• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Westfolk's Steel Oil Spin On Adapters

Yohan

So other than the price, is there any difference in this kit Vs. JATonka's oil filter kit? They appear the same???? Thanks for any input!

Kohburn

anybody know if the oil filters are run in parallel (higher flow) or series (higher filtration)?

I want to remote locate them and if they are done in parallel then one could be blocked off and only run two lines from the other to a twin relocation adaptor.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So other than the price, is there any difference in this kit Vs. JATonka's oil filter kit? They appear the same???? Thanks for any input!
Filter thread size is different. I don't have the numbers here in front of me, but you should be able to find it quickly. Westfolk was doing his out of steel for awhile and I hear he will take requests for steel - email him to double check. Westfolk puts out good stuff - everything went together as in his video and was very easy/quick. I selected the quart sized anti drainbacks and got some replacements on sale for under 4 dollars each. I can swap filter 4 times and top off the oil for less than one set of the big ole cans.

I've never installed JATonka's myself, but I have seen them and they look to be very good quality. I have friends running his adapters and they all love them.

I've said it before, but I do not think you can go wrong with either set.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
anybody know if the oil filters are run in parallel (higher flow) or series (higher filtration)?

I want to remote locate them and if they are done in parallel then one could be blocked off and only run two lines from the other to a twin relocation adaptor.
Parallel. I was thinking of doing 2 different size micron filters if they were series, but they are not.

Kohburn

parallel works for me, I preffer hanging filters. Time to warm up the milling machine and check mcmaster and summitracing for a few parts

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at the two options, and was researching the filters.
The ones jatonka has pictured in his ad NAPA 1458, are listed as having a bypass valve with a 13-19 psi rating ( anti drain back also)
With a 13-19 psi bypass valve setting, how much oil is getting filtered?

The NAPA 1060 anti drain back that Westfolk is offering has a flow rating of 9 to 11 gpm. is this enough flow?
I couln't find any info on the 1831 filter mentioned in the ebay listing.

hmmmm..........

jesusgatos

I've been wondering about replacing the oil filters with remote-mounted units too. I've been looking at the filter heads that companies like RACOR make, and it almost seems like it might be easier / cheaper to go that route. I'm planning on installing one of RACOR's Turbine series oil filters anyway (as a primary), and wouldn't mind just eliminating the stock oil filters altogether. Anybody done it?

Katahdin

I was looking at the two options, and was researching the filters.
The ones jatonka has pictured in his ad NAPA 1458, are listed as having a bypass valve with a 13-19 psi rating ( anti drain back also)

The NAPA 1060 anti drain back that Westfolk is offering has a flow rating of 9 to 11 gpm. is this enough flow?
I couln't find any info on the 1831 filter mentioned in the ebay listing.

hmmmm..........
Napa's website has all the specs.

1458 = 11-13 gpm
1060 = 9-11 gpm
1831 = 9-11 gpm

If the flow is not adequate you'd see a drop in oil pressure.

Kohburn

Napa's website has all the specs.

1458 = 11-13 gpm 16 micron
1060 = 9-11 gpm 19 micron
1831 = 9-11 gpm 10 micron

If the flow is not adequate you'd see a drop in oil pressure.
added the micron rating incase anybody else was wondering like myself

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, since the filters are parallel, you have double the single filter rating. 1060 is what I'm using so it only concerns me on that one. 22 isn't 26gpm(LDS motor), but its close. I might look for more options for my next oil change. If you are wondering where i got my numbers, I DID do some searching before I bought my filter setup. An informed purchase is a wise purchase! The info is here on our site.

Kohburn

Well, since the filters are parallel, you have double the single filter rating. 1060 is what I'm using so it only concerns me on that one. 22 isn't 26gpm(LDS motor), but its close. I might look for more options for my next oil change. If you are wondering where i got my numbers, I DID do some searching before I bought my filter setup. An informed purchase is a wise purchase! The info is here on our site.
with a filter relocation you could have as many in parallel as you wanted. go for a triple instead of a double so that you can use the 6$ filters instead of the 22$ filters.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remote filters are not new to the deuce. Anti drain back filters are a start in the right direction but not the end all. They can still drain forward. I have John's on one of my deuces and they are sweet to work with but the instant oil pressure just doesn't happen. I have intimate dealings with this OD Iron LLC Military Vehicle Parts and Accessories kit. Since the filter is not mounted upside down, it does have instant oil pressure and the beta rating of the filter is good. You would have no issues running this filter for 7500 miles. It's not cheap but it's **** good.

Kohburn

that is a 13-19psi pressure difference across the filter media, think of it as pressure drop from entering the filter to leaving. unless the filter is clogged there should be very little pressure drop when running so it would not activate the bypass.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks