• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

We're Baaaaaack!

treeguy

Like everyone else, on Memorial day I wanted to see what was new, only to discover the site had vanished! Similar to a few months back with the "Coward" emails, I thought for sure that given the holiday, the people with a grudge had really struck again. I checked my email for any odd messages, I didn't find any but got to wondering; if last time they did a mass email from our data base, what other personal info could they obtain by getting into the nuts and bolts here? For the administration; what could they get and how protected are we personally? I would like to gratefully thank all involved for getting things back to normal, and A GREAT BIG SHOUT OUT TO ALL OUR PAST AND PRESENT VETERANS, THANK YOU!!!

On a different note, I also agree with Blue Deuce, if the world really does FUBAR wouldn't it be handy to have an official SS ham radio freq. that we could tune to? Just an idea.

Thanks guys, and gals![thumbzup]

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used to be involved in network security. There are ways to take a fan out of service through software. The e-mssg only went to the address i use here, none of the others. Someone may want to take a look at the servers bios, maybe re-flashing it to a known good version.
I could see bios cutting a fan off. But not causing a physical failure.

BTW, several other forums have reported that email. All report it being sent from that forum.

I'm double checking with our service provider about the hardware though if it will calm some nerves.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here it is...

Yes - the CPU #2's fan failed, and the server shutdown. The BIOS of the
server reported zero RPMs and I confirmed visually as when I turned it on,
that the fan was not spinning.

Because of the unexpected shutdown, stuff had to be rebuilt.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What happened was that Chinese are tired of us complaining about their cheap a$$ products.

They recruited a bunch of pimple faced kids to write a specific piece of malware that actually infected the SS server weeks ago that has slowly varied the speed of the fan causing a premature failure all while reporting to the monitoring that everything was fine.

You know, sort of like high-speed centrifuges processing uranium.

You know...... ;-)

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, it was a solar flare that erupted and fried the noffer trunion in the server.

That issue was quickly resolved but the newly installed noffer trunion unit was rejected by the web's phase detractor and therefore the web page would not load.

The staff was able to use a combination of geek tactics, voodoo, and magic spells to get the systems sychronized and back on track.

Sorta like house cleaning.
You forgot about the Flux Capacitor!!

dmetalmiki

Phew welcome back "the site" That was seriously a nail biting time, (and I don't bit mine!) Glad to see "everyone" again. So heeeellllooo EVERYONE , glad to see you, to see you "NICE"! (..as.....? says)?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
FYI,

There seems to be a problem with the Google Maps and the new system.
That has been broken for a while now. Well not broken, but rather priced out of our arena. Google wants $10,000 a year for the API to run it. I haven't worked on it because I plan on doing something different with the vB upgrade to come.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/85512-member-map.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ss-mai...suggestions/82428-member-map-not-working.html

forest522

I just want to say THANKS for the hard work getting the site back up and running. Read through this thread and looks like quite an ordeal and headache. I may speak for many when I say we all appreciate it! The quitting cold turkey thing was harsh!