• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Went to the Overland Expo today !

1951M1078

Had a great time and I found what I want to build ! The Wife had a chance to look it over. And I think I have a chance ?

6f0fe7aa-7749-4a58-835a-917a60819015_zpsgw9mp9xk.jpg

That's a pretty sweet truck! That's basically what we are planning to build, but ours will probably be a little smaller. We haven't decided if we will leave the spare tire behind the cab, or relocate it and move the camper volume forward on the right side like that one. Did it still have the air cleaned assembly on the left side?

Any other photos of expedition trucks from the Expo?

Michael

1951M1078

That's a pretty sweet truck! That's basically what we are planning to build, but ours will probably be a little smaller. We haven't decided if we will leave the spare tire behind the cab, or relocate it and move the camper volume forward on the right side like that one. Did it still have the air cleaned assembly on the left side?

Any other photos of expedition trucks from the Expo?

Michael

Michael,do you think the filter could be dropped down where the tank for the winch would be ? This is just behind the driver side front tire ? Then work the snorkel up behind the cab ?

Randy

scottreb

I've seen several pictures of that truck. On GXV website and Expo. They have relocated the air box . Anyone here done the same or know how it was done?

coachgeo

I've seen several pictures of that truck. On GXV website and Expo. They have relocated the air box . Anyone here done the same or know how it was done?
Not sure how they did it but it's ea$y. Donaldson's Air cleaners has everything you need. Donaldson made the unit on the trucks now.

For temporary... Just put a giant air filter under the cab. Once I get mine home I'll take pics how Previous Owner did it TEMPORARILY when making room for the ROP. It's just a large clamp on K&N type filter next to the engine. In long term obviously, it's NOT a good location . Not sure how yet but want to get mine back up high with a snorkel again.

UPDATE!!!!! found install instructions for the unit used on the FMTV ... least is sure seems to be same model. IMHO with below now you can move your filter, change your snorkel etc. to whatever location you like with confidence that you're still in spec.
See post http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...Expo-today-!&p=1883444&viewfull=1#post1883444

Last edited:

scottreb

Not being able to put the camper box closer to the cab is always a sticking point for camper builder with the FMTV trucks. I know the BAE commercials have a different set up.

Lmtv772

Banned
I wouldn't relocate the air filter. It's always a compromise to the worst . Just look at the condition the POS of a recently new owner is in.

I would love to have our camper as far forward as possible and make use of that air cleaner volume, but personalty I'm not a fan of moving the air cleaner. I think it's a good cleaner assembly, so we are planning to leave it where it is.

Donaldson Inertial Particle Separation Technology:
http://india.donaldson.com/en/aircraft/support/datalibrary/066268.pdf

I wouldn't mind making the whole thing a little smaller/shorter. I was thinking we could drop the height of the snorkel a bit by cutting out some of the vertical tube. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I think the inertial particle separator tubes start lower down in the larger diameter section, so I don't think it would effect performance. That way we could build some of the camper over the air filter. I know the height helps minimize dust intake a bit, but I surly don't need it for water depth.

Relocating the tire and using that volume is tempting, too, but that's a whole other topic...

Michael

Air inlet.jpg

Lmtv772

Banned
Underneath the air intake are several round turbine looking openings , I wouldn't be surprised if the length and shape of the intake is specifically designed. Kind of like the hose that goes from the exhaust pipe to the intake to work as a large particle filter

Underneath the air intake are several round turbine looking openings , I wouldn't be surprised if the length and shape of the intake is specifically designed. Kind of like the hose that goes from the exhaust pipe to the intake to work as a large particle filter
I'll have to pull it apart and take a look. They probably did some kind of flow conditioning prior to the air entering the vortex tube bank. I think the vortex tube bank can take ambient air directly without any flow conditioning (like the inertial particle separators on helicopter and aircraft systems), but the right angle top on the snorkel might mess up the airflow to the point that it requires additional gizmos like you said.

Michael

coachgeo

I wouldn't relocate the air filter. It's always a compromise to the worst .....
Why look at that..... see we can agree on something; at least if your going to actually go off road. For military purposes.... its right on the money. Otherwise if you're just a cool looking military rig based RV whose only offroading is occasional US forrest service road camp sites....... the military air cleaner setup is overkill. High snorkel is always advised if getting into Dusty climates though

....Just look at the condition the POS of a recently new owner is in.
Good point... most assuredly this is the whole reason the tranny/Tcase and Drive shaft separated was the modified air cleaner. lol :not worthy:

So most assuredly; soley based on your advice:doh:, eventually the OEM air cleaner setup will be restored though little deeper back on otherside of the ROP as will the spare tire system. Tada... 80%? increase in safety and she'll breathe well too since it will be used offroad. Thusly, the bed will either be shortened or fudged back enough with appropriate bracing at first. Later it will become a modular rear chassis.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think about tubular header designs and how they tweak length and curves to optimize airflow. Or aftermarket high performance cold air intakes.

I suspect much the same was done in the design of the OEM intake setup on the lmtv. I'd be hesitant to tamper with it without good reason.

Putting it down low is in invitation for badness. Even if you don't take it offroad, think about one good splash getting in there, wetting your filter media which then shreds, resulting in dust inhalation... and the cat motors aren't cheap...

Lmtv772

Banned
Not even gonna dignify the noise with a reply!

98G you hit the nail on the head. Apart from what you mentioned. the intake is not mounted as high only to keep the water out, but higher above the ground, as the air is exponentially less polluted with dust particles.

Last edited:

coachgeo

..... Apart from what you mentioned. the intake is not mounted as high only to keep the water out, but higher above the ground, as the air is exponentially less polluted with dust particles.
Bingo. For this reason, thousands of off road rigs have done high snorkels wth various air cleaner setups this way for decades. As 98G says for nasty environments the FMTV set up is amazingly well designed like those of Mercedes, Styer, Man, and others. Expedition Rigs, Rally Trucks etc. based on any of these and others incorporate similar designs as well. Granted they got Ton more money than we do to design and test. In mind of their resource$ compared to most of ours; keeping the air cleaner closer to OEM as one can is wise if your going to use her for way more than a parade queen and run about.

Now if anyone can get the info from Global Expedition; who did that FMTV based rig, on how they routed theirs and what air cleaner setup they used it would make an interesting thread. Most likely it too is well up to par for Expeditions in Environments it's intended for. Odd's are they are no dummies designing / fabricating their rigs either.

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the LMTV have an air cleaner flow/restriction gauge in the cab like other MV's? I can't say I recall seeing one in photos. Either way it would be good to hook one up temporarily and test the shorter intake stack while under load. It's always good to test before a build takes a specific direction.

I have to say though, my experience and gut feeling both point towards not messing with the stock setup. I'm sure there are other creative ways to get more space in the RV than eating up the spare tire and air intake space.

What about a pop up arrangement or a slide out the rear. Even if the rear section was only a covered "porch", it would add footage to the floor plan.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I don't see why the airbox can't come straight down and the tubes can be adjusted for this new location. A slim rectangular intake going to the box can be adapted if more space is needed.