• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20190927_145057.jpg
IMG_20190927_145046.jpg

Well I loaded my Deuce onto a trailer for the trip out to AZ, stepped on my brakes so hard the brake light sensor exploded.
I got it plugged and now I have brakes until I can properly replace it in AZ.

IMG_20190927_170804.jpg
All loaded up and ready to go!

Big Z

Recently did a sprag to air-shift swap, added coolant filter & remote brake fluid reservoir. Changed another bad flasher with an old-style spare I had but also ordered parts to make a Clinto civvy flasher box. New tube and flap for a steer tire (kicked myself for not putting a new flap in the last time I had it apart). Fresh antifreeze...got SCA/DCA & some coolant test strips to get the right dose in soon. Put 50 miles on today to visit the dump & fuel up.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
stepped on my brakes so hard the brake light sensor exploded.
I got it plugged and now I have brakes until I can properly replace it in AZ.
This is THE failure mode for the hydraulic brake light switch. Leave it plugged on the hydraulic side and replace with an air pressure operated brake light switch, similar to the upgrade the military did. Less failure-prone, safer and easy to change if need be without having to bleed the brakes!

Your truck looks sharp. Love the super singles and the paint job.

rustystud

Recently did a sprag to air-shift swap, added coolant filter & remote brake fluid reservoir. Changed another bad flasher with an old-style spare I had but also ordered parts to make a Clinto civvy flasher box. New tube and flap for a steer tire (kicked myself for not putting a new flap in the last time I had it apart). Fresh antifreeze...got SCA/DCA & some coolant test strips to get the right dose in soon. Put 50 miles on today to visit the dump & fuel up.
Yep. You need to replace the inner tube and flap (or boot) on every tire change. Of course if it's only been a few thousand miles you can reuse the inner tube. Most people are unaware of how much heat is generated in a tube style tire. That is one of the several reasons manufacture's went away from tube tires. Besides the extra cost and the safety reasons, ( most truck tires with tubes where split ring style) heat was a major concern.
This extra heat breakdowns the rubber and when the tube is used in several different tires it becomes thinner and eventually ruptures. You don't want to be on the road when it ruptures. What a major pain !
Also the inner tube takes a "set" with the original tire. Meaning it conforms to the inner diameter of the tire with all it's little ridges and imperfections. These create problems when used in a different tire. The flaps (or boots) also do this too.
I know it is a major expense each time to not only replace the tire, but the inner tube which can cost over $60.00 each and the flap (or boot) which can cost upwards of $30.00 or more.
I just bought a set of tubes and flaps for my deuce. So I know how much this all costs. The inner tubes cost me $60.00 each and the flaps I found for $26.00 .
I'm switching to 11.00X20 tires on my deuce. I had 6 NOS 5 ton tires and bought 6 more from a place back east. They should be here in a few weeks. I had them shipped by the cheapest route possible which still cost $300.00 .
Maybe later I will convert to Radial tires if I find some reasonable priced rims, but till then the old Biased Ply with tubes still work for me.

rustystud

Took Queen Lola for an after-work spin. Absolutely nothing to report, other than a fun, relaxing drive on rural roads and some gravel in beautiful Fall weather. No hiccups, no fuel starvation. I do have a question though. How hot should power steering fluid get? Mine gets darn hot - you do not want to leave your hand on the metal reservoir. Probably normal. Steering feels good and works well.
Power steering fluid is basically Hydraulic fluid. Most all manufactures recommend staying under 200 degrees F. Anything over that and your breaking down the oil much faster then normal. Try adding a small oil cooler to the return line. They can lower your temperatures by as much as 20 degrees F
I added a transmission cooler to my CUCV's power steering system several years ago. Since the brakes also work off this system I felt it was a safety issue. My power steering and brakes all work great !

Big Z

I know it is a major expense each time to not only replace the tire, but the inner tube which can cost over $60.00 each and the flap (or boot) which can cost upwards of $30.00 or more.
I just bought a set of tubes and flaps for my deuce. So I know how much this all costs. The inner tubes cost me $60.00 each and the flaps I found for $26.00 .
Tubes and flaps I got for $140 shipped on 2 sets. I went with Firestone on the tube. Didn't check before ordering and it was too bad it said "Made in China" when it arrived. I wasn't finding the part numbers from the parts TM except for the NSN lookup sites.

Nomad1

Prices go up and down but I paid under sixy for 2 9.00x20 radial tubes. Also while there are some people who make high quality american products "made in america" doesn't always mean what it should
Tubes and flaps I got for $140 shipped on 2 sets. I went with Firestone on the tube. Didn't check before ordering and it was too bad it said "Made in China" when it arrived. I wasn't finding the part numbers from the parts TM except for the NSN lookup sites.

FloridaAKM

Today will be the pressure washing of one of my Deuces to go to the MVPA meet in Green Cove Springs this coming weekend. Have to remove the green stuff growing on a tan truck, the camo truck grows black algae on it, so go figure that one out. Hopefully there is a good turnout, although the meet historically has been held in Bellview, FL; it will be in Green Cove Springs this year. Hope to see some of you there.

Nomad1

oil change parts.jpgchanged the oil and oil filters toped off the anti freeze from changing the thermostat. Oh and by the way the stock filter don't make hardly any mess when changed right. A tip make sure to clean in and around the filters well before removing.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They had the sled set up for 8800lb pro stock tractors. They were going 280' to 330' I took it just about 260'. Not bad considering the power rating. The tag on the block says 77MM3/stroke fuel rate and 140hp at 2600 rpm. It's a White engine.

Ajax MD

Yes, made in America through importing all parts from China !
I am new to the world of commercial truck tires with tubes. Is it safe to re-use a tube when replacing a worn tire? (Assuming that the tire was simply worn and not damaged in any way.)
I am leery of buying Chinese junk for a high safety item like tires/tubes. Is there a known, good source for tubes?

davidb56

They had the sled set up for 8800lb pro stock tractors. They were going 280' to 330' I took it just about 260'. Not bad considering the power rating. The tag on the block says 77MM3/stroke fuel rate and 140hp at 2600 rpm. It's a White engine.
did you pull in low range? what gear did you start in? did you shift, or just keep the tach pegged at what rpm? Im interested in a local event next year, but have never seen one except on video. thank you. Dave

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3rd gear low range but from what I have seen, my truck is not normal. I have been in a dozen different deuces and this one has more power by a long shot. It always feels like it is on the edge of coming apart. No idea what the rpms were. Didn't even look at the gauges. I just slipped the clutch until it was all the way out then put my foot halfway to the radiator. I have a spare engine that I got with the truck and the guy told me that the spare engine has more nuts than the one in the truck. I can't even imagine that.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the backup camera monitor bracket done, then waiting on paint to dry for my remote reservoir bracket. All brackets were made out of .090” aluminum. My buddy recently got a 3D printer and made me a gauge mount for my steering column to hold my fuel psi gauges.View attachment 776923View attachment 776924View attachment 776925View attachment 776926View attachment 776927View attachment 776928View attachment 776929View attachment 776930
That mount looks awesome!! Are you interested in making another one & did you also make the
remote reservoir or buy it from a vendor??

Nomad1

Putting in new tubes is best. I put radial tubes in mine even though I have biasply tires just don't do it the other way around.I bought mine on Ebay from tswarehouse with TR443 valves. If I remember correctly they weren't made in the usa but not china either. Also put new flaps as well
I am new to the world of commercial truck tires with tubes. Is it safe to re-use a tube when replacing a worn tire? (Assuming that the tire was simply worn and not damaged in any way.)
I am leery of buying Chinese junk for a high safety item like tires/tubes. Is there a known, good source for tubes?

rustystud

Like I mentioned before, you should always replace the inner tube and flap wheN replacing a tire. The inner tube and the flap take a "set" against the tire. Meaning all the little irregularities of the tire get impressed into the tube and flap. So when you go and reinstall it on a different tire it has small flaws that can rupture if and when the tire gets hot. I wouldn't chance it on my truck. Changing a tire, especially alongside the Freeway is a royal pain and dangerous to boot ! So anything to help prevent that from happening is a good thing in my book.
I bought my inner tubes from "Coke Tires" . I'm sure there is plenty of others with better pricing though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks