• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waste fuels and filtering

Cgzmt

I am currently in the process of purchasing my first M35. I work for an airline up north that hauls all the freight and fuel into the northern reserves. I usually fly the super tanker, the fuel hauler, and always have residual left in the tanks. Every time we switch fuels we have to flush then dispose of the fuel. So right now there is a surplus of waste fuel barrels containing everything from unleaded, commercial, jet a, and turbine oils. So I have permission to misappropriate this fuel but now the dilemma, how to filter it? Most of it is clean, but I am sure sitting outside some water has gotten in, dirt and dust from the decanting procedure. I know I should wait for winter, all solids and water will sublimate to the bottom of the barrel, but I would like to get fuel year round. Should I be going the paper filter route, centrifugal filter, multiple high pressure filter, step down setup? How fine should I filter it down too? Most filters take it done to 15-30ppm, but should I take it all the way down to one? Thanks any and all for the help!

Beyond Biodiesel

I am currently in the process of purchasing my first M35. I work for an airline up north that hauls all the freight and fuel into the northern reserves. I usually fly the super tanker, the fuel hauler, and always have residual left in the tanks. Every time we switch fuels we have to flush then dispose of the fuel. So right now there is a surplus of waste fuel barrels containing everything from unleaded, commercial, jet a, and turbine oils. So I have permission to misappropriate this fuel
Very nice. I wish I had it.
but now the dilemma, how to filter it? Most of it is clean, but I am sure sitting outside some water has gotten in, dirt and dust from the decanting procedure. I know I should wait for winter, all solids and water will sublimate to the bottom of the barrel, but I would like to get fuel year round. Should I be going the paper filter route, centrifugal filter, multiple high pressure filter, step down setup? How fine should I filter it down too? Most filters take it done to 15-30ppm, but should I take it all the way down to one? Thanks any and all for the help!
Since all your fuel started out clean, and may only have collected the odd particle and some water, then the water is going to settle to the bottom of the barrels fairly rapidly, so just do not pump the bottom 10%. Just get yourself a decent transfer pump (20gpm); then filter the rest through a standard transfer pump filter and you should be good go. I would make sure the filter on the transfer pump has a water separator on it.

svd dragunov

I am currently in the process of purchasing my first M35. I work for an airline up north that hauls all the freight and fuel into the northern reserves. I usually fly the super tanker, the fuel hauler, and always have residual left in the tanks. Every time we switch fuels we have to flush then dispose of the fuel. So right now there is a surplus of waste fuel barrels containing everything from unleaded, commercial, jet a, and turbine oils. So I have permission to misappropriate this fuel but now the dilemma, how to filter it? Most of it is clean, but I am sure sitting outside some water has gotten in, dirt and dust from the decanting procedure. I know I should wait for winter, all solids and water will sublimate to the bottom of the barrel, but I would like to get fuel year round. Should I be going the paper filter route, centrifugal filter, multiple high pressure filter, step down setup? How fine should I filter it down too? Most filters take it done to 15-30ppm, but should I take it all the way down to one? Thanks any and all for the help!
You lucky dog.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks