• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

We need more Steel Soldiers rallies in 2007!

colyork

Central Maine is good for me!Lets set something up! How about something in the Greenville area? Lots of dirt roads in the paper company lands.

No.2Diesel

That would be fun IRWFO. I've not been to Bald Hill with my Deuce yet. I'm sure I would squish somebody in that sea of people. I'm always at the Hallock Farm with the local ATHS and the Antique Power Association though.

Yo Mainers. Do we have to worry about being goody-too-shoes, P.C. etc. with the insurance garbage. Do you New Englanders have a place(s) in mind?

5tonpuller

I think for most of us the $ for fuel is the killer. At 4-6 mpg that is the killer for me.
I will try the home made bio stuff this year and see if I can plug a fuel system up. LOL
I try to stay with in 2-3 hours ride. ( never been on a long run ) and brake downs make my hinny pucker at the cost of the tow. Im in new york. I know few others feel the same and if something happens I dont want to have some one loose out on the fun becuz of me. My $.05 worth. One way or another we can alwas drive a car and meet up with some one.

JDToumanian

I know few others feel the same and if something happens I dont want to have some one loose out on the fun becuz of me.
Using a towbar to drag your dead wrecker back to New York would be fun in itself! 8)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, so what is it gonna take to get this rolling? The way I see it, these are the issues:

Event requirements:

A trail ride and/or off roading, with varying degrees of difficulty
Food/beverage supply on site or nearby
Sanitation
Camping facilities, or cheap lodging nearby
At least a 2 day event to justify the time/fuel costs of travelling to the event
Good date (fair weather, no competition with major holidays)
Insurance (?)

So where are there some sites in Georgia that are acceptable? Any of you guys have any recommendations?

davesgmc

I want to do something, but the driving distance of a ferret isint too far. I dont doubt it will get there, but IF something were to happen its a bear to tow home thats for sure. I will ahve the 211 going soon, so maybe it might be a more viable ride to a rally

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing we should make sure of that there is something to do wherever the event is held, like offroading, or a trail ride, mud pit, cruise through town, etc.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
jdobyns said:
ok guys, Pinkie here, Chris there is a really nice under used State Park near me, check it out here http://www.state.va.us/dcr/parks/westmore.htm let me know what you think. I can call the park and get more info if there is enough interest.

Thanks,

J.R.
Looks like a very nice park JD. Do they have some camping spots large enough to hold a group of 15-20 vehicles, tents, etc...? Are there any trails nearby for those that might want to get a little dirty?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The way I see it gang is that we can break the Rallies out into 3 groups.

One is a meet and greet type that may be hosted at a park or campground. That would be pretty informal and easy to set up. It would be good for families, for guys that don't want to off-road their trucks, etc... The group could do a convoy though the countryside, do some wrenching projects, have a campfire, roast marshmallows, sing kum-by-ya, whatever. This would be a pay-for-yourself type.

Type two would be an off-road rally weekend. This could be hosted at a off-road park, like Haspin Acres, that carries their own liability insurance in case anything happens. Many have camping on-site or close by. This also is a pay-for-yourself type.

The 3rd would be an officially sponsored SS Rally. Devilman96 and I have been having some discussion along those lines. These could be for SS members only or for members and the paying public. They would require SS to purchase liability insurance to cover the event so there would be a fee to cover the insurace expenses plus your own lodging, camping, food and other incidentals. This type could be as large as we wanted it to be with mud drags, trail rides, tug-of-war, obstacle course, show-and-shine, vendors midway... an Aberdeen event of sorts.

I'm game to help anyone set up a type 1 or 2 rally in their area. Once you have a place in mind, we can set up a forum for it to start working out the details. If any of you are serious about getting something together for '07, PM me pronto. I am going to be working with several members about setting up a type 3 event. Stay tuned for that.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to see a "parts swap" type of thing take place at these proposed events. Perhaps a relay delivery of heavy items.
Alternate fuels discussions and demonstrations could also be included.

Towerguy1

OK it looks like The Maine event may be possible, There appears to be enough general interest. SS I'll be PMing you. At this point Im thinking a type one event with maybe a dash of type two. For those who dont have an MV or its not practical to drive one this far, Its ok to come in your car..... Ill have green and tan paint handy!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is now a Rally Area at the bottom of the Main Forum Page. Inside there is a Maine Rally section. Towerguy1 is the moderator since he has voluteered to supervise the creation of a Rally in the state of Maine. Please post all Maine related topics there to help Towerguy1 get it set up.

I will do the same for anyone else who would like to take charge of their area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks