• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did they do to this beauty?

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine was at FT Binning GA as the ground crew for air drops late 70's when a M35A2 shoots failed to open .
The impact left a crater the size of the trk about 2' deep, can say it was a total loss and they got out of way fast.

greenjeepster

I do not understand the selling prices. Are the parts people buying them?
My only thought is that these were 2009s instead of the late 80s early 90s that most appear to be. That might be worth something to somebody? There was a runner also in WV that sold for 1 bid over minimum, so there has got to be something about these two that we are missing. I don't think there is enough there in parts to justify the prices, they have to be putting these back together. I think the parts market is pretty weak on these, there are only around 120 mil hmmwvs in civilian hands until now, They can't export them or the parts....

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My only thought is that these were 2009s instead of the late 80s early 90s that most appear to be. That might be worth something to somebody? There was a runner also in WV that sold for 1 bid over minimum, so there has got to be something about these two that we are missing. I don't think there is enough there in parts to justify the prices, they have to be putting these back together. I think the parts market is pretty weak on these, there are only around 120 mil hmmwvs in civilian hands until now, They can't export them or the parts....

These are are not actual 2009's, that would make it an M1113 or other variant with 6.5turbo, 4L80E trans and 242 tcase.
any of the gov planet trucks dated above 1990's is a truck that had the data plate repopped at some level of maint or overhaul.

KansasBobcat

Not sure how many HMMWVs you indicate are in civilian ownership. I know that approximately 12,000+ H1 were sold. The 1999 auctions. were less than 1000, I think. Add on the few that have been salvaged, assembled, etc say 14,000 is my guess. Not counting fire, police, forestry, etc. I await correction...

greenjeepster

as far as I know there were 120ish sold in 1999 through a Marine corp sale, these are the ones that are road legal today. The current sale is an Army sale... no other military HMMWVs have been released to the public. I think piecing them back together from parts would have been impossible without incorporating civilian H1s into the build.... I have been around military auctions since before GovLiquidation changed the game and there were only small amounts of parts coming out... it would take somebody a lot of auctions and a very long time to get to a complete truck... and I don't think any chassis components were ever sold without being complete demil.

As far as the fire and law enforcement trucks go, those are all on a turn in agreement and can't be sold to the public.

Last edited:

KansasBobcat

Sorry should have given latest reference: Military Vehicle Magazine April 2015 Page 10. "Marine Corps placed 748 HMMWV into storage...200 for New Zealand...50 set aside for collectors...498 to auctioned. Morethan 300 at Atlanta auction...150 in California. This was in 1999. Most were 1986 and 1987 M998s. Maybe my estimate of Less than 1000 is too high...

GoinNutts

Looks like something West Coast customs is building for a rapper or basketball player. Throw some 30" gold spinners and 15 series tires on it and would be "Pimp" in Los Angeles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks