• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What coolant & for MEP-802a? Precharged nitrite type or just green heavy duty type?

csheath

The easy path to the block drain is to disconnect the negative battery cable and roll the alternator out of the way.
block-drain.jpg

That Rotella ELC stuff turns out to be RED. Says it's silicate and sulfate free diesel rated antifreeze so I went ahead and used it. Strange that it only reads good to zero on my hydrometer at 50%. That will be fine for around here but normal green stuff would go to -20* minimum at 50%. Easiest way I found to get it in was to siphon.

20161217_163433.jpg

Radiator design is a bit of a mystery. Never seen a cross flow radiator with both hoses on the same side tank. I suppose it must have a divider or baffle mid tank to direct the flow through the channels. That sideways cap opening is not the best design I've seen either.

Haoleb

I agree, filling the radiator is a real pain with the location of the opening. I jacked mine up as high as I could on the one side so it would be easier to pour the liquids in and then used a funnel... The whole time thinking.. really guys? who thought this was a good idea!?!

Guyfang

Staff member
I agree, filling the radiator is a real pain with the location of the opening. I jacked mine up as high as I could on the one side so it would be easier to pour the liquids in and then used a funnel... The whole time thinking.. really guys? who thought this was a good idea!?!
Refer to message 13, last line.

Jigawatts

Just got my MEP-803A with 6 hrs on it! Opened the radiator cap when going through the unit and found this:

IMG_0410.jpg
No visible coolant.. okay, but the gelatanized coolant (I'm guessing from the silicate based coolant) leaves me a bit concerned? I'm guessing a flush is in order, as the cap gasket fell apart in my hands from corrosion!
Any and all suggestions for a flushing solution or treatment ideas to correctly deal with what's going on here are welcome!
I plan to with the coolant recommended on this thread the Rotella ELC.
the coolant in the recovery bottle looks great though! The paperwork in the unit indicates in was in preservation up until time of sell?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this unit was preserved, it probably had a special 'oil' put into this... or it might not have. Never can tell with little accountability.

I would personally fill it up with water, and let it run for a while to get up to temp, then drain. I would then repeat with a radiator flush+cleaner (any auto parts store), and run and drain. THen probably do water again, and make sure it runs clean at the end, and fill with fluid of your choosing.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many hours are on the unit? If its under 100, keep the break in oil in the machine. Obviously if its like 90 hours... its probably OK to dump if you want something else.

Bmxenbrett

I have a friend who use to work in the testing lab for Prestone. He said use motocraft in these iron block/head diesel generators. The vc-7-B stuff, when mixed it looks clear.

Guyfang

Staff member
If this unit was preserved, it probably had a special 'oil' put into this... or it might not have. Never can tell with little accountability.

I would personally fill it up with water, and let it run for a while to get up to temp, then drain. I would then repeat with a radiator flush+cleaner (any auto parts store), and run and drain. THen probably do water again, and make sure it runs clean at the end, and fill with fluid of your choosing.
Just for the heck of it, drain your water into a container, and look at it. Then let it stand over night, and look at it again, but on the bottom of the container. Be nice if the container is glass, then you get a better view of what's in it.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for the heck of it, drain your water into a container, and look at it. Then let it stand over night, and look at it again, but on the bottom of the container. Be nice if the container is glass, then you get a better view of what's in it.
Very good idea! A couple of quart mason jars would work nicely.

Jigawatts

How many hours are on the unit? If its under 100, keep the break in oil in the machine. Obviously if its like 90 hours... its probably OK to dump if you want something else.
6 hours on unit. I was mentioning draining it in response to your suggestion of it possibly having a "special oil" in it from preservation? The oil in it is very clean or at least pears to be newly added.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it truly has 6 hours, keep the break in oil in place, and run it for the full 100 they ask. It has special characteristics that a brand new engine needs to properly seat everything. They 'preserve' the cooling system so it won't degrade while sitting.

Jigawatts

Will do, I'll do it this afternoon if possible and report back tomorrow. Thanks to all!

Jigawatts

The easy path to the block drain is to disconnect the negative battery cable and roll the alternator out of the way.
View attachment 658607
I'm guessing they decided to make life easier on us with the newer models? There is a pet cock and drain hose plumbed in now! Those without may want to make this mod if doing the work to lower the alternator? It could make life easier down the road!
IMG_0452.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks