• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water fording kit for 5 Ton

TacticalDoc

I wen through all 20 something pages of the 5 ton mods forum and haven't see one on a water fording kit mad for the 5 ton. What would it to make a fording stack/snorkel?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The air intake comes up behind the cab almost to the top of the cab on 939 series so I doubt a snorkle was used .
The fording kit has more to do with putting low air pressure in the axles and bellhousing to keep water out.

The M923 dropside cargo truck is designed to transport personnel and supplies over all types of roads and terrain, and in all weather conditions. It is capable of fording thirty inches without the fording kit and seventy-eight inches with the fording kit.

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

The air intake comes up behind the cab almost to the top of the cab on 939 series so I doubt a snorkle was used .
The fording kit has more to do with putting low air pressure in the axles and bellhousing to keep water out. They are limited to 50 or 60 iches of water fording and 24 inches or so without the kit.
do the axles have the valves like the M35A2? can you plug the bell housing like in the deuce?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a 923a1 with fording kit. The lever opens a set of valves on top of the engine and there are lines going all over. I believe it pressurizes the axles and all fluid reservoirs to prevent water infiltration. It should be good for around 6 feet with the single tires. I have never tried it though.

TacticalDoc

The bell housing has the same plug , never looked into what the axles have.
the bell housing is an easy fix. an elbow with ball valve can be used. but if it requires more hoses and work on the motor I guess its not worth it. Whats the water fording depth on the 5tons now w/o fording kit

Jakelc15

I vented the axles, transmission, transfer case, fuel tanks, and master cylinder (m809) up to the firewall.
No quite the true mil fording kit but it should help minimize my maintenance after I get into a little puddle!

I plan to run a mini regulator and another dash valve to pressurize the system to 3-5 psi.

TacticalDoc

I vented the axles, transmission, transfer case, fuel tanks, and master cylinder (m809) up to the firewall.
No quite the true mil fording kit but it should help minimize my maintenance after I get into a little puddle!

I plan to run a mini regulator and another dash valve to pressurize the system to 3-5 psi.
I did something similar with the deuce I owned. I ran tubing from the axles and gas tank up to the back of the cab. I also did bypassed the air pump to the air filter and put a snorkel on air intake.

Jakelc15

With your geographic locality, I think you'll see a little more deep water than I will. The mil fording kit was revised several times through out the years. The complete, everything you can add on, kit is just overkill. Everything is pressurized and air is drawn in through a snorkel above the cab. The lowest thing requiring air is the driver! I guess their thinking was drivers were easier to replace than trucks at one time.

country

Supporting Vendor
fordkit2.jpgfordkit.jpgWe have NOS fording kits in stock for M54 series 5 ton, I am sure they can be modified to your application
(ALL-5134) Deep Water Fording Kit- New-Old-Stock (NOS), ( originally designed for 5-ton Multifuel powered trucks- but may be adaptable to other vehicles), NSN 2540-00-757-9945, PN 5703536- These kits are packed in the original boxes inside original wooden crates $395 per kit
email dave@easternsurplus.net
toll free 855-332-0500

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The m939 trucks already have tall intake and exhaust. The fording kit pressurizes the drivetrain components and things like the power steering reservoir. I think the older fording kit would need major modification to fit. There are lines running all over the place in my truck.

TacticalDoc

so in an emergency it should water ford well when water fills the cab and wont stall? you just need to change out the fluids later?

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The theory is that major components have a little positive air pressure in them so water won't get in. Personally i would do some testing before i decided to take a 25 year old truck into 6 feet of water. It was intended for crossing streams and small waterways. You dont want to leave the fording kit engaged for too long it can damage seals over time and cause other issues.

TacticalDoc

The theory is that major components have a little positive air pressure in them so water won't get in. Personally i would do some testing before i decided to take a 25 year old truck into 6 feet of water. It was intended for crossing streams and small waterways. You dont want to leave the fording kit engaged for too long it can damage seals over time and cause other issues.
I mean with out a fording kit on the truck as it is can water ford into water reaching the cab and still run. But later will need the fluids replaced.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I would give that a maybe. I started a thread a while back on fording. I dont know how to link it to here sorry. Different members gave their opinions and experiences. I believe the air filter area is a weak spot there is an o-ring seal if that is not properly seated you could suck in water. But I believe this could be the case with a fording kit also. I have to look at my truck and see if it has a better seal than normal. I believe with super single tires 3 feet should be ok (if your air filter is properly sealed) but you will have to do a PM after just to play it safe. Another member said he extended all the vent lines from the xfer case, trans and axles up to the top of the intake stack and he did ok in mud. I think if you want to zip thru a 3 foot flooded underpass for a few seconds you should be fine. An A2 truck may fare better in the axles the seals may be tighter since they have to hold the ctis air flow. The axle chuck vent may be the same though. How much water are you planning on going thru and for how long?

TacticalDoc

I would give that a maybe. I started a thread a while back on fording. I dont know how to link it to here sorry. Different members gave their opinions and experiences. I believe the air filter area is a weak spot there is an o-ring seal if that is not properly seated you could suck in water. But I believe this could be the case with a fording kit also. I have to look at my truck and see if it has a better seal than normal. I believe with super single tires 3 feet should be ok (if your air filter is properly sealed) but you will have to do a PM after just to play it safe. Another member said he extended all the vent lines from the xfer case, trans and axles up to the top of the intake stack and he did ok in mud. I think if you want to zip thru a 3 foot flooded underpass for a few seconds you should be fine. An A2 truck may fare better in the axles the seals may be tighter since they have to hold the ctis air flow. The axle chuck vent may be the same though. How much water are you planning on going thru and for how long?
I don't plan on going through water but I would like to know the trucks limits in case I do. I read those threads and when I had my deuce it was easy enough to make a fording kit. But, on the 5 ton I'm not sure. It doesn't make sense to put the air intake above the cab which is standard on the M923 if it cant water ford to that level. I suspect that it can ford water well into the cab. The only issue would be after fording you would need to change the seals and fluids in the axle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks