• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHAT?!? $756.32 Won EVERYTHING! (M35A2)

saddamsnightmare

March 22nd, 2010.

Congratulations, USAFSS-ColdWarrior!!!!nopics
Usually they get sent back to the Texas Forest Service in such poor condition that there's little to pick over or bid on, so you got the luck of the Irish....... There was an M35A2 sent back from Texas A&M Commerce that about the only thing useable were the 11 tires, no bed and a blown engine (one cylinder blew the piston) so the truck went for scrap....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:?

TIGERFANS2

It's all about the INTELL. Without it, no strategy is worthy of execution :lol:

We the unwilling,
Led by the unknowing
Are doing the impossible
For the ungrateful.
We have done SO MUCH
For SO LONG
With SO LITTLE
That we are now qualified
To do ANYTHING

With NOTHING!!!!

I want to be your best friend in the whole world so some of that luck can rub off :lol:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remembered a few more OPTIOINS that this truck has....

Climate Control (that's a heater, guys!)

New Vinyl Soft-Top (came off the A3 when they swapped the hardtop over)

Flip-A-Switch Front End (air-engage)

Springer Driver's Seat (Sadly, not the fully reclining, heated, electric version)

and a BF-Grill-Guard on the front that'll make a GREAT BBQ PIT after I cut it off the front bumper !

Stay tuned for further updates............:jumpin:

dskchevy

If ya need some cash I could help ya out with say $600.00 for the truck..........:lol:

HA HA good catch !!!!! I hope it's 10x better than ya thought!!!!!!:lol:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never heard of rejecting a bid due to low-balling. How does that work?

It's really pretty simple....
Most Sealed Bid auctions include the caveat: Resserve the right to reject any and all bids."

Translated:

They may have an unpublished Minimum Bid that they will accept.

OR

They may eliminate certain bidders deemed fraudulaent or related to a politico etc.

Last edited:

50shooter

It makes me smile. I don't seem to find this kind of thing often but it is still cool when you know that other folks do. Nice job!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok boys and girls, children of all ages....
.... Here are the long-awaited photos of what has become known as THE ARK.
(I hope this link works - If not I'll edit a repair)

http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv112/jebariou/The%20Ark%20-%201968%20AM%20General%20M35A2/20100326%20Pre-Recovery%20in%20Eldorado%20TX/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_click

This MV is destined to become our household's Disaster Evacuation/Rescue Vehicle. In the event of Tornado-to-Zombie-Level local devastation, we otherwise have not had a vehicle sufficient to load up our five dogs (combined weight of 320 Lbs.) and our five cats along with the three of us to get to refuge.

I went back to Eldorado TX on Friday 3/26/10 to pay off the bid at the Schleicher County Courthouse and transfer the Title over. My intent was to also hook up with the guy that presently owns the Bed, load up and drive home. Unfortunately, the Bed-Guy was unexpectedly out of town, so the load-up and recovery is still a pending project.

Once the bed is paid for and loaded, then the spare engine, and assorted parts can be loaded into the bed and hauled home. She's roadworthy and will be driven home.

The parts pictured are just part of what came with the auction. I'm pleasantly pleased that the Mud Flaps, Bumperettes, a Gerry Can and Holder, and some other parts are included. Not in the pictures are 2 spare Doors, and 2 Steel Boarding Ladders from some shop trucks/trailers.

Missing from the collection of parts are Mirrors and Tail Lights - All of which have already been located from other nearby sources :jumpin: I have not yet seen the Pioneer Tool Rack but understand that there is one in the FireHouse for me.

While I was there, I did a good inspection all around. Idled her for about 20 minutes. Drove THE ARK around the Fire House checking all gears, hi-lo range, air-shift front axle, E-Brake, watched guages and EVERYTHING functioned as intended. There's no power to the lights, but I understand that all of them were disconnected from the stock switch and run through a custom switch-panel that has been removed and scavenged for their replacement truck. Reconnecting the wiring will be a simple task as all the original leads are intact. Since the recovery drive will be in daylight and with a chase vehicle, the lights are not a concern and will be fixed after arriving home.

That BIG BRUSH GUARD will be surgically removed from the original bumper to which it's been welded.

The more I'm around this truck, the more I'm convinced I made a good choice.... With God's guidance and influence... after all, she is THE ARK :!:

I'll add to the story of how this truck was discovered in another post to this thread shortly. I truely believe that it was Divinely inspired.

Last edited:

airmech3839

I cant see the pics....keeps telling me I am Forbidden!!!!......Not you too.....My wife says that enough I dont have to take it from a computer!!!! Argggghhhhh

airmech3839

Ok...it finally worked after I talk to it a little.......wonder if that would work with the wife........naaa

Nice....you gonna remove the cattle catcher?

Sweet deal.....:drool::drool:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This isn’t the story of an unusual PLACE to find an MV, but instead the ODD chain of events that lead to finding one…….

As many of you already know, we (Dianna is in this with me) have been in the market for an M35(A2?) or M109 for a while. Many factors have been influencing our selection and purchase, so bear with me as I tell the story. Hopefully, you’ll enjoy it as much as we’ve enjoyed experiencing it.

We’ve also been shopping for cars at the same time we’ve been looking for MVs. Our near term objective is to replace two cars and add a third for the teenager. I would rather buy select used vehicles than new ones, letting someone else suffer the first few years of depreciation than me taking the financial hit on the equity. I am patient in my searches and am NOT impulsive in my purchases. I usually find excellent deals on like-new vehicles and pay cash when I’m ready to close the deal. We credit this good financial fortune not to luck, but to Godly Guidance. Our cup is often filled to overflowing by HIM to whom all this "stuff" belongs in the first place.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, on a Wednesday we located, test drove, and struck a deal on a wonderfully maintained, low mileage minivan that Dianna really liked. The only impulsive input was the sparkle in her eyes as I negotiated the price.

The next day, Thursday, "the kid" (my stepdaughter, age 17) had a track meet in one of the small towns an hour away from home. We took the minivan on its first "road-trip". I was anxious to shop for cars in our hometown some more, but family comes first – Right?
NOTE: We are the "west Texas Detachment of the Steel Soldiers"… We live in an oasis of a city – approximately 100,000 people in the city limits and surrounding 10 miles – and are 60+ miles from the nearest Interstate Highway. The closest cities of similar size are 90 miles north and 130 miles west, 150 miles south and 200 miles east. There are just random towns of 3000 to 6000 people along those highways – but just a couple of them between us and the other "big" cities.

Kimmy road the Team Bus with the rest of her high school track team, and we followed a bit later. As we neared the stadium, we got a text message asking for CANDY as the kid thought she needed "energy". So, we stopped at the little town’s only convenience store and stocked up on snack food. On the way out of the store, I noticed a rack with the small town weekly newspaper. Wondering if there might be any cars for sale in the little town, I bought a copy for the sake of the classified ads…. "Small-town-paper" is an exaggeration…. This thing was printed on just two sheets of paper – folded like a newspaper, that’s just an 8-page paper!

We arrived at the stadium in time for Kimmy’s Triple Jump event and watched her compete. Then Dianna and I retired to the minivan to hang out until Kimmy’s next event (there was a strong cold wind that afternoon.)

I grabbed that little rag of a paper and breezed through it to the classified ads. There were NO cars, NO trucks, NO motorcycles listed. However, In the middle of the classified page in a BIG BLOCK with BOLD LETTERS is a PUBLIC NOTICE for a Deuce and a Half Cab & Chassis (retired Fire Truck) to be sold in a Sealed Bid Auction by the County!… I thought GOD Himself had made me buy that paper. The ONLY ad of interest was for a DEUCE!!!
Since we had plenty of time until the next event, Dianna suggested that we go find the Fire House and see if we could see it. The notice had mentioned calling the Fire Chief for info, but we didn’t feel we had time for that, just a quick drive-by. So off we went. In a small town, all the key locations are easy to find - - - On the Town Square. Yup! – The Fire House was right where it was supposed to be, and the Deuce was sitting out back.
She ain’t the prettiest truck, but what Deuce is? I did a walk around inspection and jumped into the cab for a look-see. Everything was good so far. Back outside, and up onto the to front bumper – behind a HUGE Brush Guard (she was a Brush-Fire Tanker/Pumper) I unlatched the hood and found a beautifully clean multi-fuel engine with turbo, a heater, and all the usual in spotless condition. So I buttoned her back up and climbed back into the cab. Hmmm: Air-ride seat, papers in the glove box, NEW soft-top…. What the heck…. I powered ON and all the gauges did what they were supposed to. (no Air Pressure Buzzer though). I hit the starter and NEVER heard her crank – She fired up before you could even hear the starter engage!!!! Now that’s a FIRE TRUCK – always ready to roll!!!

Time was running short, so I shut her down, and we headed back to the stadium. We caught the next short hurdles races and then got back in the minivan again to warm up. I grabbed the ad again. I said a quick prayer, "God, you brought us all this way from home to a Track Meet and made me find a Deuce! I guess you want me to CALL about it now, huh? Amen." So, now with some pointed questions to be asked, I called the Fire Chief for some answers.

Boy! Did I get some answers!!!

I first identified myself as being "from the city" and that I was in town for a Track Meet at the high school. His response: "Well, I’m at the Track Meet too! I’m at the concession stand cooking burgers." My reaction: "OMG!!! OK, God – You’ve brought me THIS FAR….."

I hung up the cell phone and met the Chief at the BBQ Trailer. Nice guy! He knows the truck very well. And we have some mutual friends and acquaintances to boot. He also told me that the truck comes with some extras… Including:
1 – Multi-Fuel Engine - Newly rebuilt (by the Army in July 1989) still in the crate! AWESOME! And…
Several Big Boxes of parts, spares, and accessories! (all of this stored indoors) AND…
He knows where there’s a bed that would fit on that bare chassis.

I call Dianna and tell her that the Chief and I are going to run back over to the Fire House so he can show me the "extras".

Once we’re there, I get a very prideful tour of the building and the fleet of vehicles. Their new rig is an M35A3 that replaced the old truck that’s up for bid. The Tank and Pump Unit on the A3 is the one that had been on the old truck. The bed that’s available is the A3 bed that was stripped from the new A3 – My head says it’s probably a Drop-Side!!! (I now know it’s NOT a Drop-Side – oh well.)

The A3 Bed (with Troop Seats and 2 Bows) was "given" to an electrician who was working on the building when the truck work was being done. He got it for FREE so the Chief suggested that if I get the truck, a few more bucks could probably get the A3 Bed too. Cool!

The Chief also provided some of the old truck’s history. They acquired it fresh from an Army rebuild, with 30 miles and about 5 hours on her when she was delivered to them. She’s now showing 10,000 miles and 500 hours after about 15 years of fire service. She’s a 1968 AM General from the Army. (I’ll be asking CARNAC for his historic input once I have sufficient info to help his search.) She was taken out of service less than 60 days ago. Maintenance was regular and thorough – keeping her ready for action.

Needless to say, we submitted a Sealed Bid. Then wait for the County Commissioners (they actually own the truck) to open them. We remained optimistic, yet reserved, awaiting the Bid Opened.

GOD is SOOOO GOOD!

But don’t’ go away yet…. There’s MORE!!!

Two days after locating that Deuce, we take another road trip – this time to New Mexico about 4 hours away. On the way out there, again going through one of the small towns, I eyeball a Military Trailer and two extra trailer frames next to a Tarp & Upholstery Shop. They were all wheel-less and without bows, so I’m thinking they aren’t there for new tarps. We didn’t stop on the outbound leg of the trip, but we did stop on the way back. One is a complete-except-wheels/tires M103 trailer – painted desert tan - and two extra M103 frames with axles, Lunette Rings, brake systems, and wire harnesses…. I take this as God’s provision again. Amen!

Further down the road, as we’re passing a County courthouse, I think I caught a glimpse of OD Green behind the stately structure. We whip around the block and find another Fire House with a freshly-delivered-from-DRMO Deuce (Cab & Chassis only)!!! She’s even still got the bar-coded stickers on the fenders and doors, etc. I KNOW that she’s destined to be another Brush-Fire Truck. I’m thinking that God’s pointing me toward another possible Bed!!! God is GOOD! I thank Him again.

Roll the clock ahead to Monday. I call the Tarp & Upholstery Shop about the trailers. They don’t own them, but refer me to the guy that does. He’s out of town for a few days. I left him a message. I hope he calls back soon.

Next, I call the Fire Chief in the county with the "new" Deuce. He tells me it didn’t have a Bed – It had a "communication box" on the back. Hark! We got us an M109!!! He tells me that the box is probably still available if I want it. He’ll be checking with his head mechanic and getting back to me. I feel like I’ve hit the MOTHER LODE !!!

On Tuesday, the guy with the trailers calls back. Those trailers aren’t his, but he has a Deuce, a 10-Ton, and several other trailers near where we saw the trailers! The 10-Ton is NOT for sale, but all the others "could be for sale for a price". We’ll consider those options as time goes on……

I DO believe that when the Good Lord fills your cup – It WILL be overflowing. All of a sudden, I have more MV options that I almost know what to do with!

And now, my friends…. That’s the odd story of HOW, not WHERE, some MV’s are found.
I’ll update y’all as there is more to report, when there is more to be reported.

Thanks for reading my ramblings……..

UPDATE:
This story was originally composed several days ago for posting to a different thread..and has been updated now for "publication".

On Monday, October 22, 2010 the Commissioners Court of Schelicher County, Texas (Eldorado, TX) opened the two bids for the 1968 AM General M35 that they had up for auction. The low bid was $350.00. Our bid won at $756.32 ! ! !

TYPO NOTE: Our actual bid for this truck and engine and parts was $756.32… Sorry for the mistake in the Thread Title.

Other posts above have presented some more details of this story…. Stay tuned for MORE………..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks