• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, today in spite of 15-25 mph winds, I painted the seat pans, seat backs, hood halves and the supports for the front fenders. Tomorrow I begin my search for the elusive engine oil leak. Wish me luck.

Seat-Backs.jpgSeat-Backs-and-Supports.jpgHood-Halves.jpgSeat-Pans.jpg

zout

You'll find and destroy the elusive oil leak - no doubt. Cannot wait to see all that stuff getting attached and start bringing that baby together.

rrrr

After I got mine back from the rebuild it had a leak at the oil pressure line going to the filter and another going to the oil gauge. Both are now fixed and I'm working on the bed. Both beds I have are in bad and really bad shape. Its going to take even more time than planned.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking awesome rrrr! Got my seats all done today and they are put away until they are needed. Started on my rust infested cab today. It is going to be a challenge but Commander Warp assures me he has my six. I promised him I would do everything he says. :eek:

WC-Seats.jpgWC-Seat-Backs.jpgCab-Interior.jpgCab-Bottom.jpg

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Those seats are simply outstanding Brother!!:D
I know I'm used to trying to bring dead MVs back to life but I gotta tell ya, that cab looks like it's in pretty good shape to me!

I betcha ya whip that rascal into good shape in no time!:grd:

rrrr

Stick with it. My cab was also very bad and now it looks great. I didn't have big rust issues like on the bed.

zout

We have lived in our present house for 12 yrs. There is a fella just around the corner you can get glimpes of his garage interior. The story here is - there has been a Chevy pickup body on a turnstyle up against the garge wall this entire time - untouched and not moved - how I can tell is by all the chit tightly packed in around it - what a waste - an NO I never offered.

The meaning of this all is - Kent and along with many others are working on them - does not matter their pace as it depends on their available time and worse of all their available $$$$$$ to stick into them - a lot of these folks have families with kids as well.
So all is good - keep pounding away on them - but keep the pictures flowing just to show what is happening.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got around to blasting the WC51 cab and it has some serious issues. The main areas of concern are the floor at the front cab mount point and the rear area around the seat box. I started patching the cab today and decided to begin with the worst area of the front mounting points. I cleaned and shaped the patch areas and fabricated the patches. They welded in fine and dressed up okay. I fabricated two heavier gauge mounting plates and will weld them in tomorrow. These plates are what my two wooden blocks rest against between the cab and the frame mounts. Still many areas to go but I feel good about the eventual outcome.

Blasted-Cab.jpgCab Floor 1.jpgFront-Mount-Patches.jpgPatch-Dressed.jpgPatch-Close-Up.jpgMount-Reinforcement-Plate.jpgMounting-Plate-2.jpg

WolfWalking

I have a couple of scrap cab fronts you might benefit from. They look to have complete sections for you instead of the patching. Contact me if you are interested. Great looking seats by the way.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, got the front cab floor patches and mounting plates welded in today. Also, prepped the rust ridden rear hat channel for a patch and did the first rear floor patch. Hope to finish all welding tomorrow and apply DLP90 epoxy primer. Then I will pretty the patches up with Duraglass and get it ready for final body work, primer and final paint.

Drivers Side Patch.jpgPassengers-Side-Patch.jpgHat-Channel.jpgFloor-Patch-Cut-Out.jpgDrivers-Side-Floor-Patch.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks