• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wehring LMTV Mods

ramdough

Justin,

Just read through your entire thread. Can you please provide the model number and where you bought your seats from?

Did you ever get you new axles?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reworked LMTV

Understand the confusion. Use to confuse me too. Took a lot of reading and listening to Will to figure it out. Think got it right now.

Like Suprman/Will says.... the ONLY air locker on 6x6's is NOT inside an axle but inside the Power Divider. Think All MTV's have this. It is used to lock the first axle ;in the pair of rear axles, to the rear most axle. 90-99%? of the time the air locker is NOT activated, thus the rear most axle just plays follow the leader and is not powered. Only in some conditions... when first gear is needed , and in offroad mode for example, is only time the computer activates the pump to send some air to the locker to activate/lock it, resulting in both rear axles being powered.

On past commercial 6x6's one manually locked the two rear axles together ONLY when needed. And unfortunately was done by forgetful or un-knowledgeable drivers when NOT needed too, resulting tearing things up. When not needed it can cause similar issues as when one drives in 4x4 on pavement where tires can't slip, causing gears to bind up. MTV uses same concepts thus in the FMTV design; as is most trucks with dual rear axles these days, locking the two rear axles together is done automatically under certain conditions to prevent damage. You can't manually activate it.
I was reading this post and have a couple of questions. I have an M1088. So these vehicles DO have built in lockers? Both rear axles become locked automatically?

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is very rare for a any of the M1088 6x6 to have a Detroit True-track. I would say that 98% of these truck are open diff's. The Detroit Locker for the meritor PN# 225-S-92 was obsoleted by 2006. The new Lockers are here and can be installed in any of the meritor RF-12 and RF-19 axles. As for the the rear tandems locked up, they are not until you through the switch on the dash to the intermediate axle.

coachgeo

I was reading this post and have a couple of questions. I have an M1088. So these vehicles DO have built-in lockers? Both rear axles become locked automatically?
Hard to tell by your question what you're asking. There is no plural lockers . There is only one locker and it is NOT inside an axle's pumpkin. So if your question is-
does it have some form of locker that locks the left and right tires together like a traditional locker? then answer to your question is... NO.​
As stated in the quote they do not have lockers IN THE AXLE'S pumpkin. If your question is
does this one locker make the Power Divider* lock together both WHOLE axles in the rear pair ....... then answer to your question is... YES.

*keep in mind the Power Divider.... is just as it sounds... a "separate box" that divides power between the pair of WHOLE axles at rear of a 6x6. Think of it as a separate differential/pumpkin that sits between the tranny and first axle in the rear pair of a 6x6... (cause it is). It's job is to divide power between the two whole pair of rear axles. If one WHOLE axle is rotating/slipping more than the other it sends the power to the WHOLE axle which is most rotating/slipping. It has nothing to do with left and right tires. Power to the left and right tires is differentiated only by each axle's own pumpkin and in stock form, there is no locker inside them on these trucks

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The all wheel drive transfer case (married to the transmission) allows the front and rear output driveshafts to turn at slightly different speeds to allow for turning and terrain variations. Or you will eat up tires. In mode the transfer case locks the two outputs so front and rear driveshafts are forced to turn at the same speed. On a 6x6 mode also locks the output of the 2nd axle to the 3rd axle. You still have open diffs in the axles unless you install one of the above mentioned detroit lockers.

snowtrac nome

im not familiar with the mtv power divider, but they usually work like the transfer case, where they distribute power to the rear tandems equally until one wheel looses traction. the lock works like the transfer case locking the 2 axles together for max traction. for the 6x6 or a front axle a selectable locker for the differential would be more desirable I may add a locker to the rear of mine but ii kind of want to hold out for a selectable model.

lucicale

Hi
How did you work on the computer to increase hp?
Do you have yhe standard engine in your truck or swapped with cummins or duramax?
Slso can you send pics of the gss cobra seats installed?
Thanks

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
On the drive from TX to DC I had WAY too much time to think... This is never good. The result is that when I get home I am going to put the truck on frame stands and pull the axles and rear suspension. ****will have my tires, wheels and axles for sale soon*****

going to to put a set of AxleTech 4000 axles and rear air ride under it.
1. Air disc brakes - will stop MUCH better
2. Front and rear locking diffs - real 4 wheel drive
3. 42 degree steering knuckles - will turn sharper (even though it currently turns sharper than my f350!)
4. Similar ratio to the "fast" gears we are using so will still run 70mph
5. 445/65R22.5 XZLs like soni's on Alcoa 22.5x14 deep dish wheels - same diameter as stock 395/85R20 tires but 3" wider (15" vs 18")
6. Rear air ride suspension - can you say Cadillac?!?!

Gonna be fun.... Stay tuned

justin wehring
979 997 3112
Never saw anymore on this post...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks