• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Westfolk's Steel Oil Spin On Adapters

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the spin on kit fron Westfolk in the mail today and the 1st thing you notice is the box is pretty heavy. I skimmed through his installation video again and wrote down the socket sizes and torque spec he called for.

Grabbed the boy, donned coveralls and took everything to the truck. I've heard a lot of horror stories about how messy the stock flitlers were to take off so we tarped the underside of the truck. Zero drippage from the filters - no mess at all.

Total time to get box open, skim the video, gather tools and get ready - 17 minutes.

Total installation time including taking pics and teaching the boy what a torque wrench was and how to use it - 11 minutes.

Total time to build pressure now - ZERO seconds......................

Attached are some pics. I can't add anything to his directions in the video - he's covered it all. I went with the quart sized anti drainbacks, but there are tons of filters out there to choose from. I'll post more after I try different ones.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You gotta do something about those 10 ton mirrors, even the turtles and ducks noticed them.

jimm1009

If your engine sits for a day or two you will have 1 1/2 to 2 drops leak out. :grin:

No spillage when sitting overnight. This kit looks good on you.

Good luck, jimm1009

avengeusa

what does a set of those cost? I thought of just making some on the lathe, but with people on the board doing it, why not buy a set, I like the idea of steel

mightymanx

Can you do some that would be able to use a remote mount kit??

somthing like :

Perma-Cool Spin-On Oil Adapter - JEGS

My goal is to put remote mounts on the inner fenderwell so they are hanging upside doen from what they are currently so when I change the filters oil does not go everywhere.

I know that I could put that adapter style I linked ontop of your adapter but I am trying to eliminate the middleman so to speak.

I hope I did not hijack this thread. If I did I appologize.

1stDeuce

Ok, fellas with the kits, riddle me this: If I let my truck sit overnight before I change the canister oil filters, there is really no mess to it. Unfortunately, pressure does take a long time to build on cold starts. If I put on a spin-on filter kit, with anti-drainback valves, there will be almost instant oil pressure, but now no matter how long I wait, isn't changing upside-down filters that are full of oil going to be quite messy?? If I turn the filters from my truck upside down, they immediately dump oil all over, and I'm pretty sure they have an anti-drainback valve.

Just curious.
C

maxspeed250

Just punch a hole through the top of the filter cans and wait at least a few hours, most of the oil trapped in the filter will migrate back through the filter media and you won't have much of a spill to clean up. Warm up the engine (oil) first, and the longer you wait the better results you will have.

sandcobra164

Well, I got a set from the last auction. I'm glad I read his ad this time around as I'm new to this. I traded filters (1060's, they were still wrapped in plastic) and paid the difference for 1794's which apparently are not anti-drainback as spelled out in his current ad (Perhaps I didn't read the last ad very well). Luckily, I've not installed my 1794's and will trade them on on some 1831's!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps I'm old school but I feel like these trucks motor's probably need a good size oil filter to catch the contaminants from the blow by and I like to change oil every 3,000 miles or once a year. I prefer a larger oil filter and will pay the price to get it (1831's are about $20 each). Westfolk put together a great kit though, they will be on the truck on Saturday!!!!!!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So you guys know, when I got my kits, I called napa to check prices. The 1060 is a common filter and is 1/3 the price of the other filters. I figure I can swap out filters every few months and top off the oil cheaper than running just ONE of those other filters. Just food for thought.

Reactions: DUG
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks