• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are you using to collect WMO

GPappy

Just missed out on 500 gallons of free WMO because I didn't have anything to store it in. What are you using to transport your oil when you collect it and where is a good place to pick up reasonably priced tanks?

ARYankee

I use 55 gallon drums and some used plastic totes that used to hold new motor oil. There is a guy fairly local that I found on craigslist that sells both fairly priced. I just need to work on a better pump setup.

A

A/C Cages

55 gallon drums. I have 11 car repair shops all near me who collect only good WMO for me and then they get strained before going into the drums, strained again going from drums to smaller containers which I mix 50/50 with clean deisel. I even get alot of clean deisel from the desiel mechanics around here who have to drain tanks or purge systems.

sp00n

I have one 55gal drum slowly amassing WMO from my personal cars and lawnmowers. I have considered asking local shops if I can have their waste oil and ATF but I haven't figured out where I'd keep it. If I fill drums in the back of the truck, I have no way to get the full drums back out of the truck once home.

panshark

Big challenge that I would wager that you face is how to get the juice up and down out of the back of the truck (if you're using the truck to haul it). In my duece, I'm fortunate enough to have a forklift on site to lift a 250-gallon tote (white plastic tank with a tube cage built around it) into the back. Of course, when I get home, gravity can do most of the work, but I have to have a second tote or fuel tank to drain into, due to not having a forklift available at my depot.

For those who are challenged on space/resources but still want to participate in WMO fun, an attractive option would be to throw a fuel tank designed for a pickup truck bed into the back. It may have a refueling pump/nozzle attached, doesn't take up much space, and you can leave it there during all of your vehicle related activities. Sure, you may not be able to score 500 gallons at a time, but 50 gallons is better than nothing.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you have the lift capability (as mentioned above) the 250 gallon "totes" are the way to go. Using a 12 volt pump with in-line filter you can drive around to locations that will give you UMO and fill the tote up.

I use a pickup tube made of PVC pipe with a screen on the bottom to prevent chunks from getting into the pump.

Never go all the way to the bottom of a container you are pumping from.....that is where all the water/crud ends up.

I filter at every stage of recycling.

You may find it harder to get waste oil.....companies that used to charge or pick it up for free are now paying for used oil. I lost a couple of sources to the big recycler in the area that is paying 25 cents a gallon for it now.

paulfarber

If you stay with 250gal totes then your total weight should be under 1 ton (oil is 8lbs/gal * 250 = 2000 + tare weight.

You could easily build a gantry from wood or buy a steel one to lift it on/off.

Thats my plan for this summer.

Josh

I use drums to transport it around. I just tow a civy trailer behind my deuce and use a handtruck to unload it from the trailer. I have some 275gal totes, I just have been to lazy to incorperate them into the filtering system

Tlauden

I have been thinking ways to do this also, my best theory so far (that's works for me) would get a 3/4 ton trailer from the local military surplus store for about $500 and put the tote w/cage setup in it and dedicate that to collecting the motor oil from my local sources. Then at home pump it into 55gal drums and from there finish the process with filtering, etc.. An in the end having drums of clean WMO to use.. This is just my 2cents on this idea

zout

From our end of the spectrum here in Ga. as a producer of WMO.
EPA under 50 CFR part 279 as a non hazardous product. The vendor we use is insured as we only dispose of 350 to 400 gallons per month of 15w40. No antifreeze and unless a diesel had a fuel in oil issue would be the only way diesel would be introduced into the WMO.

The vendor has to be fully insured as he is reponsible there is no leakage on site and he (she) is reponsible for the transportation to their facility and according licensed per the State of Ga to do so.

Its just another thing laying around here and would just be one of those added on projects to do WMO seperation for a fuel souirce.

Was nice back in Mich - just used it in the waste oil furnaces - NWH can you think of doing that down here.

I just picked up three 275 gallon totes (commonly called IBC or Intermediate Bulk Container) today. I plan on transporting the oil home in a 55 gallon drum and filling up two of the totes. The third will be for my filtered oil ready to be pumped into my fuel tank. The reason I'm transporting in a 55 gallon drum is to avoid any DOT Haz-Mat issues. WMO is a hazardous material if transported in quantities (I forget the exact amount, but I recall a 55 gallon drum being lower than that amount).

panshark

hey judd, I've perused the EPA website, and am in no way an expert on EPA or DOT rules. However, one thing that struck me was that the EPA says that when WMO is added to a diesel mixture it's no longer considered wmo, but rather diesel. Don't know if that would change any of your state hazmat considerations. You could add 10 gallons of diesel to a tote and bingo, you've just turned 200 gallons of WMO into 210 gallons of diesel mixture.

Last edited:

goldneagle

I have one 55gal drum slowly amassing WMO from my personal cars and lawnmowers. I have considered asking local shops if I can have their waste oil and ATF but I haven't figured out where I'd keep it. If I fill drums in the back of the truck, I have no way to get the full drums back out of the truck once home.
I remember seeing on the movie Battle of the Bulge they rolled the drums off the trucks on ramps. Just make sure it is sealed tight and nothing to puncture it where it will roll on the ground.

mikey

If you have the lift capability (as mentioned above) the 250 gallon "totes" are the way to go. Using a 12 volt pump with in-line filter you can drive around to locations that will give you UMO and fill the tote up.

I use a pickup tube made of PVC pipe with a screen on the bottom to prevent chunks from getting into the pump.

Never go all the way to the bottom of a container you are pumping from.....that is where all the water/crud ends up.

I filter at every stage of recycling.

You may find it harder to get waste oil.....companies that used to charge or pick it up for free are now paying for used oil. I lost a couple of sources to the big recycler in the area that is paying 25 cents a gallon for it now.
can you post some more info about this pump setup? im looking precisely for a pump for that reason... ill be pumping wmo/wvo from drums at various locations into a drum in my deuce or f150... when i get home ill be using gravity to move the wmo/wvo from the truck to the centrifuge, so im only looking for an affordable pump for the actual recovery of the oils..

thanks

mikey

hedgehog69

Just missed out on 500 gallons of free WMO because I didn't have anything to store it in. What are you using to transport your oil when you collect it and where is a good place to pick up reasonably priced tanks?
I use plastic 55 gal drums. I can manhandle these ok. They are tough...I roll them out of the F250 4x4....onto grass....about 3' drop. Never busted one yet.

A few years ago, a local guy saw me raslin' barrels...asked me if I would be interested in a barrel mover for $25. I said "Heck yes"!! Is easily worth 10 times that amount!! I highly recommend one to anyone that has to move full barrels ...takes soooo much of the work out of it![thumbzup]

RAYZER

My buddy oddball and I plan on using plastic 55gal drums to recover wmo,we have found a source for about 400 gal,we loaded up the drums in the back of the deuce and made an attempt to recover our black gold using a harbour freight diesel transfer pump and miserably failed, the problem was the pump wouldnt pump the oil out of the container to the 8' height required, the least exspensive oil transfer pump I can find that will do the job (ebay) is $300.00 for a geared head style pump that will pump up to 15' heigth at 7-10 gpm, I will surlly get one of these but for now I will build a transfer pump out of a small block chevy oil pump and give it another shot!
:grd:

hedgehog69

My buddy oddball and I plan on using plastic 55gal drums to recover wmo,we have found a source for about 400 gal,we loaded up the drums in the back of the deuce and made an attempt to recover our black gold using a harbour freight diesel transfer pump and miserably failed, the problem was the pump wouldnt pump the oil out of the container to the 8' height required, the least exspensive oil transfer pump I can find that will do the job (ebay) is $300.00 for a geared head style pump that will pump up to 15' heigth at 7-10 gpm, I will surlly get one of these but for now I will build a transfer pump out of a small block chevy oil pump and give it another shot!
I use a grease pump that restaurants use to pump their fryer oil. These are great pumps...tough!! Not real fast, but they do ok...probably takes 20 min or so to pump 55 gal. New these things are $1000+....I have found a couple of them on ebay

ODdave

If you stay with 250gal totes then your total weight should be under 1 ton (oil is 8lbs/gal * 250 = 2000 + tare weight.

You could easily build a gantry from wood or buy a steel one to lift it on/off.

Thats my plan for this summer.
its 7.4 lbs per gallon. @250gal is 1850lbs, even better yet!

bill2444

If you ever collect any wvo, save the nice 5 gallon containers they come in. Pass them out to your friends for wmo collection. You can even save enough to pass out to small shops. They pour easily, easy to handle, and even fit in the trunk of a car. ( I tell people to just drop them off when full in the driveway i'll take care of them for you) I love to get big drums full, but every one is after those now days. And have had some good results with the cubbies. As long as you don't have to go out of your way to pick them up. But most friends and acquaintances have been dropping them back off on there way to town ( win-win)

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a friend that uses one of those farm type fuel pumps to move WMO from one container to another. He says it works fine but the motor gets hot after pumping 55 gallons. I have the same pump with a spin on filter and I'm going to see how it works pumping through a filter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks