• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
ride

speedometer is not functional.
tachometer never went over 2150 indicated.
Name:
Northbound
Date:
Jan 4, 2013 9:19 am
Map:
(valid until Jul 3, 2013)
View on Map
Distance:
39.9 miles
Elapsed Time:
1:16:15
Avg Speed:
31.4 mph
Max Speed:
48.8 mph
Avg Pace:
1' 54" per mile
Min Altitude:
0 ft
Max Altitude:
70 ft
Start Time:
2013-01-04T14:19:50Z
Start Location:
Latitude:
26º 11' 03" N
Longitude:
80º 08' 49" W
End Location:
Latitude:
26º 40' 51" N
Longitude:
80º 09' 29" W

Last edited:

Seth_O

Finished the rebuild on my HF54. I replaced all the soft components internally - huge thanks to Gringeltaube, without whom I literally would not have been able to do it. I was hesitant to get into it, but it turned out to be a good thing. I found several very worn/useless seals inside, and one that was torn in half. The rebuild was really not that difficult, I was surprised at how simple it was - done in one evening. I was grateful to find all the hard components in good shape. However, if you find that your torx screws are really stuck (like mine) and you have to drill them out (like I did) and then can't find any anywhere near you (like I couldn't) shoot me a PM. Turns out they are $1/ea from SnapOn, or $5 for a box of 10 from McMaster Carr. I have some extra's.

91W350

I was dumping some engine containers we bought at Riley and one of them had a freshly rebuilt 3053A transmission in it, sweet deal! New seals, new zerks, all sealed in plastic, my 71 has been needing a transmission for a year, maybe I will find time to do the swap soon.....

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took her out for nice 20 mile ride to blow the cob webs out. Got lots of goodies to install in the near future. Solargizer,convoy lights,electric wiper upgrade to name a few. I will post up some pics when complete.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Added an antenna mount and antenna this week.
IMG_1088.jpgIMG_1090.jpg

Some past work includes extra storage on the right fender. My wife contributed with the custom cover made from a shelter half.
IMG_0465.jpgIMG_0916.jpgIMG_0917.jpg

Also added the extra lights attached to the grille brush guard. I might add a separate switch in the future, but for now I just tapped in to the headlights with a Y type packard connection.
IMG_0933.jpg

maxspeed3

Haven't done much lately with winter and all. However I did go and start her up today to run and charge the batteries. Shes been sitting for a month now and its been pretty cold here in Minnesota. She turned right over on the second try. No starting fluid. Just cranked for 4 or so seconds and fired right up! Good Girl!

I thought being a diesel and cold it would have fought a bit more.... guess not!

Im going to start the troop seat restoration within the next few weeks. I plan to make a thread about the process and include an AutoCAD file and pdf of all of the measurements of the wood, hardware etc. Basically a set of drawings to "rebuild" the troop seats from scratch..

More details and photos of this project to come!

Dipstick

I replaced the entire heater/defroster system in my Deuce. Everything down to the resistor, circuit breaker, and fan switch. No more leaking anti-freeze and the controls work very smoothly. I have a new turn signal flasher on order. My next task is to re-plumb the bungled/kinked/leaking copper air lines going to my glad hands. Then, I want to do the spin on oil filter conversion.

welldigger

I replaced the entire heater/defroster system in my Deuce. Everything down to the resistor, circuit breaker, and fan switch. No more leaking anti-freeze and the controls work very smoothly. I have a new turn signal flasher on order. My next task is to re-plumb the bungled/kinked/leaking copper air lines going to my glad hands. Then, I want to do the spin on oil filter conversion.
When you replace those copper lines use the flexible plastic air brake line or pex. Way easier to deal with and cheaper. Also durable. Your gonna love the spin ons when you get them. Special thanks to jatonka for making those available. Best mod I have done to my deuce.

Dipstick

When you replace those copper lines use the flexible plastic air brake line or pex. Way easier to deal with and cheaper. Also durable. Your gonna love the spin ons when you get them. Special thanks to jatonka for making those available. Best mod I have done to my deuce.
My friend the digger. I will definitely look into the plastic lines. My son always kids me about how old school I am. "Dad...nobody uses tubing benders and flaring tools anymore except you"! However, when he gets into a mechanical jamb...I'm the first guy he looks for.

Yeah, I really want to do the spin ons. I think my LDT has straight 30w in it. Shortly after I press the start button he pegs my 0-60 oil pressure gauge at 60. Thinking of Shell Rotella 15w-40. Your thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. Hope you are well.

Dipstick

Ace...I know exactly what you mean. Some days it's one step forward and two steps back. Still, there's no place I'd rather be than in the parking lot working on my Deuce. It's a **** shame I have to work for a living. Otherwise, I'd be out there 24/7/365.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 71 Deuce with a Continental engine in it and its been darn cold in MN, it had not been started in a couple months and I had the same experience as you, it fired right up, I was also a little surprised, good batteries make a world of difference!
KK

welldigger

My friend the digger. I will definitely look into the plastic lines. My son always kids me about how old school I am. "Dad...nobody uses tubing benders and flaring tools anymore except you"! However, when he gets into a mechanical jamb...I'm the first guy he looks for.

Yeah, I really want to do the spin ons. I think my LDT has straight 30w in it. Shortly after I press the start button he pegs my 0-60 oil pressure gauge at 60. Thinking of Shell Rotella 15w-40. Your thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. Hope you are well.
I have been quite well, thank you sir. I hope the same goes for you. Also glad to see you got the new heater installed. Not the time of year to have no heat....and I'm from the south!

Also the a3 bobber is finally making some good progress. Once we get the air ride finished up I will begin that thread.
As to your oil I wouldn't be too concerned with the oil pressure. My truck starts at 60 and levels out to around 30 once warm. I also have a 0-90 gauge in my truck. I have always been a fan of multi grade oil. It gives you a nice wide temperature range to operate in. Shell Rotella is my brand of choice though Mobil and Chevron Delo are also good choices. I run the 15w 40 weight in all of my diesels from my deuce to my 1tons and from my trackhoe to my 185cfm air compressor. My drilling rig is a gasser so it gets Pennzoil 5w 30.

I have no experience running strait weight oil in anything other than a small shop compressor so I don't know the benefits or drawbacks of running it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

welldigger

How long can the DOT air line be expected to last? I'd consider replacing all the copper in my current project (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?92822-Copper-lines-and-painting&highlight=copper) with the air line, but I wonder how long before it gets brittle...........
I'm glad you asked Clinto. The a3 me and another member are bobbing was entirely done in plastic air line. Judging on the number of coats of paint id say the air line is original. So say 20 or so years old. Here's the kicker, we aren't replacing any of it! We are simply shortening the air lines to the glad hands. Its still very flexible and we have bent it in circles with no cracking. The only lines we are removing is for the ctis. And this is because we are removing that as far as possible short of swapping axles. In fact the entire system will soon be available in the classifieds fully functional. Mark just didn't want it on his truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks