• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wasps! Anybody else have problems with them making nests?

Ilikemtb999

These little buggers just will not leave my cucv alone. I keep finding small nests around it (underneath, door jams, under hood) and no matter how quickly I remove and spray with wasp killer they seem to just try somewhere else. Short of covering the entire vehicle in poison does anybody have any remedies? Most things I've found are about killing ones that have already started a nest, I'd be more thrilled to prevent them from ever starting!

red

Common problem, I think it has to do with the CARC paint since they go for these vehicles much more than vehicles with regular paint.

Following to see what you find out.

glaser06

Drive it more? Lol, seriously though other than covering it or parking indoors, I think you're gonna be SOL.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call an exterminator and ask their advise.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like mentioned, cover it with a tarp or net, store it inside or drive it often.
Have wasp spray ready for any discovery.

That's it.
Nothing else you can do.

Red wasp and mud daubers are problem here.
The red wasp are very aggressive. Not fun.

Nothing I own sits longer than three days in one spot.
Seems to help reduce, but not prevent, the issue.

Its just part of summer

3jumpjeep

Mine was fine 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I own the door and the dirty red commie wasp had at me. I was armed with spray and got him on the wing. Then I went around filling all the usual spots with spray.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cucvrus

CARC paint has nothing to do with as you know. I get paper wasps in new trucks. If it is parked near grass they will chew grass and make a nest in the door jams and every where they can get in into. The paper wasp species is pretty docile. The black wasp is very aggressive and the Hornet/Yellow jacket is pure murder. I had European Wasps in the right front fender of an M1009 and I used a shop vacuum to get them out. It was comical. I just set up a hose and plastic pipe about 20 ft long and taped it at the marker light (during darkness)where they were going in and turned on the vacuum. European wasps are about 2 inches or better long and come out at night and attack light. They have a wide flight range and I have found they do not get very aggressive the shear sight of them is scary. I vacuumed up about 150 200 of them big things. I would spray bee killer in thru the air intake on the vacuum. It was a scary sight. I then forgot they were in the vacuum and in the heat of summer I smelled something like a dead mouse. And I was surprised that them bees had the same smell as a dead mouse. I guess it is alive it has tissue and blood and will rot. Now that I grossed you out enjoy your coffee. But bees just look for places to stay out of the weather and they like warmth. I have a beginners bee hive I am trying just to help the poor honey bees out. It is very intereseting hobby. It can help save the planet. Super Bee. Have a great day.

Ilikemtb999

CARC paint has nothing to do with as you know. I get paper wasps in new trucks. If it is parked near grass they will chew grass and make a nest in the door jams and every where they can get in into. The paper wasp species is pretty docile. The black wasp is very aggressive and the Hornet/Yellow jacket is pure murder. I had European Wasps in the right front fender of an M1009 and I used a shop vacuum to get them out. It was comical. I just set up a hose and plastic pipe about 20 ft long and taped it at the marker light (during darkness)where they were going in and turned on the vacuum. European wasps are about 2 inches or better long and come out at night and attack light. They have a wide flight range and I have found they do not get very aggressive the shear sight of them is scary. I vacuumed up about 150 200 of them big things. I would spray bee killer in thru the air intake on the vacuum. It was a scary sight. I then forgot they were in the vacuum and in the heat of summer I smelled something like a dead mouse. And I was surprised that them bees had the same smell as a dead mouse. I guess it is alive it has tissue and blood and will rot. Now that I grossed you out enjoy your coffee. But bees just look for places to stay out of the weather and they like warmth. I have a beginners bee hive I am trying just to help the poor honey bees out. It is very intereseting hobby. It can help save the planet. Super Bee. Have a great day.
Forgive me, but what does any of this have to do with PREVENTING wasps from trying to nest in/under my vehicle? If you don't have relavent information to the topic than why post?

Ilikemtb999

Like mentioned, cover it with a tarp or net, store it inside or drive it often.
Have wasp spray ready for any discovery.

That's it.
Nothing else you can do.

Red wasp and mud daubers are problem here.
The red wasp are very aggressive. Not fun.

Nothing I own sits longer than three days in one spot.
Seems to help reduce, but not prevent, the issue.

Its just part of summer
Few things terrify me more than small flying death machines. Glad we don't have anything like that here. Covering it or parking indoors unfortunately aren't options. I do need to drive it more but sometimes it's down for weeks while it gets worked on.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Totally understand if a vehicle is down for maintenance.

I have to cover vents and ports on RV with wire mesh to prevent mud daubers from causing havoc.
That works very well.
They leave you alone unless you really try to get stung.

The red wasp, are just plain evil.
If you get even close, they will attack and chase you.
Suckers are inventive on nest placement.
Usually where you least expect it.

I dont have the luxury to have everything stored inside.
Tarps are impractical for most things.
So I just move things around.
Only get the occasional nest with that method.

I wish there was a 100% solution, besides winter.

cucvrus

Forgive me, but what does any of this have to do with PREVENTING wasps from trying to nest in/under my vehicle? If you don't have relavent information to the topic than why post?
Well excuse me for being involved. Relevant not relavent. I have a question. How can I prevent weeds from growing up around the tires on my M1009? Same thing. It is a no brainer question that maybe you could ask on facebook page. Really. You ask I told you. The answers were given by others. No ones answer is wrong. Everyday spray bee killer in the door jams and anything else where bees can enter. Then get bee traps and hang them near by. That is my help. Now tell me about my weeds. Oh what am I to do? they keep getting higher. Really if you want to be a whiner about that you have other issues besides bee's. Have a great day. Friendly conversation among Men sharing the same hobby.

Ilikemtb999

Well excuse me for being involved. Relevant not relavent. I have a question. How can I prevent weeds from growing up around the tires on my M1009? Same thing. It is a no brainer question that maybe you could ask on facebook page. Really. You ask I told you. The answers were given by others. No ones answer is wrong. Everyday spray bee killer in the door jams and anything else where bees can enter. Then get bee traps and hang them near by. That is my help. Now tell me about my weeds. Oh what am I to do? they keep getting higher. Really if you want to be a whiner about that you have other issues besides bee's. Have a great day. Friendly conversation among Men sharing the same hobby.
They're wasps, not bees. You told a story about filling a vacuum full of wasps or bees. That doesn't help me and you seem to have a history of irrelevant long winded posts. I was looking for some sort of repellant or home remedy and figured this forum would have plenty of vehicles that sat more than they were driven. What's a Facebook?

Last edited:

NV555

I just wanted to throw in there no problems with wasps however feral cats like to get into the vehicle and sleep on the seats male's spray which i think I would rather have the wasps. Just saying

Jeeperjoe

i removed about 4 nests from mine so far while working on it, of course the PO didnt drive it and i drive it daily, i will have to keep an eye out for them but i dont anticipate an issues with it being my DD

3jumpjeep

I just wanted to throw in there no problems with wasps however feral cats like to get into the vehicle and sleep on the seats male's spray which i think I would rather have the wasps. Just saying
Moth Balls may help displace the cats. Beyond that there are hunting and trapping options.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

99nouns

We are like a big family here, there are members who talk about their Cadillac engines in an MV threads so that's how you know we are really close, but I do suggest you guys become in-laws if you got the means... lol

Oh by the way I spray 80%diesel 20%ATF mix in non paint surfaces and WD-40 on paint surfaces helps me for the wasps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks