• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

92ramaro

Some of our adventures from the past month. Wanted to get them posted before I have to leave the desktop behind today šŸ˜…
Summary to follow
I finally was able to procure the factory battery hold down for my truck. While I had the batteries out, I removed the passenger step so I could weld up/fix the rotted panel that is affixed just behind the J-pipe. After another greasing, we hauled 5 dump trailer loads of buried cement out of my yard, spent a week retrieving logs of firewood, and ended up having to use the winch and a snatch block to pull a non-rolling 3800 lb motorhome frame up onto the gooseneck.
The mini excavator has been complimenting the truck quite well for the last month.

Still need king pin bushings pretty bad. If I'm not putting money down on a wedding venue tonight, they're being ordered tomorrow.
Just had to stop in, share the fun, and make sure my account doesn't get "dormant" status.:D

92ramaro

Awesome post 92ramaro! I really enjoyed it! I'm impressed that your Daisy will pull that much weight. I don't think my Brutus could pull a bag of fart gas up a hill.
Thanks Dipstick (y)
If you're not in a hurry, she'll oblige with most anything that fits in the trailer. It certainly helps that I live in a mostly flat state I'd wager. Ever since I did the FDC bypass a few years ago, she's been strong as an OX for the most part. That and the lack of stop signs around home allows for some smooth sailing once we're rolling.
Definitely have to consider stopping distances the whole time however.

Dipstick

Thanks Dipstick (y)
If you're not in a hurry, she'll oblige with most anything that fits in the trailer. It certainly helps that I live in a mostly flat state I'd wager. Ever since I did the FDC bypass a few years ago, she's been strong as an OX for the most part. That and the lack of stop signs around home allows for some smooth sailing once we're rolling.
Definitely have to consider stopping distances the whole time however.
Flat roads and a lack of stop signs. Sounds like a different planet. Hills and stop signs are all we've got up here. So, you did the FDC bypass. Did you turn up the fuel at the same time? Always good to prepare for stops well in advance. The brake shoes on a Deuce are about 1/2 the width of a commercial truck brakes in the same weight class.

Deplorable1

Hardtop install, new tireā€¦5 more to go, re-upholstered seatsā€¦.sanded, painted and insulated inside cabin. Next is trailer hitch installā€¦View attachment 835229View attachment 835230View attachment 835231View attachment 835232
Nice clean looking machine! What type of upholstery did you use? I'm needing to redo mine but not sure what to use. I want it to be resistant to moisture but don't want to be sliding around on it either.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

BHaas35

Nice clean looking machine! What type of upholstery did you use? I'm needing to redo mine but not sure what to use. I want it to be resistant to moisture but don't want to be sliding around on it either.

Thank you. A lot of blood sweat and swears went into this machine to get her looking like this especially removing and mounting a tire by yourself.

I was thinking the same about the seats and did a lot of searching. Decided to go with a high quality marine vinyl that is durable and water resistant:

92ramaro

Flat roads and a lack of stop signs. Sounds like a different planet. Hills and stop signs are all we've got up here. So, you did the FDC bypass. Did you turn up the fuel at the same time? Always good to prepare for stops well in advance. The brake shoes on a Deuce are about 1/2 the width of a commercial truck brakes in the same weight class.
I didn't turn the injection pump up, no. There was enough of a noticeable increase in power after the FDC delete I opted not to change anything for longevity sake.
I usually use the M35 for local heavy hauling, but if I need to cover some longer distances with a load, I hook the pickup to the trailer after the Deuce has walked it out of the muddy woods/fields. Win/win for both trucks really.

Maybe it is the hills, but being bobbed, I would've assumed your truck would move better than one that still had that 3rd axle to power.

92ramaro

Thank you. A lot of blood sweat and swears went into this machine to get her looking like this especially removing and mounting a tire by yourself.
Hell, a lot of blood sweat and tears went into just getting my truck running and back up to a respectable level of reliability.
I cant imagine the work involved to make it look near as good as your example. Well done (y)

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2953_LI.jpg Not exactly the truck. But I did get the tire that went flat on the M105A2 trailer fixed. We had a flat on the trailer while on the way to the MVCC Spring meet in Amador County California. Luckily we had taken some 9.00X20 tires on the rim to sell, so we were able to replace the 11.00X20 tire that went flat. Yesterday I got one of our extra 11.00X20 tires, and had it mounted on a good straight Deuce rim, and we're ready to go for the Memorial Day weekend. Whoops got to clean the tire and paint the rim. Then we're ready to go.

Last edited:

Deplorable1

I was thinking the same about the seats and did a lot of searching. Decided to go with a high quality marine vinyl that is durable and water resistant:
I know what you mean, lots of work. We used an atv lift (picture) on a concrete floor to remove and replace tires similar to yours. Couldn't imagine doing it by myself without one. Yikes.

Thanks for the link, that's what I've been looking for just didn't know it, lol. Was you able to get the job done with 2 or 3 yards of material?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2954.JPG I got the r/h trailer wheel & tire cleaned and painted, and the truck and shelter washed and vacuumed. Now we are ready to spend the Memorial Day holiday at Walker Lake. About a 20 Mile round trip from home. The Lake is usually loaded during the Holiday with Camping Trailers & Motor Homes. We always get some looks when we pull in, and always have some Vets come by to look and tell stories.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking sharp there, Tracer! The one colour green is growing on me since I repainted mine. I was going to camo it, but I am holding off. I like the 383 Green.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking sharp there, Tracer! The one colour green is growing on me since I repainted mine. I was going to camo it, but I am holding off. I like the 383 Green.
I was going to go with the 3 tone camo myself. The problem is, I don't have the self confidence to think I can do it right. šŸ˜–

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was going to go with the 3 tone camo myself. The problem is, I don't have the self confidence to think I can do it right. šŸ˜–
Tracer, what about having the pictures in TB 43-0147 for how to draw out the camo shapes? You could paint the entire truck in 343 and let it dry for a month or so - then come back at it with some chalk to mark out the shapes. Might even be that the first few Black or Tan shapes could be made on paper and taped on the body "for starters".

Believe me, I am definitely NOT a painter!

On the other hand, since somebody else - the military - has already drawn the shapes all you have to do is get that shape onto your truck. The shapes could be cut out on paper (think CNC flatbed cutter in a sign shop. Or the pattern projected onto the truck with a transparency projector (cheap!) like in a schoolroom. OR possibly with an overhead projector connected to a laptop.

If you can't find the Technical Bulletin let me know.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tracer, what about having the pictures in TB 43-0147 for how to draw out the camo shapes? You could paint the entire truck in 343 and let it dry for a month or so - then come back at it with some chalk to mark out the shapes. Might even be that the first few Black or Tan shapes could be made on paper and taped on the body "for starters".

Believe me, I am definitely NOT a painter!

On the other hand, since somebody else - the military - has already drawn the shapes all you have to do is get that shape onto your truck. The shapes could be cut out on paper (think CNC flatbed cutter in a sign shop. Or the pattern projected onto the truck with a transparency projector (cheap!) like in a schoolroom. OR possibly with an overhead projector connected to a laptop.

If you can't find the Technical Bulletin let me know.
It doesn't even take that level of effort. Freehand the black and brown splotches. The overspray you get makes the edges less abrupt and it looks better. It's really difficult to get wrong.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesn't even take that level of effort. Freehand the black and brown splotches. The overspray you get makes the edges less abrupt and it looks better. It's really difficult to get wrong.
When I'm ready, I think I'll do the trailer and shelter first. More flat area, I think it'll be good practice.

Last edited:

BHaas35

I know what you mean, lots of work. We used an atv lift (picture) on a concrete floor to remove and replace tires similar to yours. Couldn't imagine doing it by myself without one. Yikes.

Thanks for the link, that's what I've been looking for just didn't know it, lol. Was you able to get the job done with 2 or 3 yards of material?

I have not had an issue putting the tire on or off yet. I just walk the tire back and forth at an angle until it lines up with the studs and then put the nuts on I raise or lower the bottle jack until they line up perfect. The hard part are those darn hutchens run flat tubes! Getting them out of the old tire and putting into the new is a half days work.

I ordered 5 yards since I knew Iā€™d mess up. I had some help too. Would think 3-4 yards is safe bet.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lola and her new Michelin shoes!
I agree wholeheartedly with @BHaas35 - breaking down the wheels, cleaning and painting, then reassembling everything is a lot of work.

Removing six wheels from the truck and installing the six new ones felt like a holiday in comparison!

The rims are the Canadian two piece rims; I think they are very similar to the A3 rims.

I also adjusted toe-in (with two PVC pipes sliding in each other). I hated how the truck was squirrely all over the road with the previous radials. I know I had not touched the spring seats but I thought I had adjusted toe-in. Alas...not so.

Toe-in was set to exactly 1/4 inch. I turned it to zero. Almost nothing - but, wow, what a difference on the road!

Truck is so much more planted and I ran 55 mph over horrible roads on my test drive where I could barely hold 40 before, with the truck jumping all over the place.

Just installed some MRAP mirrors and did some painting.

Next job...wheel #7 is leaking...get to break that down again and reassemble. Maybe I pinched the O-ring. If it is worth doing, it's worth doing it again....or so I am telling myself.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks