• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

maxspeed3

Finally got the transmission bolted back up to the truck after the clutch install. Shes been sitting for too long, a couple of months now, haven't had the time to get down and work on her very much with work... But today I'm hoping to adjust the clutch, since there is alot of free play in the pedal... I looked at the TMs and there a little vague on how to adjust the clutch...Has anybody done one recently with photos or videos to show how its done? Just looking for some tips so this new one doesn't burn out, because its a pain in the A** to replace one...

Thanks!

A few days ago I got curious so I cut a clear soda bottle in half, turned on the master power and cracked open the draincocks on my fuel filters. Barely a trickle. OH NO!
Yesterday I dropped the fuel filter cups, poured what was in them in a gas can and took out the cartriges. The primary cup had about 5/8" and the secondary cup had about 1/2" of something resembling clay caked in the bottom and clogging the draincocks. I dug the sludge out with a stick, then washed the cups out with some old gasoline and poured it in the gas can, then strained what was in the gas can through a strainer bag back into the fuel tank, but I gotta get new filter cartriges. The strainer bag has more of that silty clay stuff. I guess it's time to drop the fuel tank and clean it out.
aua
On the bright side, K&N's headquarters is not too far away in Riverside Ca. I think I just might have to go have a talk with them!
[thumbzup]

AceHigh

Put some biocide in the tank when you get it cleaned out. You have algae. I had it in my CUCV and not only did it pool in the fuel tank it clogged up the lines and pump with the red clay. I put a pic of it up here somewhere, I will see if I can find it.

Found them. One is a pop bottle with the stuff out of the lines, other is a 5 gal pail with lots of algae.

Attachments

Last edited:
Put some biocide in the tank when you get it cleaned out. You have algae. I had it in my CUCV and not only did it pool in the fuel tank it clogged up the lines and pump with the red clay. I put a pic of it up here somewhere, I will see if I can find it.

Found them. One is a pop bottle with the stuff out of the lines, other is a 5 gal pail with lots of algae.
That explains a lot AceHigh, Thanks. The previous owner used nothing but pump diesel in the truck. Can algae grow in WMO too?

caliber1

Stretched a chain out trying to pull the John Deere out of a spot that was a little wetter than it looked with it. The deuce didn't even grunt, just snapped a 3/8 inch chain. :evil: Will get some pics tonight. Thinkin the winch on the Super Duty will work better. Chain broke in two places, luckily the box blade caught it.

Last edited:

rronning84

Got it painted flat black today. I will sit on this for a while and see how I like it. Also have a lot done inside including lighting but that will be posted tomorrow.

Attachments

RECONJON

I purchased a hard top, very excited about that. Its got a bit of a ride till it gets here and I hope to be ready when it does.

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

Stretched a chain out trying to pull the John Deere out of a spot that was a little wetter than it looked with it. The deuce didn't even grunt, just snapped a 3/8 inch chain. :evil: Will get some pics tonight. Thinkin the winch on the Super Duty will work better. Chain broke in two places, luckily the box blade caught it.
We're gonna need some pics.....

caliber1

We're gonna need some pics.....
How did I know that was coming. rofl033.jpg

034.jpg

And of course, the rear tires on the Deere are full of liquid. :roll:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed Air Compressor

When I picked up this truck in Fla this time last year the original air compressor had a small leak. HDexpert shipped me a NOS unit for R & R.

I had a major problem removing the pulley. I soaked the shaft overnight, used a 3 claw puller and broke the puller at the joint. I was so fed up I cut the pulley off the compressor with a Saw Zall. I even drilled it, This was one stubborn shaft.

AC/Cages recommended heat and that did the trick. Popped right out. [thumbzup]

Attachments

Blueduce

I found out that "The Gunny" R. Lee Ermey was in town today. He was at the GT Distributors Glocktober fest signing autographs. Well, you know I couldn't miss it but what to have him sign. After some thought I decided to have him sigh what every other MV owner would want him to sign. You guessed it. I had him sign my Deuce.

Eat your heart out fellas.:lol:

Attachments

Last edited:

KaiserM109

I got the blinkin' beast running right!!

When I got it (June, 2007) I didn't know it, but it had a dead in-tank pump. Things were pretty good, for a non-turbo, but when I ran it out of fuel and got air into the lines my troubles started. Without a good tank pump, the IP boost pump just couldn’t quite do it. I was out of work and couldn’t see my way to $200 for the correct replacement, so I bought a Carter suck and blow pump and mounted it on the frame rail above the tank. That was able to purge the air.

Still, it didn’t run the way I remember the ones in the Army running (turbo vs non-turbo, sea level vs 5280 ft. ?). In the Army I wasn’t the one performing maintenance on the deuce (an M109) in our section, so I don’t know if it was a turbo or not. I do know it was fast enough to get a speeding ticket on a lonely jungle road between Dong Tam and My Tho, though.

I bypassed the fuel density compensator and in trying to adjust it as per the instructions, the bolt on the front of the FDC broke. Got it welded back together, but couldn’t find the sweet spot. In working on it, I made the NO-NO of re-using a cotter pin. It broke and turned a piece loose in the governor, resulting in several hours of filing and tapping. Got it back together and couldn’t make heads-or-tails out of the instructions for adjusting the FDC and the Governor, but is all the messing around I figured out that the shaft between the throttle linkage and the governor was sticky. More cleaning, etc. and messing with adjustments.

When we exhausted all that, it still ran like it was fuel starved, so I finally broke down and bought a genuine replacement pump from Olympic Controls Corp. It doesn’t exactly run like a striped a$%ed ape, but I think it is as good as poor thin air breather will get.

My advice: DON’T BUY ANY PUMP BUT THE REAL THING! I just wasted my $75.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks