• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

Well...I didn't do any repairs or modifications this week for the first time in months. I met up with two good friends of mine, Ellen and Andy, who took me out for a fantastic Italian lunch to celebrate my 60th birthday. I drove Ellen around in the Deuce and she was great. Most women don't even want to go near it. Ellen, who is only about 5'2", enthusiastic, and fun to be around climbed right in. The bouncy ride and the whistler noise didn't bother her in the least. We were having a full conversation at 50mph! Ellen even wanted to shift the gears for me as I was running down the road. Didn't happen. Safety first. Great company. Terrific food. And driving my Deuce. A perfect birthday celebration.

Dipstick

Ellen is as beautiful as they come. Puts most women 30 years younger to shame. I've never heard her complain about anything and I've known her for twenty years. Too bad for me that she is married to Andy who is an amazingly good guy. We should both be so lucky.

Welder Sam

Took it out for a spin. Visited Ward, austin, cabot. Stopped and saw good friends in various places and swung by home depot too. Entertained a few people that stopped to chat, including arkansas' gl rep. Id call that a great afternoon.

srodocker

there from Seats Inc. its a military seat that I got off of craigslist and what sucks is it doesn't say what psi to run them at. is there a set standard for air rides? I called the company and they were like "uh well we just hook up a little 24v air compressor per seat and let it do it theres no real set psi."

uh?????

Dipstick

She looks happy!!! Must've been a great experience. I drove my Deuce to work the other evening. It was flurrying on the way home at midnight and my new wiper arms and blades were a complete fail. On the plus side, my air was at 65 psig after seven hours of sit time so the low air buzzer never went off when I started. Replacing the copper to my right rear glad hand was a good call. I also cleaned and greased all battery connections.

Heath_h49008

Attempted to install the new parking brake cable and muffler, and had hoped to track and patch the rest of my wiring issues.

What got done?

Wiring insulation is falling apart like dried leaves EVERYWHERE I touch it. I going to be forced into that $250 wiring harness. :???:

The snow and general muck of my work area made crawling under the truck a nightmare. On the bottom, I found the cable was held together with spit and bailing wire and it looks like the lower cable attachment is missing half of whatever it is supposed to be. They had a bolt, two nuts and a stack of washers holding the cable in place.

The muffler will work fine, but I need a walker 41979 before I can attach the top again. So that went to back burner because A: Nobody had one B: I wasn't going to start cutting until I knew I had enough parts to finish the job.

Fixed, cleaned, and lubed the wiper motors.

Master cylinder isn't leaking in the boot, but she's low on fluid... so I have a line or wheel cylinder that needs attention.

Noticed some weeping on the rear axles at the pinions. Might add those to the fix-it list.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed two new Titan 11.00 x 20s up front. Looks like the rubber in the rear will last awhile longer. Picked up 5 gallons of oil for the annual spring change.

Dipstick

Heath we all have days like that. My truck has some of that coated cotton weave stuff to protect the wiring. It was falling apart too. When I cut it off I found that all of the wires underneath were neatly taped (original) and in fine shape. I guess you're meaning the wire insulation itself around the conductors. Yeah, that's not good. I kind of consider the harness to be worth it for what you get and for the peace of mind.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced my two batteries that have been giving me fits for months with two optima red tops. I've had to slave my deuce the last few times I started her because the old batteries wouldn't hold a charge. Now she fires up in seconds. What a difference a couple of fresh batteries make. I capped it off by taking her out to return the old cores to Oreillys, and made a beer run down to the Walmart.

Attachments

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20130310211102.jpgBeen a long couple of weekends.

This weekend saw the cab getting a new roof, a nice insulated vinyl one as the old canvas was toast (as my daughter will attest to after a couple of hundred miles in the rain).
Finished the 12 Volt system. Alternators are working great, 12 volt feeds a marine battery then a feeder cable into the box where an RV control panel links into the system. When parked at home the RV panel charges the battery like it would in an RV. Fitted a 110 transfer switch too, but do not have the generator setup yet.

Temporarily hooked up a car stereo to the panel to see how it works and it does nicely. Fed another 12v feed into the cab under dash for the hidden lighter socket.

Went over every bulb and replaced them all. Now that we have power to the marker lights on box i wanted them all fired up.

Rechecked all the oil and fuel filters to make sure they are all good since changing to the regular ones, all is good.

(Mount in pic for alternator is wrong, was temporary holding it out of wayuntil finished)

2013-03-10 20.17.41.jpg2013-03-10 20.17.55.jpg2013-03-10 20.18.16.jpg2013-03-10 20.18.32.jpg2013-02-10 14.21.19.jpg2013-02-17 20.32.40.jpg

Dipstick

I replaced my two batteries that have been giving me fits for months with two optima red tops. I've had to slave my deuce the last few times I started her because the old batteries wouldn't hold a charge. Now she fires up in seconds. What a difference a couple of fresh batteries make. I capped it off by taking her out to return the old cores to Oreillys, and made a beer run down to the Walmart.
I'd like to know more about your red tops. How did they fit? Cost? I've made one or two beer runs in my Deuce too. Once the beer starts ...I'm parked. Safety and green machine rep first.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two size 34 red tops for the 24v and one other larger battery for the 12v (gp31 maybe?). They fit just fine. I have them blocked in with some wood. I'll have to engineer a hold-down, but I think I might replace the 12v battery first- probably with a yellow top. Cost is higher than average, but you pay for quality. My father sold me on the quality of optima a few months ago. I knew they were good, but after we talked about his optima battery that's been holding on for about 16 years I figured I can't go wrong.

Amen on the beer run brother. My beer runs are only for the initial suppy, never for more. I believe in proper planning when it comes to having enough on hand.:-D I haven't even driven after one in the last 12 years or so. If something bad ever happens I wouldn't want my judgement to be questioned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks