• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

DavidWymore

I was sitting at an intersection once and a Lexus SUV corkscrewed through the air like old 70s car chase movies right in front of me. A Mercedes had pulled out in front of him and his passenger side ramped right up it. Lexus took it like a champ and spun round like a top on it's roof. A deuce would not I'm sure.

People scream about the dangers of deuces going fast and not stopping. Empty they will stop in a hurry if brakes are properly and evenly adjusted (if not they get squirrely). Even pulling a 10k trailer mine stops OK for what it is.

I'm in the desert with straight flat freeways and worry about going too slow and getting rear ended by something smaller and getting their brains on my pintle or something larger and getting knocked into the afterlife as happened to a member here.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Until a person has seen a corner-to-corner collision, in which a front tire of a vehicle approaching from the rear, makes direct contact with the front vehicle's rear tire, it's really hard to comprehend just how little road speed and momentum is required to "POP" the rear/oncoming vehicle right over onto it's side/top (as would be the case if a little car pulled out in front of one of us, and our deuce front tire rode up over the back of one of their rear tires) two grippy rubber surfaces, making solid contact while traveling in different directions, and "Pop" there she goes.
https://youtu.be/0sbNBZvSx_A

Last edited:

KD8NGV

Took the Duece to a HMV Show

I found out about a Historical Military Vehicle Show in Findlay, Ohio a few months ago. I have never been to one so I figured I would give it a shot. So, yesterday my dad followed me and I drove my Deuce up to the show. It's about a 90 minute drive, mostly on 23 N. What a beautiful trip! She ran like a top all the way up. I had a smile on my face the whole way up.

Here are some pictures: (Mine is the sand painted one)
WP_20180517_20_25_28_Pro.jpgWP_20180517_20_25_54_Pro.jpgWP_20180517_20_25_41_Pro.jpgWP_20180517_20_16_11_Pro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Today I took the top plate off my Deuce as I am going to replace the data plates on it.

PIC_0897.jpgPIC_0896.jpg

The bolts came out more easily than I thought they would.

The only thing I am thinking now is,.... the rivets that are on the top plate now have rounded heads and I want the same look when I put new rivets in,....

Are they a specific type of rivet I need?

Aussie.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Interesting twist,...

When I took a close look at the back of the top plate I see the what I thought were rivets have a thread!

PIC_0900.jpgPIC_0899.jpgPIC_0898.jpg

So if they twist into the plate then I should be able to drive them back out,....?

So I took my small hammer and gave one a technical tap on its end and it moved!

PIC_0904.jpgPIC_0903.jpg

So in turn I gave them all a solid um,... technical tap.

PIC_0901.jpgPIC_0902.jpg

As you can see they are now flush,....

So I then used a nail as a center punch to knock then all the way out.

PIC_0905.jpgPIC_0906.jpg

The top plate after the data plates removed,...

PIC_0907.jpg

Tomorrow I'll see about installing the new data plates.

Aussie.

rustystud

G'day everyone,....

Interesting twist,...

When I took a close look at the back of the top plate I see the what I thought were rivets have a thread!

View attachment 729506View attachment 729507View attachment 729508

So if they twist into the plate then I should be able to drive them back out,....?

So I took my small hammer and gave one a technical tap on its end and it moved!

View attachment 729511View attachment 729512

So in turn I gave them all a solid um,... technical tap.

View attachment 729509View attachment 729510

As you can see they are now flush,....

So I then used a nail as a center punch to knock then all the way out.

View attachment 729513View attachment 729514

The top plate after the data plates removed,...

View attachment 729515

Tomorrow I'll see about installing the new data plates.

Aussie.
Those are OEM "Blind Hole Drive Screw Rivets". The engine block, transmission housing, and differentials will all have them holding the data plates. Also you will find them on intake manifolds holding the oil splash guards on and you will find them all over the place if you look ! When it comes time to remove them for whatever reason, take a pair of "vise-grips" and turn them out. Then after you clean or whatever your doing, you can reinstall them by hammering them back in.

View attachment Scan0271.pdf

I though I would add this description of the rivets.

Last edited:

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Those are OEM "blind hole self-locking rivets". The engine block, transmission housing, and differentials will all have them holding the data plates. Also you will find them on intake manifolds holding the oil splash guards on and you will find them all over the place if you look ! When it comes time to remove them for whatever reason, take a pair of "vise-grips" and turn them out. Then after you clean or whatever your doing, you can reinstall them by hammering them back in.

Well I can see how you can remove them if you can get behind them to give them a 'tap' to drive them out,....

But if they are flush into a solid face you cant get behind,...?

I did use 'vise-grips' on a couple but that was once they had already been backed out till flush with the surface of the backing plate.

That gave me enough surface area to be able to grip them with, but if its flush,... you can't get a 'grip' on the head with the edge of the 'vise-grips'

But it is good that these self locking rivets can be re-used.

Any idea where I can get new ones,....?

Aussie.

rustystud

G'day everyone,.....

Well I can see how you can remove them if you can get behind them to give them a 'tap' to drive them out,....

But if they are flush into a solid face you cant get behind,...?

I did use 'vise-grips' on a couple but that was once they had already been backed out till flush with the surface of the backing plate.

That gave me enough surface area to be able to grip them with, but if its flush,... you can't get a 'grip' on the head with the edge of the 'vise-grips'

But it is good that these self locking rivets can be re-used.

Any idea where I can get new ones,....?

Aussie.

I know "Fastenal" carries them.

tobyS

I bought the steel frame reinforcement for my M35A3 4x4 project and located the spare tire carrier angle iron that can support the roll over protection (ROP). I bought 1/4" flat plate formed into an 11"x3"x10' L that will lap to the side of the frame just behind the cab and extend back 10' with the bottom 3" below the original frame. That allows the M105 suspension mounts to be in the proper height and a huge amount of strength from the rear suspension to the ROP/spare tire carrier.

I dug out angle iron for the spare tire holder that will also be the ROP bottom frame. It's 3.5"x 5"x 1/2" thick, so will be strong enough to support the truck. It needs that strength to have a rear winch and take the weight of the truck in case of a roll over. Also, it will protect my soft top (trying to buy a new one). The combined spare tire holder and ROP will have 16" inside for the spare 395 and be about 24" wide total. It will have a 7k hyd. winch above the spare and a canopy (diamond plate) that extends to cover all of the cab top.

Will post some pics when I get further along.

Right now the raw steel is getting red primer and Rustoleum (oil base) flat black so I don't have mating surfaces with bare metal.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok... Well I am currently deployed and used my down time today (a whole lot of it today) to read this entire thread from start to finish (all 787 pages). I want to thank every one of you who not only killed 8 hours of my day but also gave me at least 5 different ways to do every upgrade to my M35A2C I want to do. I now have a list, notes, and photos on how to do just about everything I want to do (it’s going to take years).

winfred

drove it to work today, fed it 5 gallons of new waste oil from under the dispenser taps at the dealer (spillage), a mix of 5/30 and 0/20 that i ran though a highly complex filtration rig after i fished the rubber gloves and pig mats out of it, topped that off with 25-30 gallons of diesel on the way to go eat beer and drink shrimp and it outta be happily lubricated, probably had 5-10% new atf from same source already in tank
IMG_5905.jpgIMG_5922.jpg
and while im here a shot of the airhorns

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went on a 65 mile long drive, country roads and gravel roads, up and down through the woods. Absolutely nothing happened or went wrong. Just an enjoyable Sunday evening drive. :)
Deuce got up to temp and through all gears and well exercised.
IP is wet. I suspect HH O-rings are in my future.

Crazyguyla

Ok... Well I am currently deployed and used my down time today (a whole lot of it today) to read this entire thread from start to finish (all 787 pages). I want to thank every one of you who not only killed 8 hours of my day but also gave me at least 5 different ways to do every upgrade to my M35A2C I want to do. I now have a list, notes, and photos on how to do just about everything I want to do (it’s going to take years).
If your deployed area has a junkyard/canabilization point, you should spend some off time collecting parts. I spent many hours in Iraq collecting stuff. Should have taken some tires and a cab.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your deployed area has a junkyard/canabilization point, you should spend some off time collecting parts. I spent many hours in Iraq collecting stuff. Should have taken some tires and a cab.
I agree with that, I did two tours in the sand box. Unfortunately my present location has no such yards, however the HN does have an old M35 rolling around camp I have been dying to actually get inside of. I have a funny feeling she’s so old she might be an old REO.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am cleaning out my yard and there might be tires /cab or whatever. All the junk is in Newberry so send me a pm with you phone number.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks