• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are hard to find parts for a CUCV?

MrBouncer

What are the parts for these CUCV's that are getting the hardest to find. I just got my 1028 a month ago and I want to go ahead and stock up on parts especially the hard to find ones.

OL AG '89

Wait hard parts for the CUCV????
This truck is a civillian model truck modified by adding 24volts starting, charging system and blackout lights.....
Everything on the truck is "Stock" chevy....
Dennis,
Go to the NAPA or O'Reilly or Advance or ..... and ask for the radiator hose that fits the civvy year model equivalent..... It's a 8x year model C30....... I think......

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CUCVs where built using the '83-'84 standards, They did not receiv the '85 and up upgrades. So when asking for parts ask for parts for a 1984 K30 pickup or 1984 K5 Blazer.

That will get you the correct parts. For correct engine parts for the Blazer, ask for the pickup version. That will give you the J-code engine parts. The J-code is the non-emmissions version available only on the heavy duty engines.

Now to your question. Any of the specific military upgrades are getting harder to find. GP controller, capacitor/noise supressors, wiring, blackout lights, etc.

A couple of the stock items are harder to find. The CDR vavle and the Vacuum Control Valve on the injector pump (over 400 where just sold on GL and will be listed soon in the want ads...No I did not buy any). There are probably more but those two come to mind.

With all that said, any vehicle that is 25+ years old will see the available parts start drying up. So plan accordingly. You may not be able to walk in and pick something up and will have to order it and wait.

Last edited:

BIG_RED

I second that CDR valves are becoming harder to come by, at least in canada where GL is out of reach. Other than that, as said before - almost everything is the same as the civvy version. Maybe an extra 24 volt starter would be worth having. Those will probably go extinct in the next few years. Most parts can be pulled off wreaked civvy trucks, and most other parts have alternatives (ex: spin on fuel filter swap, manual glow plug switch, etc.). Good luck.

dennisS

Ol Ag '89, nope, the ones they have are for all the COCV's with the exception of the M-1010. The reason is that the M-1010 has both alternators on one side, the lower ones belt will interfere with the normal hose that fits all the other CUCV's.

Dennis

dennisS

The original lower hose on the M-1010 is a GM 14067763. This hose now cross references to the Gates 21285 and a similar Dayco product. After purchasing one of each and trying to install them it is obvious that they are completely different in their configuration. The original hose turns down from the engine block clearing the alternator belt by several inches, the Gates and Dayco go straight toward the radiator interfering with the lower alternator belt. So far no success.

Dennis

Last edited:

dennisS

After several months of searching I took WPNS421's advice, called Eastern , they did a search and two days ago my hose arrived. A little spendy but when you can't find them paying a little extra is good insurnace. Thanks for the advice!

Dennis

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transmission vacuum valves are on the endangered species list for CUCV also!

I have them available in the classifieds, if interested in stocking up. CUCV Vacuum Valves

Last edited:

WPNS421

ahh nothing like oportunistic profiteering....
Some people invest time and money in buying and storing items that are becoming increasingly hard to find, so we can maintain our MVs. It is not a crime to make a few bucks, it's the American way of life. I have seen Doghead help people with his advise and knowledge and he gives it away FREE. So what if he makes a few dollars, did you notice in his ad he also gives away a gauge and instructions on how to do the work, in my books real value for your dollar. GIVE ME A BREAK.

b4thundr

The Governor Controls on the M1031 are really hard to find , I know they are not being made anymore! but there is a guy on here that is selling a modern replacement version for all three boxes..................................vvvvvvvvv

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks