• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Watch out for straps

Injunfarian

I noticed one of them even pulled down a tower that was attached to one of the buildings. It's a wonder that it didn't collapse and fall to one side and hit someone! In the timber industry tall, thin trees like that are called "Widow Makers", and for good reason!
Not sure if we were watching the same video but noone was even close to the tower(The tower was at the back of the house and closest person to the house was the camera man and he was still long out of the range of the tower.

Now he was in range of a strap and yes that was dangerous and not well planned out. Luckily they all held up and noone was injured.

Kalashnikov

"I never use straps because they are too delicate and don't last. Two chains with a tire in the middle works very well for snatching. As long as your chains have the proper capacity and are inspected regularly then you shouldn't be breaking them. Quality chains have a 5 to 1 safety factory on their working load limit. A strap breaking is much deadlier than a hcain since they store kenetic energy. Chain's don't stretch like a strap."

All wrong. wow. What would rather have hit you a chunk of steel or nylon?:cookoo:
A tire ? really ? what happens when that rips in half and then the chain comes at you ?

Also NEVER EVER USE A TOW BALL AS AN ATTACHMENT POINT! they can bust off and become deadly projectiles!
I think you should include some facts to support why I'm "all wrong" instead of of just calling me out with nothing to back it up. The strap is traveling a lot faster than a chain when it snaps.
There is always and "if" factor in any kind of recovery. It's a risk we all take.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the correct strap for the job and it won't break. I've dealt with flying straps and flying chains. I don't care for either but the strap leaves less damage. If you use the correct device for the job you are trying to accomplish, and do it correctly, there is a minimal chance of breakage. Straps! As indicated earlier, there are many kinds and each has a specific application. I never use recovery straps when lifting with my wrecker but I do use straps. I find straps more forgiving and if used right, the kinetic energy that they can store can be used to your advantage. Case in point, Ferro got his nearly 20,000# M818 stuck at the GA Rally. The front bumper was at ground level. It was retrieved by a single deuce. There were lots of folks looking on and I can assure you that there is no way in heck that recovery could have been accomplished with a chain. The right tool for that job was the 60,000# recovery strap and correct application of kinetic energy. Subsequently if we were doing a winch recovery I would have left that strap put away and got out the 5/8 chain. Chains aren't the only tool nor are straps. For recovery though, I'd rather risk my noggen with a strap over a chain. Chains don't stretch, they break.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There is a proper way to use the strap, chain, and not mentioned cable, each way is different, this is how people get hurt/killed and things tore up, not using the proper method with the proper tool

Ghost2012

The sad part is when someone steps up and asks everyone to get out of the danger zone he automatically gets labeled "that guy"

Personally I'd rather have "that guy" on my recovery crew than most of the drunken idiots that you see at the ORV areas.
I ran into that at the river the other day. I tried to warn them off and they were too busy taking pictures on cells, drinking beer and laughing.

Dumbasses.

Injunfarian

The issue with the shed tear down was both the placement of the straps as well as one of the straps used. It was a weather worn strap that should have been cut up and thrown in the garbage but I was not the wiser and decided to use it.

wdbtchr

I've straightened out a few 5 ton hooks over the years, but you just can't "yank" a chain it will break. Go with a slow steady pull.:roll:

"Hold my beer and watch this!"[thumbzup]

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a whole lot of poor planning in that video. The buildings should have been dismantled or torn down with the normal backhoe or trackhoe. Just because it looks cool doesn't mean you should do it.

panshark

Ron makes a good point, in that no one is suggesting using a cable. I know why I don't use a cable--I don't have the experience to feel qualified to use it. You hear stories about cables snapping, it seems like it's the worst of both worlds (chains and straps).

Of course, sometimes we get backed into corners, and get On the Job Training.

Any pointers on using cables for recovery work?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron makes a good point, in that no one is suggesting using a cable. I know why I don't use a cable--I don't have the experience to feel qualified to use it. You hear stories about cables snapping, it seems like it's the worst of both worlds (chains and straps).

Of course, sometimes we get backed into corners, and get On the Job Training.

Any pointers on using cables for recovery work?
I've always been told to drape a large floor mat or heavy blanket over the cable to help dampen the recoil if it fails.
Unless you have a fairlead roller, ALWAYS pull with the reel directly lined up with whatever you're pulling.
NEVER wrap the cable around itself or hook onto itself, it weakens it and will damage it. Choker cables shouldn't be used on somthing with sharp corners.
Know the limits of the cable obviously.
Regularly inspect it for frays, kinks, corrosion or wear.

There's more I'm sure, that's just off the top of my head. And as usual, if it doesn't look right, it probably ain't! BE SAFE!!

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This quote from that link says it all: "Despite many anecdotal stories, they could not locate a single definitive case of someone being sliced in half by a cable. There have been plenty of fatalities, but no one sliced in half."
Yup, not just from the cable either. We had a woman killed on the outerbelt a few years ago when a tow truck driver used a snatch block too small to retrieve a semi. I think it was rated at 10k. It flew apart under the load and went through her windshield as she drove by killing her. They did charge him, don't remember what the sentance was.

Injunfarian

Yup, not just from the cable either. We had a woman killed on the outerbelt a few years ago when a tow truck driver used a snatch block too small to retrieve a semi. I think it was rated at 10k. It flew apart under the load and went through her windshield as she drove by killing her. They did charge him, don't remember what the sentance was.
I recall that story from another forum, just goes to show how things can change in a matter of seconds.

NSCoyote

as tis been pointed out, know your gear, and use it as it was intended to be used. recovery straps, lifting straps, cables, chains, snatch blocks, etc the yall have a use and ideal situation. there are several tech manuals on receovery and rigging on site, as well if your going to be doing any great deal of it look in to a course such as wreckmasters. cause trust me all it takes is for one oops on a recovery to ruin your life or someone elses.

yes i do have expierience with proper and unproper winching/recovery

HORNETD

Also, not all straps are yank straps. It pays to know your equipment.
Your tag line suggests that you might enjoy a quote from a very wise fire chief. "Lock a team of fire fighters in a maximum security prison cell. Provide them with bag lunches so that they won't whine too much. Before you leave kick in two ship unloading crane ball bearings that are eight inches in diameter and made of Molybdenum Steel. Check the firefighters for tools of any kind and relieve them of them until they come out. When you come back at the end of their shift one of those ball bearings will be broken. The other one will be missing. Not one person on that crew will have the faintest idea how either of those events occurred!

--
Tom H

HORNETD

"I never use straps because they are too delicate and don't last. Two chains with a tire in the middle works very well for snatching. As long as your chains have the proper capacity and are inspected regularly then you shouldn't be breaking them. Quality chains have a 5 to 1 safety factory on their working load limit. A strap breaking is much deadlier than a hcain since they store kenetic energy. Chain's don't stretch like a strap."

All wrong. wow. What would rather have hit you a chunk of steel or nylon?:cookoo:
A tire ? really ? what happens when that rips in half and then the chain comes at you ?

Also NEVER EVER USE A TOW BALL AS AN ATTACHMENT POINT! they can bust off and become deadly projectiles!
Once again I am learning something I did not know. I have a two inch draw bar hitch on a box frame that is attached to my work van's frame in four places. I had believed that was the safest point to use when assisting a motorist that is stranded in a bad spot in moving to a safer place usually within a hundred feet of were they were. If the towing ball is a bad attachment point what should I be using? I have seen hooks on draw bars that can be placed in the receiver. Are they a good substitute? Would it be OK to use a moderately sized pintle hitch? I assume it should not be one of the combination ball and pintle types.

--
Tom Horne

KsM715

Use one of the hooks that slide into a 2" receiver hitch. The "ball" wasn't designed for the kind of shockload it will see when trying to "yank" someone that is stuck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks