• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHAT?!? $756.32 Won EVERYTHING! (M35A2)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
THE BED DEAL IS CINCHED :!: :!: :!:

I had a wonderful conversation with the gentleman who owns the Bed that the Fire Department discarded from their new M35A3. We have agreed to a price and have arranged for load-out of the bed for 0900hrs on Satruday, April 3rd. Once the bed is loaded and bolted onto the chassis, we'll head over to the Fire House to load the extra engine and all the spare parts.

I also talked to the Fire Chief again to be sure that loading assistance would be available on his end on Easter Weekend. GOOD NEWS: Not only will there be plenty of help, but the list of included parts seems to be growing as VFD Members bring in their knowledge of where various spares have been stashed or hidden "just in case". The VFD has several Mil-Surplus containers, van bodies, and shop truck boxes that are used for storage. Seems everyone has their own special place to squirrel away parts. The word is out that anything that could not be used on the new A3 needs to go "to this sucker who bought old Engine 32."

Anywaze... Looks like Saturday is RECOVERY DAY.... T-minus4 days, 12 hours and counting down :jumpin: :arrow: :driver:

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're going to soon run out of room to put everything! Your return trip will look like the Clampett's truck on the way to California! :D
Yes, indeed:p That is exactly the mental visual that came to mind as the list of parts grew..... The Beverly Hillbillies Truck with a red cab and woodland camo bed (with FIBERGLASS Troop Seats!!!)

Attachments

waayfast

Been watching your story with great interest. My M-35 purchase was kind of like yours---fire dept a couple of towns away buys a "new" A3 to upgrade from the old M35.They swap beds and sold the A3 bed with the old truck.The fiberglas troop seats/racks, bows and cargo cover were in the back when I went to pick up the truck.
Although NOT period correct for 1957, I chose to paint the cab (red) to match the "new"A3 bed as it saved a BUNCH of time and still looks okay.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been watching your story with great interest. My M-35 purchase was kind of like yours---fire dept a couple of towns away buys a "new" A3 to upgrade from the old M35.They swap beds and sold the A3 bed with the old truck.The fiberglas troop seats/racks, bows and cargo cover were in the back when I went to pick up the truck.
Although NOT period correct for 1957, I chose to paint the cab (red) to match the "new"A3 bed as it saved a BUNCH of time and still looks okay.

WOW!

This is like seeing pictures of what I've conjured in my imagination. I expect mine to look almost exactly like the Red-Cab/Camo-Bed combo that yours morphed through.
Your finished product looks "wunnerful"!

Thanks for posting :smile:

Last edited:

waayfast

Yeah, the choice was paint everything -cab,bed,troopseats(TRY sanding the insides of those troopracks, go ahead ,I dare ya:roll:,so the paint will stick properly!!) so it was 1957 era style correct or wimp out and just paint the cab.I went with Gillispie 383 Green (1Gal)383 brown (1 gal), thinned with Xylene-no hardener.The flat black was NAPA rattle can.
35-40$ gallon -CHEAP but the plastic tarp I use to cover it in the winter will "polish" shiny spots were the wind makes it rub the surface.
Opps! almost forgot--I did use PPG DP40/401 catalyzed epoxy primer reduced to be used as a sealer to "lockdown" any crappy old paint so as to eliminate "bleed thru". Good insurance!! You can see in the pics during prep the small spots of old orange paint that were exposed during the sanding process--They BLED like a stuck hog!! Had I not used the sealer the orange would have made spots!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks