• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water fording kit for 5 Ton

Jakelc15

The intake was put up high to keep the dust out, desert conditions are hard on stuff. The air filter is the same from the 60's m809 series. I've heard the hmmwv wheel o rings make good air cleaner seals.
To check your seal, pour some oil into the air cleaner and seal it up, if it leaks out you know water will get in.
It is a common practice to pour a quart of oil in there while in desert sand conditions.

I'd be concerned with the vent on that expensive transmission also.

Yesterday I drove my truck through water up to the tires not that I wanted to but that I had to. Mine has the fording kit on it and it did fine but I will have to check all the fluids and make sure no water got in anywhere. The air cleaner got under water and I saw no sign of water entering it so the seal must have worked. Under an emergency situation these trucks will go through some pretty deep water.

TacticalDoc

Yesterday I drove my truck through water up to the tires not that I wanted to but that I had to. Mine has the fording kit on it and it did fine but I will have to check all the fluids and make sure no water got in anywhere. The air cleaner got under water and I saw no sign of water entering it so the seal must have worked. Under an emergency situation these trucks will go through some pretty deep water.
that's what I thought ...don't plan on going deep but if there is a flood and I have to ford I want to know that its capable

Rkrug

Here are some pics of the kit for the 939 series I got most of the parts at a military salvage yard and I am working on installing them on my truck.
Pics I took before I removed the parts off the junk truck
IMG_0725.jpgIMG_0724.jpg

Rifleman

Rkurg correct me if i am wrong but it looks like from your photo they are using the pressure from the crankcase vent as the source of the pressure to pressurize everything else, is that correct? If that is not the source of the pressure then where does the truck get the air pressure from to pressurize everything, is there a hook up to the air compressor that i can't see in your photo. Now does that knob on your dash that you pull to work the system connect to those two ball valves in your photo?

Last edited:

Rkrug

Rkurg correct me if i am wrong but it looks like from your photo they are using the pressure from the crankcase vent as the source of the pressure to pressurize everything else, is that correct? If that is not the source of the pressure then where does the truck get the air pressure from to pressurize everything, is there a hook up to the air compressor that i can't see in your photo. Now does that knob on your dash that you pull to work the system connect to those two ball valves in your photo?
The system gets compressed air from a regulator mounted by the air horn, when you pull the dash valve it closes of the atmospheric vent and then opens anther valve to pressurize the system.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the fording valve is in the fording pisition the crankcase breather tube is shut down. This is another reason they want you to release the valve right after fording as the crankcase pressures will build up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks