• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What 5-ton series would be good for mudding?

74M35A2

My vote would also be for an M35A2 w/w. Add air lockers to all 3 axles, and stuff a turned up Cummins 5.9L in there, and it will climb straight up a mud wall and go 70mph for less than $10k total.

Watch some youtube videos of each truck, what gets them stuck, and what they can get out of. As reference, it did take 4' of mud to get my 5 ton stuck (M925A2). I would not own a 5 ton without a 20k hydraulic winch. My single use of it justified the additional cost. So much that I am now adding the same winch onto the rear also.

M939 series reverse ratio is 10:1. 1st gear is 4:1 or 6:1 if I remember correctly. You should never need low-reverse from a torque requirement perspective.

Last edited:

jdknech

every time you take it off road in water, you have a very expinsive and labor intensive maintenance procedure for getting everything cleaned up, pay close attention to the front wheel bearings, I wiped out 4 sets of front bearings playing in mud/water with my M932A1 they are a BEAST off road, but the cost of the maintence was just too much for me to keep playing in mud with it..

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had no issues with the 923 it went on some tight trails at rally. I take that back one issue I did knock a dog bone off but the hole I went through should have swallowed my truck.
Never found mud or water in anything.
I just hope my new A2 is just as good.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GA rally rally trails are like that to me in 5 ton.
And on a night trail looks like they just took off through the bushes which I did not do had cover on and if I can't see it, don't know what it might be ripping.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My vote would also be for an M35A2 w/w. Add air lockers to all 3 axles, and stuff a turned up Cummins 5.9L in there, and it will climb straight up a mud wall and go 70mph for less than $10k total.

Watch some youtube videos of each truck, what gets them stuck, and what they can get out of. As reference, it did take 4' of mud to get my 5 ton stuck (M925A2). I would not own a 5 ton without a 20k hydraulic winch. My single use of it justified the additional cost. So much that I am now adding the same winch onto the rear also.

M939 series reverse ratio is 10:1. 1st gear is 4:1 or 6:1 if I remember correctly. You should never need low-reverse from a torque requirement perspective.
Would love to see your project for putting a 20k hydraulic winch on the back, do you have a build thread on the site?

Andrmorr

My vote is:

932A2---which gets you started with:

lower purchase price of tractor
Shortest wheelbase- 167"
Dual fuel tanks
20k hyd winch up front
pass side toolbox up high
CTIS for tire press mgmt
no bed- mount short bed of choice

Then add:

16:00R20 XZL TIRES (53's)
HMTT RIMS (more offset)
Fording kit
45k drag winch on rear from M936 wrecker
ARB air lockers in 3 axles- (we've got a group buy in the works)

What mudhole could you not get out of when you have a 20k front & 45k rear drag winch with 280ft of cable on the spool...
You could probably make some pretty good money from being "The winch buggy" at Mudfests...dude's get stuck, you motor in and winch' em out in either direction...!

Last edited:

74M35A2

Would love to see your project for putting a 20k hydraulic winch on the back, do you have a build thread on the site?
*Thread-jack apology*

Not really. Being an M925A2, I already have one hydraulic 20k Garwood up front. I procured a second same hydro 20k Garwood winch complete including frame rails, mounting brackets, frame extensions, 280 feet of cable and chain hook, all that jazz, most of which I don't need. I am lifting the bed up, and dropping the second winch between the frame rails facing backward and as far rearward as I can, out of the way of axle articulation, and setting the bed back down. Then splitting the hydraulics to run either one. Dumping the mechanical cable-lever control, and going with waterproof switches both inside the cab and to the side at each winch location. Switches will actuate manifold mounted D05 24VDC hydraulic solenoid valves. By using a multi-station hydraulic manifold, I am going to plumb in bed dump cylinders (trying external mounted just like a Volvo dumper), and this will also give aux hydraulic connections to run hydraulic accessories like Bobcat attachments, a trailer mounted knuckle-boom (dear Santa), etc... 5 station hydraulic manifold, for front winch, rear winch, dump bed, external aux connection, and spare.

I'll take pics when doing it here relatively soon. You really won't know it is there because the majority of it will be mostly hidden under the bed. Just grab the chain hook from the rear just above the pintle and go to town. This winch cable will also be accessible from a bed floor trap door, of which the cable will come out and forward, and control the angle of my front A frame crane, and the front winch will do the actual crane lifting.

I really just want to use the truck heavily off road, and not be nervous to get it stuck in either direction. I got it stuck once already, and was thankful for the company of fearless friends and the stock front winch with 200' cable of which we used 190' of. I didn't want to buy such a fun toy, and then be scared to use (have fun with) it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My vote is:

932A2---which gets you started with:

lower purchase price of tractor
Shortest wheelbase- 167"
Dual fuel tanks
20k hyd winch up front
pass side toolbox up high
CTIS for tire press mgmt
no bed- mount short bed of choice

Then add:

16:00R20 XZL TIRES (53's)
HMTT RIMS (more offset)
Fording kit
45k drag winch on rear from M936 wrecker
ARB air lockers in 3 axles- (we've got a group buy in the works)

What mudhole could you not get out of when you have a 20k front & 45k rear drag winch with 280ft of cable on the spool...
You could probably make some pretty good money from being "The winch buggy" at Mudfests...dude's get stuck, you motor in and winch' em out in either direction...!
Agree with the up grade tires but I still like my USMC M817 w/w. Has 167" wheel base, can load ,haul and dump. I also know that more weight can hurt but sometimes when you need to pull someone else out the extra weight of the hoist and stuff will help keep the rear planted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks