• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wehring LMTV Mods

Hermannator

Wow Justin, I just finished reading the thread and the work you have done on the truck is incredible. I haven't picked mine up yet and I wrote down some of the mods realizing I will never get my wife in the truck without a few creature comforts.

I will be at MSR Houston on the weekend of September 25th for a NASA Race event. If you are in country, I would really like to see your truck. This spur of the moment decision to buy a Military surplus vehicle has not been well received. I have shown her a few of the pictures LMTV772 has posted with dinner at the beach but she's not buying it yet.

John
210-380-5236

wehring

On the drive from TX to DC I had WAY too much time to think... This is never good. The result is that when I get home I am going to put the truck on frame stands and pull the axles and rear suspension. ****will have my tires, wheels and axles for sale soon*****

going to to put a set of AxleTech 4000 axles and rear air ride under it.
1. Air disc brakes - will stop MUCH better
2. Front and rear locking diffs - real 4 wheel drive
3. 42 degree steering knuckles - will turn sharper (even though it currently turns sharper than my f350!)
4. Similar ratio to the "fast" gears we are using so will still run 70mph
5. 445/65R22.5 XZLs like soni's on Alcoa 22.5x14 deep dish wheels - same diameter as stock 395/85R20 tires but 3" wider (15" vs 18")
6. Rear air ride suspension - can you say Cadillac?!?!

Gonna be fun.... Stay tuned

justin wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

Last edited:

Augdog1964

Justin,

I've watched with great interest your LMTV thread... I've recently picked up a beautiful LMTV with the 3116 in it. I was wondering if you knew if the C7 was a direct drop in replacement, and if so, will the drivetrain be able to sustain the extra HP?

I'm looking for better mileage, and better interstate manners... I am moving some of my armor and ammo to Knoxville TN and want to use the truck on a 5 hour + drive to do so... (well not move armor of course... but that is why the ammo is going)

Thanks! If you have any additional advice, or course of action to recommend, I'd be very appreciative.

Dave Bane
E. Indiana Armor Collection

PS Tried to PM you but your box was full...

scottmandu

Justin,
I was wondering if you knew if the C7 was a direct drop in replacement, and if so, will the drivetrain be able to sustain the extra HP?
the existing 3116 can be hopped up, first step is the 295 hp found in the 5 tons, which is a turbo change, and then you can go to 350+ with marine injectors and a larger turbo.

Terrh

How's the axletech swap coming?

I had never heard of these axles before, they look interesting! Wish they were a bit lighter, but they should be plenty strong and the correct bolt pattern/width right out of the box from the looks of it!

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My hero!! I've been scouring part numbers to see if I could cobble up a eaton to work. Your about to get bombarded with request for information I'm sure.

coachgeo

Will be interesting to find out if this will fit inside the Intermediate 6x6 axle too. In a few years the next big wave to hit will be the M1078's / A1P2's? and far as I can tell they will all have the Intermediate axle like 6x6's so it would behove Eaton Corp to prepare for that.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Doubtful. Or if they do they will either have the cabs removed or a demil code of mutilate.
Ah my bad... A1P2 started 2008 and is armored. Hmm. wonder if the tail end of the A1R's (2004-2008 ) got the Int. axle or if that started with the A1P2's? Nother topic; future nother thread though. Don't want to hijack this one.

Last edited:

Overdrive

The Detroit TruTrac is a friggin' AWESOME limited slip. Geared, clutchless and if you practice you can have a wheel in the air and use the brake to move the wheel with traction. I have had several of them in old Chevy trucks and they work fantastic and don't have any of the bad manners of a Detriot Locker...

I talked with the exec at Eaton and his quote for the "no-spin" Detroit was a little insane from them directly and had to be purchased in lots... If someone found a source for TruTrac I will buy one!!!

OD

Lmtv772

Banned
Someone I know is supposed to get a bunch of Meritor lockers in at the end of the month, he said he'd sell them for $800/each.

Overdrive

If they actually fit our LMTV axles I will take a rear locker and I know another person that wants both so there are three sold for you right there ;)

Would like to know what they are but assuming they are the Detroit No-spin...

Next holy grail needs to be disk brake conversion... lets get that bucket-o-worms opened up ;)

OD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks