• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What a challenge. M816 salvage

chrsbb19

I've had a few inquiry's into some photos of my progress and I decided to make this post. I will update it as regularly as possible with images and how I found the best way for me to perform the task.

catskillpond

Good luck I am half way done with mine sanding the rust and peeling paint at this point on the crane. Was going to sandblast but just got into it with the wire wheels and several sanders

chrsbb19

Ok so as promised, Her is my attempt at changing the rear hub seal

Below:I was hoping the drum would slide off, originally i thought the wheel cylinder went out due to the massive leak only after i put in some break fluid witch latter on i found out i used the wrong kind. (ill fix it later)
IMG_0314.jpg
Below:Had to pull out the Whatsits from the thingymabob. "JOKE" The spline shaft from the hub to remove the drum.

IMG_0315.jpg

Below:After i removed the shaft i took a photo of the inner seal so i could blow it up to see better
IMG_0330.JPG

Below:the blown up picture showed a torn inner seal, i dont have the proper tools or the time needed to do that job now. i ordered the seal and later will Finnish the axle.

FullSizeRender.jpg

chrsbb19

Below:Im in hawaii so finding the socket was imposable, and im not using a drift so i went to homedepot and found a 5in set of watter pump pliers. couldent move it by it self so i had to hold the handles together to get it off.

IMG_0371.jpg
Below:took the hub off to replace the wheel cylinder and discovered that it wasn't the culprit, I ordered the new seal and attempted to install it and failed, then got really pissed cause it wouldent go in so i smashed it with a 5lb mallet. Made me feel better until i remembered it was the only one.

IMG_0340.jpg

Below: Now i have ordered another deal and a new mallet and a 6in piece of pvc witch fits beautifully.

image.jpg

Below:So perfect, dont skimp the pipe cost me $12 and it went in in a few seconds.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

chrsbb19

Found a new hoist cable on ebay, installed and found a problem.
IMG_0299.JPG
The cable twisted at the end, so i unhooked it, stretched it back out and untwisted it again.
IMG_0343.jpg

So i sucked the cable back up and it finaly is perfect, greased the cable to prevent rusting.

Last edited:

chrsbb19

i replaced the transmission poppet valve a while back and it bothered me that it was leaking. everything was working on it and the transfer case so i was unsure what it was. I decided to remove the transfer case air valve and was astonished, how the heck was this thing working?
IMG_0373.JPGIMG_0374.jpg
the seals were non existent as you can see in the photo above. as well look at the damage to the sleeve, and thats after i used scotch brite for 30min to clean it.

I was driving it for over an hour the other day forwards and backwards, no issues...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks