• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

jbayer

It's definitely been an adventure.
I sure didn't do it for the fun of it though, not fun at all. LOL.
What about the light switch connector?
Are you talking about the big one for the 3 lever switch? What do you mean by address it? Is there a problem with it? I've already hooked it up.

20160826_165943.jpg
It's not installed in this picture, but it is. In fact I'm all done in the cab.

Last edited:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello jbayer, I only mentioned this part of the work bdecause of the inaccessabilty of it ( in my experience) . To me, Other than reaching it, its just part of the job...

Kaiser67M715

It's definitely been an adventure.
I sure didn't do it for the fun of it though, not fun at all. LOL.
What about the light switch connector?
Are you talking about the big one for the 3 lever switch? What do you mean by address it? Is there a problem with it? I've already hooked it up.

View attachment 641103
It's not installed in this picture, but it is. In fact I'm all done in the cab.
My harness was ok to install, did it in 40 degree weather, biggest issue I faced was adding a turn signal harness to the NOS gas motor harness, and only the nuts right around the main portion upon entering the fire wall were rusted.

I mean it wasn't fun, but it wasn't bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbayer

Hello jbayer, I only mentioned this part of the work bdecause of the inaccessabilty of it ( in my experience) . To me, Other than reaching it, its just part of the job...
Ok, thanks whatadeuce. Had me worried for minute.
I took the switch out, and hooked up the connecter, then massaged it into place. That would have been a real bear with the switch in place.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove it about 40 miles (inaugural run since I've owned it)

Did pretty well. Held speed, no odd issues.

I did notice that at the end of the run, the electric fuel pump was howling a bit and just sounded 'off'

Looked on Ebay for replacements, doesn't appear to be much out there. Hopefully the original (I'm guessing) holds on for a bit longer.
Onemanarmy, You could drain the tank by the bottom plug and check for rust chunks. The pump can be disassembled and cleaned before it dies. There was a stack of plates ab a screen at the bottom of mine, that formed a small well for the pump to draw from, which had a couple of the nuts (which held the stack and pump together) come off. That stack would rattle and make more noise after use, to the point where the stack fell off and the pump would no longer lift fuel. After cleaning, reassembling, and testing in a bucket of water things went fine. I let it dry and reinstalled.

Also if the pump does go bad there is an inline pump, you can splice into the line outside the tank.

rustystud

I'll pretend its still Sunday, and practice good Christian manners, by not telling you of a certain disreputable individual here in Florida....BUt actually these heads came from a varietyb of different M35 trucks and spare engines I bought, rather than me purchasing them as parts. I do have a reliable source of heads in Gimpyrob. May I take the opportunity to say that all the parts I bought from him are winners.!Do you have a source you can recommend Rustystud?
I was really lucky and was able to buy some NOS Hydraulic-Head units from "Evil Dr. Porkchop" . I also bought 3 complete injector pumps from a fellow member up here. So I don't know who has some NOS units left laying around. I do know that Gimpyrobb (Chris) has a LOT of spare parts laying around and anything you buy from him will be OK.

Another Ahab

Onemanarmy, You could drain the tank by the bottom plug and check for rust chunks. The pump can be disassembled and cleaned before it dies. There was a stack of plates ab a screen at the bottom of mine, that formed a small well for the pump to draw from, which had a couple of the nuts (which held the stack and pump together) come off. That stack would rattle and make more noise after use, to the point where the stack fell off and the pump would no longer lift fuel. After cleaning, reassembling, and testing in a bucket of water things went fine. I let it dry and reinstalled.

Also if the pump does go bad there is an inline pump, you can splice into the line outside the tank.
But is the prime a problem ever with that in-line pump; I guess only if you run the tank empty, that right?

Last edited:

rustystud

But is the prime a problem ever with that in-line pump; I guess only if you run the tank empty, that right?
That pump will only have problems if it is worn out. Then it can loose prime "if" the in-tank pump is bad. What I mean is the truck can usually still run with a bad in-tank fuel pump if the lines are good (no air leaks) . The injection pump fuel pump takes up the slack. When it finally goes out then you will loose prime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks