• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welding with 24 volts?

Chief_919

They also make welding rigs that run off 24v. Chief_919 ( Old Grouch Surplus ) talked about them when he was interviewed on The Survival Podcast. They are a bit spendy though!
Yep.

If you want to weld with 24v the right way.

Readywelder.com | There's nothing like it!

They make the military pack with a slave cable plug, but you can buy the regular version and add your own slave cable plug for less.

We welded a lot of stuff in Afghanistan with them. Plug in, put your helmet on, and weld.

I find myself grabbing my Ready Welder more often than I fire up the big Lincoln.

DrJekl

I picked up one recently for $150 but have not used it. I figured the price was good so I must need it! This one is a Mig welder and you can run gas on it.

Kaiserjeeps

I welded a broken CJ-5 jeep frame on the rubicon a few years back. We had only three rigs that year. We removed all the batteries (3) and hooked them up with vise grips and metal files. I went around the lake and asked several camps to borrow some sun glasses. I tye wrapped 7 pair in a funny looking mess and put it on. With a pair of jumper cables I welded up the frame after we forced it back together. Three batteries vaporizes the welding rod and did not make good penetration. While the frame held through the rest of the rubicon and for a while after getting home. 2 batteries is the ticket.
My CJ has an underhood welder which is the cats meow. I welded up the floor anchors in the shop building thread continous with it. But in a pinch you can weld with car batteries. It does work well. I wish I could find the pictures. It was before digital cameras..:D

hoop

For storing a small amount of welding rod consider this. 1 1/2" sch 40 PVC. Glue cap on one side and a female adapter on the other. Seems basic but then you add this. Hayward SP1022C Drain Plug with O-Ring | Westwood Pool Company
Makes for a small, easy to tote dry tube and with the o-ring its easy to work with.
I use Jim Caps....No Hub Couplings , End Caps , Mission Couplings , No Hub Couplings - PexSupply.com
Lowe's of Home Depot are a lot easer to find than pool supply's here.

spicergear

I believe they refer to it as 'full phasing' an alternator when you turn it up to produce full power. A friend's dad takes Briggs & Stratton engines and hooks them to truck alternators and full phases them for portable welders. They seem to do a decent job.

Read a good article: Dual Battery Installation and have seen this a few other places. Apparently, you can weld with car batteries. From what I've read so far, 3 batteries in series works best, but 2 in series (Hmm...where have we seen this?) will work in a pinch. I've even gone as far as debating whether or not to throw a package or two of welding rods in the glove box as part of my "Oh s***, the truck's broke and Murphy's an a**hole" stuff. Obviously, I would not do this on a regular basis, just in emergencies. Has anybody ever tried this? If so, how well did it work?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3vs7WCtRWE

wb1895

I have used my deuce, jumper cables and some welding rod to weld a few small things around the house. The bead is not very hot but it does the job