• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I stumble on, Deuce or 5-Ton??

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The more I look at that picture, ( the white cab complete truck) the more I'm willing to bet its a CCW not a CCKW. Wish the weeds in front allowed us to see the front axle, I'd be willing to bet its an I-beam axle not a "banjo" for a CCKW. There are just too many similarities to my truck there. Looks to be original rubber too which tells me its not the off road CCKW, but a 5 ton. Next time you're there look on the shaft tunnel under the dash, there should be a builders plate from the Yellow Truck and Bus there that will give the weight at 20,000.
Not mine.
Good thing for you no one took your bet, your wallet would be thinner!
It's a CCKW 5-42
Yellow Truck and Coach MFG. Co, Pontiac, MI. Maybe the new owner will give up some of the other details that make that truck "extra special" besides the magazine on the floorboard!

The capstan winch sold for $120.00, looked even better out of the weeds!

The Cat D5C with 56 hrs was a steal for a bargain price at $60k,(a dealer bought it). Had a $17k winch on the back.

Attachments

Last edited:

L1A1

That guy had a lot of CCKWs on his property. Reminded me of some of the farms around here 20 years ago. This area was a gold mine of 1/2 Dodges and G506s. Sadly when those farmers passed, most of that stuff went to the crusher.
Matt

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prices were very good on most units. Only a couple were in the upper echelon.
The truck closely resembling a G7173 only brought $1700.
M51 brought $4100.
The CCKW/winch in the hut brought $7500.

At least a couple vehicles bought by SS members.

gunboy1656

Prices were very good on most units. Only a couple were in the upper echelon.
The truck closely resembling a G7173 only brought $1700.
M51 brought $4100.
The CCKW/winch in the hut brought $7500.

At least a couple vehicles bought by SS members.
Glad you didn't tell me about that auction, I would have been tempted to try for the m51. That auction was only a couple hours away.

MtnTamr

There was alot more stuff there than I saw when I walked around the place the first time. That guy had stuff stashed everywhere. Well, I didn't get what I went for.... but I forsee much fun in my future!
You can see my buddy and his son "bottle feeding" the old girl to get it up to, and on the trailer. Engine seems to run fine, The fuel pump and Carb needs some attention.
Anyone have a Zenith carberator rebuild kit?
You can see the White-ish "extra special" CCKW in the background. I hope he got it home.

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was alot more stuff there than I saw when I walked around the place the first time. That guy had stuff stashed everywhere. Well, I didn't get what I went for.... but I forsee much fun in my future!
You can see my buddy and his son "bottle feeding" the old girl to get it up to, and on the trailer. Engine seems to run fine, The fuel pump and Carb needs some attention.
You can see the White-ish "extra special" CCKW in the background. I hope he got it home.
I was looking at that contraption on the auction site. This guy must have done a lot of home-improvements. Somebody of the SS crew now should say to you (or your buddy) "Welcome to the Wrecker Club". :beer:

Definitely wouldn't have minded to a few hours driving just to see all the stuff and walk around, maybe picking up something small. Looks he also had two nice old little pre-war Ford pickups there. Any idea how much the total auction brought? Must have been a small (or not so small) fortune.

F18hornetM

Wow, that guy did have some stuff. Looking through the pictures that thing caught my eye as well. Wonder what he used it for? Maybe just hauling stuff around the farm.

joeM62

Can you say the land of green iron:drool::drool:, it would have been nice to see those trucks being put to use. That saw mill looks like the one we have behind my work place. Glad some SS guys saved some of it.

MtnTamr

Not mine.
Maybe the new owner will give up some of the other details that make that truck "extra special" besides the magazine on the floorboard!

I was wondering what happened to that magazine. It was in the tool box on mine earlier that day. I imagine that it was picked up by lots of people.

MtnTamr

Wow, that guy did have some stuff. Looking through the pictures that thing caught my eye as well. Wonder what he used it for? Maybe just hauling stuff around the farm.
My friends (locals) say he made those skidders to drag/haul logs to the saw mill. He did a pretty good job putting the third axles on a couple CCKW's too. He was a pretty good fabricator.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few more pics from the auction.

Radiator shade in pic#1.
US Mail painted on side of bed in pic#8.
Deutz powered Ford in #9.
Ford in the last pic is powered by Perkins.

Attachments

Last edited:

MtnTamr

I hope whoever got that green utility truck plans on doing a resto. That's a nice piece. the perkins turbo truck was **** cool. It even had air lines on the back for pulling an air brake trailer.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got word that after the auction more troves of parts/equipment were found up in the woods across the road from the house/garage area. They might be finding his stuff for years up in the wooded hills.
The new owner of the truck pictured DROVE this truck home to it's new state after affecting on site repairs. All the lights were working also!.

Attachments

MtnTamr

That's amazing. That was a good buy. I told the family that if they needed any help "cleaning up" the property to call me. Never know what you'll find.

Monkeyboyarmy

Some more details on that truck: original ww2 bed,not a replacement,troop seats apear to be original. The bed was sandblasted but not painted. But has no rot. the cab has no rust. The tan paint is flaking off everywhere. Lots of OD underneath. The frame is a chalky black color...no rust. Engine was rebuilt in 86. There was a tow cable with a chain leader in the tool box at the back of the bed. I thought that the previous owner might have put it there but it has a metric hook on it. Must have been part of the basic issue items for Norway. It has european headlights and tires. The additional marker lights on the fenders are also used as turning signals.What a nice truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks