• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wehring LMTV Mods

wehring

Thank you. You are welcome to come play anytime.

I have had the privilege to build (and buy) some really fun tracked toys. I am headed out of the country next weekend to go secure my next venture. Stand by... Gonna be fun. Will be a track build that is to be a culmination of all of my ideas and experience wrapped up into one vehicle.

Justin

wehring

Also, the 370hp / 931tq computer was installed today. I am in AZ so I only have phone reports but it sounds like it is a beast. Will know more tomorrow when I get home.
This is a Cat program for a version of MRAP so it is still "in spec".... More to come

justin

wehring

Just got home from Yuma tonight and drove the new program. All I can say is WOW! It pulls hard from a dead stop up to 75 mph with very little pedal lag.

I had a prototype BMY M923 with FMTV running gear that I have measured all of my trucks by. It would flat pull away from traffic from a stop light. This is the first time I have stepped out of another mil truck and thought "yep, runs like that one".

Only went for a short run tonight. Have no data to offer other than seat-of-pants measurements.... Strong, strong, strong running truck.

justin

tburk49760

Awesome mods sir! I am looking at a 1995 M1079. As near as I can tell, it has a mechanical pump? I really want to up the power... Any thoughts on longevity of the motor with the added power?

wehring

Still a Cat factory program so I expect a long life. Been running a hot program on my F350 for 150,000 miles with no issues. I believe that power upgrades incorrectly get a bad rep. Just watch your Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT), change your oil and don't drive it like a kid with his first car. Got to remember that factory tunes are for all drivers and all conditions. There is a big power margin you can move into safely if you drive it with some common sense.

Justin

Terrh

my old F250 with the 7.3 I ran around in "extreme" everywhere and after I put a good trans in it I never had a problem. Almost 400,000 miles on it now. Not sure it will ever wear out. My brother has it now and it still runs like it did when it was new.

I may have to take you up on that offer and come for a visit Justin!

dangood

Wonderful info. Thanks for the breakdown and the pics! You have helped solve a few problems we were encountering with wheel balancing. Does the equal beads really work? We are doing another LMTV conversion, this time with a SAR camper box custom made for a expedition offroad Motorhome style rig (or 4x4 RV if you will) and have worked for a few months on reconfiguring the rat nest of airlines, hydraulic connections, brackets, electronics etc so we can do the dumbest but coolest thing. Passthru from box to cab. (Stupid I know. But where there is a will...) prepping the chassis for the box with a dog house bulge around transmission, transfer case and the spaghetti of different connection has been a challenge, but we are almost there. It required making a completely new air intake, and removing the spare tire system with hydraulic lines etc getting capped. The electronic system running from alternator to the various connections and invertors and eventually the batteries was all rerouted and changed. What all this has done is hopefully given us a entry point from the box into the cab with a valid entry passage not requiring hedge hog DNA to be happy with. 4 season SAR box being fabricated and will post pics and updates soon. Good to hear about equal tire balancing, as it would be nice to not do all this work modifying this truck and still have it bounce around pretty bad. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

wehring

A pass through would be nice!! Good work Dan

Now that the 370hp program is installed and running strong I need to monitor the engine. Just ordered a Watch Dog from bullydog. Will then know RPM, oil temp, boost, coolant temp, EGT, etc.

more to come

justin

wehring

RPM, BOOST, MPG, % throttle, MPH

OK folks. I hooked the computer up to the C7 and here is the recorded info. I was disappointed that it does not report EGT or oil temp on the C7.

MPH - RPM - MPG - throttle % - BOOST

40 - 1400 - 8.5 - NR -3
55 - 1980 - 6.5 - 60 - 10
60 - 2175 - 6.5 - 67 - 13
65 - 2340 - 5.5 - 75 - 17
70 - 2550 - 5.0 - 83 - 22
75 - 2680 - 4.7 - 100 - 25

Fan came on at 205 deg. Cut off at 195 deg

Hope this helps. THIS DATA IS FROM MY MODIFIED TRUCK. IT DOES NOT APPLY TO STOCK TRUCKS

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very interesting. So the LMTV needs 370 hp to go 75 mph it would appear? So 225 hp trucks must run out of steam around 65 or so when running the high speed axle ratio.

wehring

It would run 75 mph with the factory tune of 275hp. Got the fast gears installed before any power upgrades and drove home from LA. Would run 75mph on I10 but I drove at 65 most of the way back.

The best way I can describe it is that is gets to 75mph much easier now. With the 275hp program it would take a long straight run to get it to 75 and with the 370hp program it pulls hard up to 75 quickly.

Justin

Last edited:

wehring

Found the "perfect" seats for my LMTV. Somewhere is a post I talked about an 8 hour road trip in a friends Freightliner M2. I got out and felt GREAT. Butt/legs were not asleep and was not sore at all. It was definitely due to the seats. A good friend turned me onto some seats that are heated, cooled, reclining, armrests, adjustable lumbar, air-ride, two-tone black and tan, massager, very low profile, 12v or 24v, leather or fabric! The black/tan will look great in the LMTV.

Will get some in and post a report here soon.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

Air ride seat, plastic fenders, window screens, rotating front windows, full floor insulation, rear window

also a really smart fix for torn door seal

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks