• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

weasel in the deep

markaroe

The Cheapest way, Inner tubes and rope are cheap.
Tie inner tubes on it and inflate them. Don't over inflate as the air expands as it surfaces.
you could rig up a manifold and multiple hoses to the inner tubes and control from the surface.
that way you can dump air as it rises
1 cu ft water displaced = 63 lbs lift. figure out what you need to break it free.
tow it to shallow water or boat ramp and winch it out.

I have been on crews floating 3000 ton ships with similar principles.

The main thing is slow and steady. That is what the diesel fuel is for, but it takes a huge amount. and to risky for environmental spill. AT this depth it isn't really necessary. Maybe at 3 or 4 hundred ft. but recovery usually relies on air.

It is amazing what you can do under water. my pet frog and the duck love the stuff.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am reminded of the book RAISE THE TITANIC.

I'm thinking that that was the one where they blew/pumped ping pong balls down and into the hull until she became bouyant again and just rose to the surface with the cummulative displacement of the balls.

(I think that technique came from that book - I'll have to re-read it.)

It might be difficult to get a Weasle to "swallow" that many balls :shock: - not enough compartments to amass adequate displacement to achieve bouyancy.

Something to ponder anyway.
:grd:

markaroe

I am reminded of the book RAISE THE TITANIC.

I'm thinking that that was the one where they blew/pumped ping pong balls down and into the hull until she became bouyant again and just rose to the surface with the cummulative displacement of the balls.

(I think that technique came from that book - I'll have to re-read it.)

It might be difficult to get a Weasle to "swallow" that many balls :shock: - not enough compartments to amass adequate displacement to achieve bouyancy.

Something to ponder anyway.
:grd:
That would work for this most likely, I'd be interested to read the book, but ping pong balls should crush way before they get to the titanic unless they are filled with something like ................ diesel fuel.

man i'm fat fingering tonight.

maybe if the ping pong balls were shoved up the waist gas exit port it would think seriously about getting off the bottom.

Sorry about that you being the Chaplain and all.

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

I am so waiting for pics of this one!

Air bags attatched to the lifting points is the proper way,
but consult the local dive club and GOOGLE it!

Many other people have had to raise sunk trucks,
the resto won't be cheap, but how else would you get a weasel for $2

I might have to get a family member from Torpo, up to take some pics!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I don't think there is any warm water in Norway so hopefully it's fairly preserved. Has anyone layed eyes on it since it went down? Air bags would be proper but I'm also wondering if your M62 on a barge might be of assistance? How large is this lake? Can it bee seen on google earth? May not have barge service on the lake. Lots to think about and hey, even if you scrap the idea, only out $2.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, this is gonna be cool! Take pics of it underwater when you finally see her. I second the whole lifting with inner tubes idea, but be advised you might have to take a shovel down there to scrape away some of the muck and mud from around the resting area, it might be stuck in it and a little coaxing will be required. The way they did it in Raise the Titanic was with explosives to overcome the suction, but you don't have that option.

When it rises to the surface, just use straps or tow cables to pull closer to shore, than winch her out or pull with a large truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks