• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ways to make a deuce quieter and warmer in the cab.

ShaggyTheGreat

So, i am buying a deuce in the near future, going to be an m35a2. Im sure more people then me want to make it quieter and warmer in them, i have been in the passenger seat and my god it loud and cold as soon as the temp gets below 40. So, ideas/products to help reduce these 2 prominent downsides to owning a deuce? Im not a fan of rolling down the motorway with earplugs/earmuffs in. A you look, odd. B i feel like i am driving blind almost, to me hearing what little you can of the outside is important. :D

shenkmen

I added an aftermarket heater, a Donaldson muffler and Sirius satellite radio piped into an aviation intercom system with "push to talk" buttons on the head sets.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most effective way to quiet a deuce is right at the audible input area. You can reduce it quite a bit but unlikely to get it comfortable without re-routing the exhaust out the back and major insulation. It's never going to be comfy, that was the absolutely the last consideration of the design.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is why a lot of truck have the "Hearing protection must be worn" sticker on the dash. They are not a new sound proof truck. These trucks where designed to move troops, not to run the the grocery store to get some milk.

What did you expect?

A member has been selling an insulation kit in the classifieds. You might check there.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hardtop, heater, winter bra, caulk all the holes, boots for the levers, muffler, new seats, civi wipers with arms and insulation. Oh and
[h=1]Carhartt coveralls[/h]

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can't gold plate a turd (well you can but then you just have an expensive turd).

Deuces were built for function not comfort. I put a lot of miles on a deuce in Germany back in the 70's. Warm in the summer, cold in the winter. I prefer the heater that mounts on the firewall verses the on that is inside the engine compartment. It seems to work a lot better as far as keeping condensation off the windows.

I added a muffler to my M275 but the effect was minimal.

As stated above there are ways to improve creature comfort slightly but it is what it is.

RAYZER

The high noise levels, extream cab temperatures and a steering wheel that you have to wrestle are all part of the Deuce's charm!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found that a blond is a good cure for both the noise and the cold. She puts her hands over your ears for the noise, and sits nice and close to you for the warmth.

gungearz

Actually boys... I did find a cure to take the bark out of the exhaust. let me explain, the stack is placed just over the height of the cab and my passengers seemed to always get headaches from leaking exhaust fumes in the cab... so I decided to add the magnaflow muffler raising the stack an additional 18"... which places the fumes and noise further out of the way... for all the banging around on the floor, I cut 3/8" rubber roofers mats to fit... without emptying the bank account, I see that as the cheapest way to do it.... but in the end, it will always sound like a deuce...

P.S... the muffler I have is hidden under the factory heat shield, so you can't even tell it's there...

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for ships and giggles, one day while you are cruising along on an unpopulated road, pop the truck in neutral and shut down the multifuel. I think you will be surprised and just how loud the truck is even without the engine running. What do troop seats and Harleys have in common?? They are both predominatly noise generators. The best mufflers you can use are the ones that cover the audible input holes of the brain housing group.

welldigger

I dunno. The muffler I added made the exhaust the least obnoxious noise in the cab. I didn't change the stack height and after it gets painted you won't even notice it there. I can go up to about 45 before needing my ear muffs. After that the drivetrain noise gets too loud for my comfort. My next step is a hard top and dynamat.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parking with the engine off does wonders for the decibel level in the cab. If you park in a heated garage, it is also nice and toasty in the cab. Sorry. Other than that, I got nothing.

KaiserM109

My M109 has the exhaust routed under the cab and out between the back duels. There's a muffler right under the passenger the size of a small kitchen trash can. The exhaust noise isn't bad.

I once insulated the floarboards of a '70 Ford F100 and was amazed at the reduction in the noise. One problem, though, it holds water and causes rust.

Maybe there's some kind of spray on foam that you could put against the sheetmetal and cover with removable floor mats so you could just hose it out.

Last edited:

peashooter

I bought some of the shift boots from Jatonka. It really helped keep the engine heat and smell out in the summer, (and probably keeps the heat in the cab in the winter). The canvas boots were high quality, but the metal retainers were not, so I ended up making my own. I'd say a muffler and the shift lever boots would be the 2 most helpful things in my opinion
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/m35shiftboots.htm

Good muffler comparison here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ffler-option&p=1485981&viewfull=1#post1485981

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks