• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird ticking near oil pan/bell housing m1008/1028

mr.travo

CROM-

I put the blue locktite on my TC bolts and still have a slight tick. I have noticed that it goes away after being driven around for 15 or so miles. I think it might be a small exhaust leak??? Still stumps me and others can't hear it. All my other buddys say, "Sounds like a diesel to me." I guess that's how in tune I am to my trucks.

As for the "turbo" noise.... I had the same problem and all I did was drop the pan, change the filter, and refill with Dex/Merc to spec. The problem went away and never returned. I would do that as quick as possiable. You don't want to burn up the tranny because of a bad or clogged filter. I think I paid $15 or a new filter at Autozone. The Dex/Merc is about average priced. Just remember that it's cheaper than spending $800 - $1100 for a rebuild.

CROM

Just dropped the pan and changed the filter tonight, actually. I'll drive it to work tomorrow and see if the noises stop. My ticking noise was pretty obvious, though. Hopefully a filter/fluid change fixes it. I'll post tomorrow.

mr.travo

LOL! I guess that was pretty good timing. What transmission fluid did you use? I know that on page one I was sure it wasn't an exhaust leak, but at this point, I am willing to try anything first. I just hope it's not a rod getting ready to drive me nuts.

My 1009 is on jackstands right now draining the rear diff and I'm trying to replace the axle seals. Tomorrow is another day and I hope to work on it some more and get that **** ticking to stop.

Post up here and let me know what you find. I will try and record mine running and see if the cam can pick up the noise. If so I will post it up on You Tube and post up the link. I think we might be stumped on the same problem.

Travo

CROM

After a filter/fluid change, both noises have gone away. It's only been two days, though. The truck shifts better now, as well. The magnet in the pan was covered in slime (slimey metal bits) and no siginificant chunks were found. Truck is running great after the change. I think I'll do this every 20k or so, as it only costs about $40 for the filter and 6ish quarts of dexron.