• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Went to the Overland Expo today !

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I like the factory gearing. I would rather have the heavy pulling ability that an extra 10-15mph. It's not meant to go fast especially after dropping a big box on the back. In stock form a 4x4 can pull 40k on a sled on dirt. The 6x6 even more.

I like the factory gearing. I would rather have the heavy pulling ability that an extra 10-15mph. It's not meant to go fast especially after dropping a big box on the back. In stock form a 4x4 can pull 40k on a sled on dirt. The 6x6 even more.
I agree with you Suprman. It's a pretty good setup from the beginning. I think the gearing is even fine. The air-box is a minor issue. I think it's fine where it is, but I also think it's likely acceptable to move it if one wants.

I test drove a Steyr and looked at Mogs and FUSO. It's hard to beat the price of a LMTV.

Michael

Last edited:

scottreb

Most all of the Euro truck with camper boxes use the pass through. Some type of bellows/compression to seal it up and able to tilt. GXV has done more than a few boxes on Unimogs, MB 1017 and several others. They had several of the BAE LMTV too. I like the LMTV for the simplicity and cost alone.

Leaving the airbox and the tire carrier alone is the easiest way to go for sure.

coachgeo

Managed to finally get some communication with Donaldson about the FMTV air cleaners. Questions about Ratio's such as was there a ratio between how long the scavenge line can be (or not be) according to where on the exhaust tube it is mounted, and/or is the length of snorkel related etc.? Their reply was

Thanks for your interest in Donaldson air filters and reaching out to us for assistance. Unfortunately
we cannot provide engineering advice on scavenge lines or modifying air intakes unless we have initiated a formal development program with a customer. If this is something you are interested in pursuing please send a set of technical requirements as well as a Request for Proposal document and we will review. Otherwise I recommend reviewing our online air filtration catalog which has considerable information and a number of air cleaner options.

Thru out the brochure there is good info. Especially the STB model pg 160.
View attachment Air-Intake-Systems-Product-Guide.pdf
There is some youtube videos even that shed light on Donaldson units as well.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Install instructions

upon deeper reading of above post's PDF discovered that these trucks we have is most assuredly the STB model air cleaner system. Found the install instructions !! Now you can go about shifting things around and with confidence that the filter is doing its job. If you want EXACT installation at bottom of PDF in above post there is a form you can fill out and present to Donaldson who will then give you more exacting info.

View attachment 065958.pdf

Last edited:
This is a screenshot from an Army PMCS video. On the topic of minimizing intake stack height again, does anyone out there have this style of mushroom inlet on their FMTV? I'd like to see some detail photos.

mushroom inlet.jpg

Michael

Last edited:

coachgeo

This is a screenshot from an Army PMCS video. On the topic of minimizing intake stack height again, does anyone out there have this style of mushroom inlet on their FMTV? I'd like to see some detail photos.
... image...Michael
in post # 46 the PDF has that rain cap and part number for it along with a few others. There are pretty clear pics. Also on the last few pages of the PDF you can write up what your configuration is and send it to them for their recommendations on best parts to use for your setup.

Are you thinking of raising your whole cleaner up?

Another Ahab

Great vid, coachgeo! [thumbzup]

The vid mentions that all over head utilities in Utah are at minimum 14 feet above pavement.

I never heard that (or thought about that) before. Does anybody know if that is that a national standard?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, George. That's an absolutely horrible place for an air intake, but a wall might help a little. With 'engineering' like that, what other build decisions would be suspect?

another interesting redo of the FMTV line air cleaner using mostly stock parts. Is it sealed well enough for water crossings mounted that low? Would hope they intend to add a fender wall between tire and Air Cleaner

View attachment 633683

coachgeo

Pretty sure it is a bad spot.... how bad???? some you guys may have more insight on that than I. Am not going to assume their engineers are stupid and/or didn't work with the manufacturer in choosing that spot etc. Example; don't know how water tight the unit is. As they sat it you'd have to venture into water above the wheel for it to get into the snorkle IFFF it was totaly water tight up to that point. Might could go deeper with a wake..... but if you stopped... would think your shiat out of luck. Maybe it is unfinished / temporary unit till they have their final product that is going to sit in that spot? Will have to watch as it progresses.

Course then there is debris thrown at it from the wheel and mud tossing and..... That's a whole nother issue all together.

Overdrive

I agree, George. That's an absolutely horrible place for an air intake, but a wall might help a little. With 'engineering' like that, what other build decisions would be suspect?
LOL, I took the EXACT same pic of that relocated air filter housing at the expo and thought the same thing... TERRABLE place for that! I took a ton of pics of the trucks that were there. Some great ideas and some not so much. They also put the hydro panel down by the passenger side front wheel just like this air cleaner... Both companies that brought modified LMTVs had removed the spare tire assembly to gain more custom box space behind the cab. To each his own but I wouldn't want to get rid of my stock spare setup. Two cool ideas were the welded/modified front factory bumper for a winch and I noticed a steering stabilizer on one of the trucks front axle. ... just noticed they didn't put a shield to protect the fuel tank.

EXPO001.jpg EXPO002.jpg

On the subject of the post and the EXPO, I am planning on attending again next year in May... Maybe a FMTV SS crew meet & greet?

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
another interesting redo of the FMTV line air cleaner using mostly stock parts. Is it sealed well enough for water crossings mounted that low? Would hope they intend to add a fender wall between tire and Air Cleaner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFsDFpsb1ck
Forget water crossings (which, obviously would be a problem), but even with a fender wall, what a quick way to fill the air filter with DIRT kicked up from the front tire!

Seeing such major and obvious problems like that makes me not even interested in any of a person/company's work. If they screwed that up, then what else that I can't see?!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks