• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

SteveKuhn

Yeah, 2 weeks ago I was fighting with mine. They were adjusted too tight and all from one adjustment when I had the transfer case installed. They're in a bear of a place to work. Luckily mine weren't locked up. Back to proper adjustment for them after the alternator wars.

Steve

swindad2

Had these sandblasted last fall. Finally dug them out, cleaned them up, and painted. These are the last pieces to put back in the interior. My first time using the Rapco 383 spray cans. Turned out pretty nice for a rattle can.
20140601_140551.jpg

Dipstick

I changed the gear oil in my transmission and transfer case using yellow metal friendly Wally Mart GL-5. The oil I drained out of my transfer case looked horrible. It was runny, cloudy, and the color of liquified mud. I guess a previous owner must have driven Brutus through a large body of water. His differentials and a grease job are next.

Dipstick

Today I continued the M35A2 emergency brake adjustment work . In spite of applications of that 50% tranny-acetone mix, the 5/8 adjusting nut for the outboard shoe wont move. I even used a 5/8 flare nut wrench (SNAP-ON) but to no avail. Out with the oxy-acetylene! I heated the nut and the stationary plate into which it threads, nice and red. After cooling period, I succeeded in adjusting clockwise so as to increase the shoe to drum clearance. IN the pictures you can see how I put my jack stands on a 2" thick base plate so that the stands wont sink. In The picture of the emergency brake assembly I am pointing to where the outer shoe adjusting nut is.ts tight work.To be continued...
Whatadeuce,

Your parking brake drum looks pretty oil soaked. Mine was too. The culprit was my transmission output shaft seal. I replaced it and put new universals on the short shaft while I was at it. Now, the underside of my Brutus is dry. My parking brake handle takes all of my strength to engage. I'm not Hulk Hogan. I either need to eat more Wheaties or adjust my parking brake as well. Thanks for the pics.

Dipstick

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Dipstick, And the fluid you see on my brake assembly is all that 50% tranny-acetone mixture I applied to the outer shoe adjustment assembly, which made its way all over, including my arm. Boy that stuff burns!

Dipstick

Hello Dipstick, And the fluid you see on my brake assembly is all that 50% tranny-acetone mixture I applied to the outer shoe adjustment assembly, which made its way all over, including my arm. Boy that stuff burns!
Oh. Now I understand. My entire parking brake mechanism seems to be coated with about an inch of grease buildup. I myself have always had a God given talent for getting grease and oil all over me whenever I work on anything. Especially Brutus.

orrisd4

got my bed off and started removing the scale with a needle scaler , makes quick work of it , got my pintle hitch fixed and greased , ran out of grease before i got to much more , and ordered filters

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished the parking brake adjustments, of which there are three stages. Essentially I followed the TM9-2320-209-20-3-2, chapter Brakes. What I would like to point out here is that one of the fasteners had to be heated in order to adjust it, but more importantly, I had to facilitate a cushion upon which to hoist my torso up close to the work, berceuse both hands were needed. This being the first time, I used a 5 gallon plastic pail, which collapsed flat, the tried a milk cart, but it was to high and hurt like ****, Finally a 20MM ammo box was just the right height. I also thought for next time to use a strap suspended from the fram which would be adjusted across my back. This would save a lot of effort . But I'm glad its done and actually, the assembly was so out of adjustment, I don't know how the truck was rolling at all! I turned on the engine while still suspended and watched how easily all the wheels were spinning. My test drive showed a big improvement too...

SteveKuhn

Which of the fasteners or adjusters had to be heated? And I getcha about the bosun's chair for your back. I always cramp up as soon as I get in the right position to reach stuff.

Steve

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello SteveKuhn, And it is the first of the three adjustment fasteners, the one that adjusts the distance between the outer shoe and drum. There is a 11/16 jam nut on a upward facing stem requiring a deep-socket, then a 5/8 hex bolt that turns into a fixed plate, where advancing this hex bolt clockwise (facing the sky), increases the shoe to drum clearance. Its hard to reach and arm strength cannot be applied, but when the bolt to fixed plate area is heated, it will then adjust with hand strength. To adjust the 11/16 jam nut, I used a 3/8drive 11/16 deep socket with a flex head ratchet to accommodate the tight spacing.

wilfreeman

I don't know if it has been mentioned or not, but if you remove the entire parking brake assy and degrease/clean/repaint everything, you will be able to make the required adjustments much easier. Removing the assy takes no time at all and will also let you see how everything works together to aid in understanding how it works (if you don't already know). This helps me "visualize" its operation anyway. If you are going to the trouble of heating stuff up to get it moving again, go ahead and spend an hour more and put it back in "like new" condition - makes life much easier down the road! Just a thought.

Patruck

This week I finished my crew cab build and now driving it. still need some welding done to complete the metal work, next is paint and tops, then tires and electronics. PHOTOS TO COME SOON...

g2065g

Drove mine for the first time since I bought it! 7months ugg. I finally got everything to where I could drive it and test my mc rebuild. All good for the most part! Bolted my bed down. Ordered some odds n ends.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is more what we did WITH, rather than what we did TO our deuce this evening.....

We fired her up for a quick run to LOWE'S Hardware & Stuff to fetch a new Water Heater. The old one in our home had begun a slow drip into the drip pan and, with the hard water around here, had performed well for twice its warrantee period.

Hope we didn't overload the Deuce with this 98 lbs. burden.....

IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg

Next, we'll have to haul the old one to the dump.

[thumbzup]

:grd::driver:

welldigger

Well I finally started the tear down on my truck. The rust damage on my cab is exactly what I figured it would be. Thankfully it isn't all that bad. Also, grinding off 12 layers of carc and rust is going to be awesome!!!!

uploadfromtaptalk1402874819716.jpguploadfromtaptalk1402874836115.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks