• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are you guys paying?

cucvrus

Haoleb does have a point. Remember that the further it strays into "modified", the less it's actual value as a military vehicle.
Also, look closely at the truck/pictures to see how much of the original equipment is missing (the front shackles and the battery trays, for example), and how well the modifications have been done. The poor steering would suggest that the lift kit wasn't exactly a professional job, so look into that closely. Is it safe to operate on the street? Will your insurance cover an extensively modified truck?
Points to ponder.

But only you can decide what is best for you. :beer:

Cheers
I would NOT buy it. It does look like a hodge podge of parts. But I like parts and messing with things as long as it is not hacked and messed with to bad. I wish you luck. If you are looking for an expensive project buy it. If not and you are not familiar with CUCV's and the inner workings. It may be tough to get help with the mixture of parts that are assembled there. That has a whole lot of uncharted territory just by looking at the pictures. What did it roll off the Van Dyke street assembly line as. Only Flint would know.

Last edited:

Drock

I don't know? this is a tuff one. The M1028-A2's are kind of rare & pretty desirable. The lift, and/or steering doesn't scare me, those are easily fixed. The interior looks to be in really good shape, I figure you would save about $1000.00 or more right there. The only thing that concerns me would be the motor swap. How well was it done? how well does it run & drive? What trans is in it? It could be really good or really bad:shrugs:. If done well the turbo would be about a $2000.00 value, and in my opinion a $5000.00 purchase price would be a really good deal. 2cents

3jumpjeep

Ok sounds more promising, I texted the current owner for a photo of the plate and a time to go see and hear it. The more I'm reading here and on the technical/trouble shooting threads, the more comfortable with the project I am.

Thanks for the info! Some really great looking trucks on here for sure! I'm not super worried about speed as this will be a toy and I'm rarely in a rush. The owner also says he's reworked the axles completely to give it a much more comfortable top speed
Reworked sounds like ring/pinion radio change. Inquire what radio he swapped in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe not an engine swap but modified and 12v conversion done it looks like.
How was it done and was it done correctly?? Who knows!!
Everything painted black looks horrible.
What was cut up doing the smokestack?The closer you look look the worse it gets.

You seeing a pattern here?!

Walk away.......no..,,Run.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regardless of anything else, I wouldn't drive it over 10 mph until smaller tires are installed in the rear. With the sidewalls making contact there's no room for speed, or a load of any kind, as they would quickly build heat and self destruct.

sneekyeye

IMAG0531[1].jpg
I paid 5500 for my 1028 with 25k on it. It had two new tires, and two about half tread. Really not much wrong with it. I did have to repair some janky wiring, and its got an injection pump off of a vehicle with a throttle position sensor instead of the vacuum regulator, but other than that, its basically solid with a good interior.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2cents + tax: I see a parts vehicle that's worth about $1500 - $2000. I'd consider buying it if I had the time, energy, money, tools, and shop to work on it. I'd strip it, keep the parts I want, and sell the rest.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2cents + tax: I see a parts vehicle that's worth about $1500 - $2000. I'd consider buying it if I had the time, energy, money, tools, and shop to work on it. I'd strip it, keep the parts I want, and sell the rest.
I'd gladly pay $2,000 for it. Not that I can think of a need for a slow dually that needs to be lowered and get new tires, but not having a logical reason for buying a vehicle has rarely stopped me in the past.
Then there's the "...time, energy, money..." part.

Jacobl

Well I asked TWICE to come see the truck, but the current owner doesn't seem to have an interest in selling it (even though he put it on Craigslist AND lowered the asking price, so I never even got a chance to look it over or negotiate the price at all. Too bad, cuz I had the cash and everything and planned to have a friend who is a diesel mechanic help me out with getting it running right... depositing the cash back into the bank and giving up =(

Lots of great info and things to look for in my ongoing hunt for a military truck!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, maybe you dodged a bullet on that one.
If the seller is flaky, the truck likely is too. Remember, there is a reason he decided to sell it after doing all that to it. Could be priorities changed, could be he needs $$, but also could be he messed it up past the point of no return. :shrugs:

Remember that there is always another one out there. Be patient and keep looking. :driver:

Cheers

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably a good move.
Well I asked TWICE to come see the truck, but the current owner doesn't seem to have an interest in selling it (even though he put it on Craigslist AND lowered the asking price, so I never even got a chance to look it over or negotiate the price at all. Too bad, cuz I had the cash and everything and planned to have a friend who is a diesel mechanic help me out with getting it running right... depositing the cash back into the bank and giving up =(

Lots of great info and things to look for in my ongoing hunt for a military truck!

3jumpjeep

Well, maybe you dodged a bullet on that one.
If the seller is flaky, the truck likely is too. Remember, there is a reason he decided to sell it after doing all that to it. Could be priorities changed, could be he needs $$, but also could be he messed it up past the point of no return. :shrugs:

Remember that there is always another one out there. Be patient and keep looking. :driver:

Cheers
Better to pay a bit more, but buy fewer headaches.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hulkdeisel

I gave $3k for my 09 in Aug. It had 44k, very good interior & NO leaks & runs perfect. I drive it daily to work putting 2.6k of trouble free miles so far.

Attachments

2deuce

The last M1009 I sold 3 years ago I put on CR for $1800. It was nice and original, no rust, low miles and I only got 1 call after a week, he bought it but crawled all over it for an hour looking for something wrong. There wasn't, it didn't even leak a drop. If I didn't price it so cheap maybe it would have had more interest. There seen to be a lot of CUCV's in Oregon so the prices were lower here. Location can determine price. Prices are rising since there are few surplus. I sold a M1028 with 16K, perfect original rust free Marine truck for 5k last year. It had wide 16.5 mud tires put on by a Nat"l Wildlife refuge and push button glow plugs as it's only mods.

Bighorn

Trucks here in Wyoming, and I mean any truck in decent shape, goes for a premium.
It is the little cars that are cheap.
Out in California when I visit my Dad, I am surprised to see trucks for sale so cheap and little cars are at a premium.
Someone could make a living bringing all those old trucks out from the west coast to the midwest and selling them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks