• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

water power deuce?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, How soon you guys forget! I've been talking and planning this for years! I've got most of the parts suppliers lined up, and some CAD drawings. When I have about 10k laying around that I need to spend, I will finally build it.

I spent most of a 6 month deployment on a ship scheming.

There is a 200hp 2000rpm 4 cylinder double expansion engine 'kit' you can purchase, it just has to be machined and built by you, the 'kit' is just the castings. Put a brownie box on it, and your good to go power and RPM wise. You would lose some of that hp, but a deuce engine is only 138 or so anyway.

You don't need a transmission. A steam engine produces maximum torque from a standstill, and it curves down from there. You control the speed simply with the throttle. The steam engine stated above, would fit in the frame rails and just forward of where the transmission sits now- you would have to modify the cab floor some, and put the brownie box between the engine and the transfer case. You Could fit a flywheel in there, but it isn't totally necessary.

This leaves almost the entire engine compartment open. Plenty of room for a water tube boiler. There are several styles, but I designed a composite of two very successful and proven designs. The Merry weather quick steaming boilers of the old 'fire' engines. You can have a full head of steam in less than 5 min- you’re supposed to warm a multi up as well before driving, so what's a few extra minutes? Also a Doble boiler, for it's free steaming and higher pressures. A water tube boiler does not have the disaster potential of a fire tube boiler.

Mount a water tank on the driver side where the spare is, and put several condensers stacked where the radiator is now, and you can reuse most of the water. Several old steam cars and British lorries could get close to 15mpg on kero- not shabby for a deuce at all.

Like I've said, I've put serious work and engineering into building one. I plan to actually do it one day.

I think the capabilities of one would surprise you, built with modern techniques and materials.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5b1aljbo2Q[/media]

91W350

Ever drive a Stanley Steamer? The power is instant, right off the bat. As the car accelerates, you actually keep backing off of the steam. The engine itself is small and sits under the back seat. The burner and boiler are what eats up the space. A new high tech boiler would do wonders for the 1908 steam engine design. The earlier Stanleys were faster than the later ones but they wasted a lot of water. They are indeed impressive, smooth, quiet and powerful. Glen

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right, it uses full boiler pressure to start- then after your rolling the timing is cut back, allowing the steam to do what it does best- expand.

I've never driven a steam car but I've run traction engines and have 2600hrs behind the throttle of various steam locomotives- plus many hours on boilers for the USN.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right, it uses full boiler pressure to start- then after your rolling the timing is cut back, allowing the steam to do what it does best- expand.

I've never driven a steam car but I've run traction engines and have 2600hrs behind the throttle of various steam locomotives- plus many hours on boilers for the USN.

Cool thoughts and some really DEEP design conceptuallations y'all have had.

Ferro, could you please post up a full size pic of that avatar you're currently using of the steam train running on flooded tracks? Thanks.

91W350

You have much more experience than I do with steam. Both Stanley cars that I drove came with owner's warnings not to go full "throttle" until the car was rolling. They both advised that the engine had enough power to break the wood spoke wheels..Whether it did or not is or was not for me to find out. I imagine relaxing a 1911 or 1916 Stanley wheel is about all my budget could stand. I did enjoy the opportunity to work on them.

Gimp, now last night (when i got side tracked at the local watering hole:beer:) it would have been a steem powered air craft.
But back to the subject at hand, I am interested in your last solution, If you have any pic's on the "gathering of hot air" concept i would be interested.....Also, is it the hotter the chick the hotter the air?

WM, I dont know alot about steam so it was just a thought for me but would direct driving the trans from the engine be out of the ? , how do the old tractors work?. It would be alot for a single person to do but it would be a sweet project for a tech school.
the steam powered plane dose exist

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6NFmcnW-8[/media]

Rockcrusher

do a gas turbine fire breather , lotsa noise an may even pull its self find one from an old solar generator was made by international or a division of had a gear box that reduced turbine speed down to 3600rpm to turn generator

Rattlewagon

Ferro, that video gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "rolling on the coal!" :-D

Some of your other avatars are pretty interesting as well.