• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wasps! Anybody else have problems with them making nests?

cucvrus

Ever heard of the doghead mod?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Yes I heard of that hack job. Where you cut the wiring up and put this big ugly solenoid under the dash. Now whats your point? I have over 30 years behind the wheel of many CUCV's and never needed it yet. Like I said before. The problem is caused by hard starting low amperage. If you have a fear of this failure. Simply turn the stock relay around and have the plug facing the firewall. If it should happen. And it may. Pull the plug. The cranking action stops. If you don't have time to do that stand there and watch it burn. My point is the modification can be done with a different direct plug in relay. No cutting of the wiring and it is as simple as that. My experience has been to fix the current problem and not redesign the vehicle. It is to easy to hack things up because someone told you to. Trust me. You do NOT need to cut the plug from the harness. But do as you wish. What do I know? What would you do if the strter was stuck in the ring gear? It would still be cranking. Thank you to the people that I have helped. Even if it is just 1. Have a Happy Easter. And do what ever you want to your CUCV. It is not mine. I am just a back woods guy that get by on common sense and know how. Someone out there makes an excellent plug and play relay. I have a few in use. Someday, someday he may release it to sell. Have a Great Day.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Friendly conversation among Men sharing the same hobby.
Yes I heard of that hack job. Where you cut the wiring up and put this big ugly solenoid under the dash. Now whats your point? I have over 30 years behind the wheel of many CUCV's
You know it's just fine when you do not agree with something but, you totally lack tact.

There is no reason to post such rude arrogant negativity all the time.

Your know it all attitude really shines through, so no need to spit on us idiots after you kicked us in the face.

Please tone it down a bit...

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know it's just fine when you do not agree with something but, you totally lack tact.

There is no reason to post such rude arrogant negativity all the time.

Your know it all attitude really shines through, so no need to spit on us idiots after you kicked us in the face.

Please tone it down a bit...
As a kid I learned the hard way to never kick a "bees nest". I think all should just chill out on such a childish skirmish "let alone on Easter" .

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spray white lithium into drain hoses on my RV and breather vents on my M915. This keeps the mud dobbers from plugging them up.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wanted to throw in there no problems with wasps however feral cats like to get into the vehicle and sleep on the seats male's spray which i think I would rather have the wasps. Just saying
Sounds like good target practice.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Against red wasps?!
Fog and run like the wind, because they will be after you.
The hotter it gets, the more aggressive they are.

They are pure evil........
Yellow Jackets aren't as bad as red wasps.
Around here anyway.

Reminds me
Have to go to farm store and get a case of wasp spray.

They only live for 30 days, but boy they can multiply.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmmmm.........

Stung by wasp
Lots of swear words and a few days for the pain to go away.

Bite from Black Widow spider.
Few days of misery, followed by death.

Nope
Thats not a fun side note LOL!

MarcusOReallyus

Bite from Black Widow spider.
Few days of misery, followed by death.
Death from a black widow bite is rare, unless you happen to be a male black widow, in which case, it's pretty much a done deal. :mrgreen:

Back to the wasps: I had wondered if the CARC paint were more hospitable to them than regular automotive paint, because my CUCV is the only vehicle on my property that has a problem with wasp nests.

The fact that some nests show up in cars with regular paint does not in any way prove otherwise - it's a matter of frequency. For example, if it could be shown that CUCVs with CARC paint get nests 2x or 10x more than vehicles without CARC, the point would be proven.

Furthermore, there is a plausible mechanism that could explain wasps finding CARC attractive. Because of the silica content, the surface is rough, and this might make it easier for them to anchor their nests.

It's an interesting question, but we aren't going to settle it with personal anecdotes.

Thanks for those who contributed useful suggestions. I think I'll try the WD-40 treatment. I might as well - I already have the passenger side door treated with Rotella because one of my boys left a quart bottle of it lying around and my wife ran over it with the van. It was pointed straight at my truck, and the spray pattern was impressive! aua

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wasps are really bad to get into any protected area on farm machinery too. I prefer to spray them with a full can of WD40 or any other spray lube instead of chemicals. Spray directly on a nest and they can not fly and will drop to the ground where you can mash them. I believe CARC paint attracts rats and mice too. I would rather contend with wasps than rats anytime! Oh by the way you can put pure Clorox bleach on a wasp sting and it neutralizes it fast!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks