• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water in crankcase

myimpala1

I picked up a 1045a2 from auction. It has water in the crankcase but isn't rusty. I haven't tried to start it yet. What are the odds I empty all the water and oil, add fresh oil, change filter and try to start it and everything be OK? I remember reading people successfully doing this but can't find the post.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somewhere there is a procedure for flushing the crankcase, but can't remember where it is.
Basic procedure is:
1) drain all oil/water
2) fill with 50% oil and 50% diesel
3) idle engine 30 minutes
4) drain engine
5)refill with oil to proper level

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would probably drain the oil and remove glow plugs and turn it over by hand. I wouldn’t want to turn it over with water in the cylinders and no path to get out. Fill it with oil and start from there. I probably wouldn’t change the filter because I would change oil and filter after it runs for 30 minutes or so. How much water was in it? You had to drain oil already to know it has water in it.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldnt water be in the combustion chambers if it got in thru thevintake? Slowly seeping past the rings?
If it’s up to the dipstick it would have to be everywhere you don’t want it. I don’t think it’s possible under any circumstance other than trying to fill it up with water to get that high. Head gaskets cracked block nothing natural gets it to that level

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it had oil in it it could easily fill to the top of the dipstick, water is heavier than oil so it could "push" the oil up higher than the place where the water was getting in, and yes when water gets into the combustion chambers it goes past the rings, I would not bother going through all the trouble of pulling the glow plugs unless it was not completely stuck and I met resistance while trying to turn by hand, you should always try to turn an engine in the same direction as it runs (clockwise looking from the front) but if it will not turn that way try a little bit the other if it will turn at all but not all the way around THEN try pulling the glow plugs otherwise it is just a waste of time as it might look like this inside, this engine is TOAST
11.jpg
This engine had the oil drained (USAF) but the water was WAY up on the dipstick
EDIT, if the intake was left off and it filled with water it WILL look like this inside, it takes time to completely fill an engine but does not take too long to do this kind of damage, also the water that came out of the crank case was perfectly clear, no rust at all.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a 1045a2 from auction. It has water in the crankcase but isn't rusty. I haven't tried to start it yet. What are the odds I empty all the water and oil, add fresh oil, change filter and try to start it and everything be OK? I remember reading people successfully doing this but can't find the post.
You did not say if the intake was off, if it was the motor is toast as these have sat for so long between the time they last worked on it to the time it is turned over to DRMO to the time they actually list it to the time you actually take possession is usually several years, I did not have to use a bore scope to know this engine was worthless all I needed was to see this picture on GP.
3014358_8223_11860_0001.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would probably drain the oil and remove glow plugs and turn it over by hand. I wouldn’t want to turn it over with water in the cylinders and no path to get out. Fill it with oil and start from there. I probably wouldn’t change the filter because I would change oil and filter after it runs for 30 minutes or so. How much water was in it? You had to drain oil already to know it has water in it.
You should always replace a filter with an unknown history, filters are cheap, engines are not, I always fill the filter with oil even though this filter location is not designed correctly IMHO you still will not lose as much as you put into it when installing it.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can easily pull the engine over by hand with a wrench on the alternator. Go go slow and keep turning for a couple of minutes to make sure you've completed the cycles. If it clears the above test you may be ok.

If it won't move then I would pull the glow plugs, spray in the holes with the Marvel mystery oil and let it sit for at least a day then momentarily tap the starter to on and hopefully she will move. A boroscope may be useless because of the pre-cups and you won't be able to get in the cylinder to see.

Mark

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should always replace a filter with an unknown history, filters are cheap, engines are not, I always fill the filter with oil even though this filter location is not designed correctly IMHO you still will not lose as much as you put into it when installing it.
Filter will hold 12 ounces without spilling. Lol I put oil in the filter the night before I changed it and I used a measuring cup because it was in a gallon jug. I always add oil to my filters

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with the block being full of water it you have NO IDEA what other damage has been done, main and rod journals? camshaft? I would never trust an engine that has been full of water, Mogman out!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks