• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warning for NJ residents

Jtspendy

was speaking with the municipal court prosecutor about Historic registrations and was advised in NJ the vehicles are only allowed to be used for parades and car shows, any other use and the vehicle can be towed by the police and the driver issued an unregistered vehicle ticket. Not every cop will do that to you but all it takes is one with a bug up his butt, or the ranger who's pissed your back on a trail with your truck.

Jtspendy

yeah its written on the top of the application for historic plates to be sure everyone understands they are not for regular use on the road in NJ, goes with all the other stupid NJ laws, 10 more years and I am free from this police state

Jtspendy

we are all adults, just giving everyone a heads up, make your own decisions on what you want to do, but if your going to use historic plates be sure you own a second vehicle with normal plates you can claim is your DD if you do run into that one PITA who pushes the issue

91W350

I want to see a cop bust balls. Ill drive over the cop car if he gave me a ticket. every cop i see gives me the thumbs up
That will really show people how great the hobby is, overhaul your insurance rates and make your bondsman happy. Not sure you should have anything larger than Prius.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Historic Vehicle reg is never intended as a daily driver and your only vehicle.

That's just the way it is, everywhere.

Don't forget, it's a Judge that has the final decision, not the police.

BTW, Do they use capitalization, proper grammar and sentences in NJ? That's mandatory here on SS!:deadhorse:

Big Z

I just checked NE's historical limitations: may only be used for test drives, parades and hobby-related activities...Trucks with Historical plates may not be used for commercial business or transport a load in excess of 1,000 pounds

Sounds fair here. The car shows/parades only? That sucks. I personally wouldn't register a deuce historic, cause then you can't get use them for work..buuuut I can see why many people, particularly town people would like to take advantage of historical registration. Not with rules like that though..

SteveKuhn

From the samples guide at http://www.nj.gov/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/historic-samples.pdf with qualifying/non-qualifying photos and reasons for same:

"Use this helpful guide – with sample photos – to qualify for historic vehicle registration.
Historic registration may be assigned to an antique vehicle which is at least 25 years old.
Vehicle requirements:
• Owned as a collector’s item
• Used solely for exhibition or educational purposes
• Cannot be altered from the manufacturer’s original design in any way
• Equipped for legal operation on NJ roadways
"

From the application at http://www.nj.gov/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/SP-121.pdf

"...I, the applicant, hereby certify that the vehicle described above will be solely used for exhibition and educational purposes and that the statements on this application are correct..."

Steve

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JTSPENDY, I hear ya about New Jersey, Police State is an understatement. I lived in Raritan and got hosed a few times from the Branchburg cops. Seemed to me and my lawyers at the time the cops were out writing tickets for laws that did not exist and were getting away with it in Court.

I got a ticket for warming my truck up in my driveway. The cop opened my door, removed the key and put it in his pocket. I was Irate which made it worse, but in the end and after $12,000.00 in lawyer fees and about a week in Court I got my Key back and the charges dropped. My point is. Watch yourself around Branchburg, they are Nazis there.

PaFarmer

The vehicles are to be used for "exhibition and educational purposes". Car shows and parades are two good examples of such purposes, but far from an exhaustive list. Not suprising that the prosecutor reads the law too narrow, often they are narrow minded.

I am always amused when folks run lawyers down. It is also funny how folks call a lawyer when the police, a judge, their municipality or neighbor misinterprets or misapplies the law and interferes with their legal rights.

This issue is one of those "you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride". I am not giving legal advice, but it might be helpful to have a copy of the applicable portion of the vehicle code addressing historic registration, kept in your glove box. If you get stopped and questioned about your vehicle, you can give your license, registration and copy of the law to the cop.

Exhibition use would seem to include pleasure rides, not just shows and parades.

Off roading would seem to be both exhibition and educational use.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DarwinT, has the right Idea. Just put a personal plate on it. Non Historical then you can do what you want without any problems with Johnny law..

B3.3T

The law reads the same in Ohio, but in 18 years, including lots of wheeled armor and lots of driving around, with no plates displayed, I've never been pulled over. The "test drive" clause is my excuse should it ever occur.

ctsvnino

jersey sucks for every hobby. too many laws and restrictions. all they want is money and about politics. thats why i move out of the state bc its getting worse everyday. but commercial plates is way to go if u you use alot if not go with historical plates.aua

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, what better state did you move to?

BTW, our site rules require your state be listed in your personal info.

Did they drop English, in school and I missed it?