• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to Kublo's Surplus in Brackney, PA and gawked at Oshkoshes and hordes of other trucks grazing in the field. They were whispering "Pick me! Pick me!". What a nice bunch of people there. I made off with a driver's door and some assorted small stuff. Didn't have a pocket large enough to stuff that M915 with the super singles into that poses over the entrance.

IMG_20180921_133106.jpg
Just a small glimpse

Last edited:

tobyS

I've struggled with one before, different model. I think I put a couple of long bolts in, with jam nuts, to get some leverage.

rustystud

What I have done before is stick the pointy end of a log pry bar into the axle flange hole and pry it up that way. Sometimes those axle shafts can be a real pain in the butt to install. At other times the same axle will slide right in with no trouble at all !
That's why most mechanics think of vehicles as being feminine and have women's names for them. After all what other creature on GOD's green earth can be so "contrary" at times !

Kaiser67M715

What I do, is when the shafts is in like that,, push down on the end, this lifts the splined part, then I push and slowly lower, it should drop in and you can rotate to make the splines line up. Never had a problem doing it that way...
I have pulled the axle of the rear intermediate axle, but now the shaft wont slide back into the differential. What am I missing?
Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all for the advice. I used 4 1/2 X 5 1/2" gr. 8 bolts to alighn the shaft. Then I ratcheted them all and with some turning it popped in. I was surprized to experience such resistance. Made my own gasket and used new Gr. 8 lock wachers. Painted itr too

Attachments

rustystud

Thank you all for the advice. I used 4 1/2 X 5 1/2" gr. 8 bolts to alighn the shaft. Then I ratcheted them all and with some turning it popped in. I was surprized to experience such resistance. Made my own gasket and used new Gr. 8 lock wachers. Painted itr too
Wait a minute. You didn't tighten the shaft in with bolts did you ? It has to "slide" into the splines of the side gear. If you "forced" it in you could have damaged the shaft and gear !

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Rusti...No I didnt force anything. I used the four long bolts to alighn the shaft approxamately center to the female part to whichn it is to fit. Once the shaft end was up against the gear opening. I applied small pressuire with the bolts and turned the shaft , and all of a sudden the shaft entered the gear. It was like a pop with unexpected resistance. Once that happened, I removed the aligning bolts and , with hand pressue, slid the shaft home. I am sure glad it worked because I was worried about it. I dont like to worry.......

Attachments

TGP (IL)

Kudos to you, on a job well done.
I didn't think anyone used a speed handle wrench anymore with all the cordless impacts around.
Thought I was the only dinosaur that had any left!
Tom

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
......... used the four long bolts to alighn the shaft approxamately center to the female part to whichn it is to fit. Once the shaft end was up against the gear opening. I applied small pressuire with the bolts and turned the shaft , and all of a sudden the shaft entered the gear. It was like a pop with unexpected resistance.................
Certainly NOT the correct way to do it!
Next time use two of those same long bolts but just to extend the total (shaft)length - for better leverage, as was explained in post #8084.

TGP (IL)

Good Day today.
Removed intank pump, put vane plates and end cap back on and secured.
Checked tank and screen, changed fuel filters, and engine oil for winter.
Tom

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I took the M35A2C to my friend Jason to flip my hubs and pun on my new wheels. I ordered super singles meant for MRAP trucks that never got issued, I also got steel rims. I got these from a company in Avery, TX http://www.aaa1surplus.com/ . I got the adapter plates and hardware from Canadian Rockwell for cheaper with shipping then I found anywhere in the states.

Now Jason https://www.facebook.com/jsmotorsandfabllc/ is the one who started my build but left Military trucks.com to make his own shop, I wish he would have built my truck all the way through but more on that in another post.
123_1_03.jpg123_1.jpg123_1_01.jpg123_1_02.jpg
He did a great job of flipping the hubs and packing in grease and servicing my hubs and seals while he was at it, Jason is a very detailed guy.
image000000.jpgimage000000_2.jpg
Then he put them all together and painted them and rust proofed the rims and plates.
IMG_20180927_190339.jpg2018092695175359_2.jpg2018092695175416_2.jpg

I have to say that after it was all said and done from the little companies and one big one I went to, grand total for rims, tires, hardware and labor to flip the hubs was about $3500! A great price fr improved fuel economy and a great new look!r​

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Jay

So I took the M35A2C to my friend Jason to flip my hubs and pun on my new wheels. I ordered super singles meant for MRAP trucks that never got issued, I also got steel rims. I got these from a company in Avery, TX http://www.aaa1surplus.com/ . I got the adapter plates and hardware from Canadian Rockwell for cheaper with shipping then I found anywhere in the states.

Now Jason https://www.facebook.com/jsmotorsandfabllc/ is the one who started my build but left Military trucks.com to make his own shop, I wish he would have built my truck all the way through but more on that in another post.
View attachment 743184View attachment 743181View attachment 743182View attachment 743183
He did a great job of flipping the hubs and packing in grease and servicing my hubs and seals while he was at it, Jason is a very detailed guy.
View attachment 743185View attachment 743186
Then he put them all together and painted them and rust proofed the rims and plates.
View attachment 743189View attachment 743187View attachment 743188

I have to say that after it was all said and done from the little companies and one big one I went to, grand total for rims, tires, hardware and labor to flip the hubs was about $3500! A great price fr improved fuel economy and a great new look!r​
I am glad you are happy with the super singles. (It was a good thing that the hub flip was done. The rear axle seals had been previously replaced by a VFD, and the outer seals were leaking oil into the hubs)
Be sure to check the lug nut torque in 50 more miles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am glad you are happy with the super singles. (It was a good thing that the hub flip was done. The rear axle seals had been previously replaced by a VFD, and the outer seals were leaking oil into the hubs)
Be sure to check the lug nut torque in 50 more miles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thx Jason! Will do the 50mi inspection sir. Guys this man right here does some of the best work I've seen (he has even fixed some work that larger companies have done incorrect).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks