• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

well i was looking for a hmmwv....

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
your sound system would be almost useless. HMMWVs are loud. The turtle shells are very hot too. its like riding around in H E double hockey sticks.

The truck looks ok. The front bumper is kinda strange and it looks like he is running radial swamper tires on the bias wheels. Best not to do that.

eisenhe

Good point from SETOYOTA -- and given that you won't have lockable doors, glove box, or any other such niceties, you're probably best off carrying your boom box for a sound system.
Ideally go for an aircraft intercom system that you can plug an Ipod into -- noise cancellation plus sound injection -- but you might not be able to drive legally on-road with any sort of headphones or sound suppression on for safety reasons. Can't hear the other cars' horns very well!
Expect that there won't be much that will be comparable to driving a "normal" vehicle...

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get a civi hummer for less no doubt. Its kinda like a CJ2A compared to a Willys MB or Ford GPW. The military jeep is now worth almost twice as much as a CJ in like condition. I expect military HMMWVs with good paper work will be much the same way in the future compared to H1s. Thats my opinion anyhow.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh I would advise against using an HMMWV as a daily driver. The are slow, loud and hot. I love mine and its fun to drive but does not make a good commuter.

XanRa

You Make quite a few valid points but there things you forget like this isn't the stock engine, I am complety aware of the lack of locks, but the .... Would I have with? Also yes I am quite aware of the noise, you ever heard of predator motorsprts? They have sound canceling kits, not terribly effective and I would need alot but the point of buying this is it to be basicly a money pit, and I havnt found any decent civilian hummers that are a slant back or open to convert to slant back for any reasonable prices, more things, this is a turbo 6.5 it is more capable than the 6.2 and I also enjoy diesel modding so it's not a matter of being slow or under powered, and just a fun thought: I don't know many people that would be willing to get even reasonably close enogh to a hmmwv in a parking lot locked or not, I would say it would take alot of balls to break into a hmmwv lmao
sorry for any spelling/ grammer issues I had to do this on my phone

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i don't think thats a turbo. Looks like NA 6.5. To gain road speed you would need to upgrade the tranny to a 4 speed. On the locks. Yes a HMMWV attracks everbody. I have found people sitting in it at the Lowes parking lot. Good luck with the purchase. it will probably last to August. The truck has been on ebay for some time.

XanRa

true but there always once again, what the hec would you need to put in there anyways? the engine well that will be subject to change hard to say

XanRa

i just found one 20,000,

6.2 DIESEL RUNS AND DRIVES FINE
39.5" TIRES
NEW SHOCKS
SOME EXTRA PARTS TO GO WITH THE SALE

vin is 027545
!ByZ5uWQBGk~$(KGrHqEOKjEEwWHmqyFmBMRj4uy1yw~~_12.jpg

!ByZ5vjgEWk~$(KGrHqMOKiMEwQj3pf92BMRj4zmrGg~~_12.jpg

!ByZ5w8QEGk~$(KGrHqYOKjwEwrt33uqmBMRj44nHcg~~_12.jpg

!ByZ5yWgCGk~$(KGrHqYOKj4Ewk7!0q3hBMRj49t)1Q~~_12.jpg
what do you guys think? i would have to do a hard top slant back conversion but no hassle(solid doors too) i would proubly end up putting a better engine in it too(or seiously over hauling this one)

BLK HMMWV

Your going to be looking at adding at least another $5,000 -$ 7,000 for slant back and doors depending on doors maybe more.

There is noting wrong with the 6.2 in my opinion.
The 6.5 na isn't that much better
The 6.5 turbo requires more work and money
You can spend a bunch on your motor but they still aren't designed for going fast. You still have to get all that power to the ground , and many of those parts will be against you.

Sounds like what you really want is a civi truck in military attire. If your going to drive it every day you will enjoy the A/C and quieter ride . Other wise plan to leave early , slow down enjoy the ride and keep the truck alive.

The one pictured has a a modified intake and looks to be missing the right hood latch.
Make sure you check the frame rails . And check the transfer case for the vampire problem.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that truck looks good. It has one piece civi wheels and a homemade snorkel.

When looking at a HMMWV be sure to check out the frame rails. Many are badly rusted to the point that they shlould be replaced. Many will also have leaking hubs and worn halfshafts that need to be replaced but that is not a big deal. Its also a good idea to see what type of PCB box or brain is in the truck. Some are much better than others and can be pricey if you need a new one.

Make sure there is paperwork with it. A title is best. My current HMMWV came out of Ohio so I don't think you would have any problems getting it registered there but keep in mind AM General does not want these things on the road. They have went as far as sending a letter to state DMVs stating the trucks should not be registered for the road.

If you are planning on buying a complete military slant back you will need to budget about $6000 to$7000 for the kit. You may get lucky and find one for less but they are some what hard to come by. The tops seem to always pop up on the West Coast. To install the hardtop properly you also have to locate a windshield frame that is made for the hard top.

The slant back tops leak badly and I can't tell you how hot it can get insde one. We use to open our cargo door backwards to make an airscoop to bring a little cooler air in the cabin. Maybe in OH it would not be as bad

You might want to consider an Amtech top too. I'm sure you will find a truck that suits your needs.

XanRa

well like i said im looking for a project realy a money pit, the heat isnt realy a huge deal, sure it gets warm in the summer here but our winters are getting colder and longer each year, and whin im done here i plan on moving north and theres always ways around the heat, can someone tune me in on the vampire problem, and this sint going to spend as much time on the road as you think... only places it would be drivin on road is to work, to fuel up and of course the light travel im between its mainly going to be a toy, i enjoy exploring random trails or whatever i see and actuel pland trips(offroad) as well, not bymyself of course.
also my obsession with the slant back let me explain, in my opinion the look that fits the most and is most proportional(in my opinion) is the slant back the wagon is xtra space, the cut off and bed etc, dosnt look right so thats my opinion......
top: USED MILITARY HUMVEE SLANTBACK KIT: eBay Motors (item 110542461370 end time Aug-03-10 18:46:39 PDT)

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might be bettter off buying a one of the body on frame and building what you want.

Here is a good explanation of the vampire. ATF Vampire Basically a cooling loop cracks in the transfer case and then all your transmission fluid is sucked out without a drop on the ground. Your fry the tranny.

BLK HMMWV

money pit

Well now your talking.
HMMWV = High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehical

SETOYOTA is correct slant backs leak like a sive great for summers bad for winters.

The Vampire problem stems from a cracked tube in the transfer case.
The Cooling system for the transmission in the vehical circulates the fluids through the transmission as well as the transfer case.

The early cooling line in the transfer case would get a hairline crack .this would cause the trans fluid to be bled out of the system and over fill the transfer case to the point that it would even make it's way to the air cleaner by way of the breather .

You can check to see if the problem exists by un doing the inspection plug on your transfer case if the problem exists you will end up with trans fluid flowing out .

XanRa

Well now your talking.
HMMWV = High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehical

exactly but all very well worth it

and thats a problem i will surly have to watch for...

"You might be bettter off buying a one of the body on frame and building what you want"
i have considered this greatly, but theres a few problems with that, they seem to cost way more than the should too, seeing that most are around 12000 the problem is with that much the money i put into i could just buy one that works for the same cost and go from there, theres always little flaws, the most annoying thing is that rolling chasis have no lights and they dont seem all that easy to find....

also: that isnt a homemade snorkel its a aftermarket one

Last edited: