• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Danger Ranger

This would be my 4th deuce I've gone through with a fine tooth comb. The light bar came on it as this deuce was in service at montgomery air force base. Here are my other three.
Ok Fuzzy, so then do you keep them for fun/work/whatever, or do you sell them? Yup, I am asking too many stupid questions again, I don't know anything about what you do I guess. They look great.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't mind the questions. I do them for fun mostly. The satisfaction of painting and creating is more thrilling for me than for most. I don't usually sell them but people do tend to walk up with money at times and a deuce goes to a new home. I consider it one MV saved from the scrapper. [thumbzup]

Danger Ranger

I don't mind the questions. I do them for fun mostly. The satisfaction of painting and creating is more thrilling for me than for most. I don't usually sell them but people do tend to walk up with money at times and a deuce goes to a new home. I consider it one MV saved from the scrapper. [thumbzup]
Thats great. Im just curious I suppose...

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Florida Antique tag for the M35A2C showed up on Saturday - Yeepee!. At the Southern Outpost Rally in Belleview FL This weekend I bought a new set of duce windshield frames/glass (pricey), a replacement left front fender (straight), a missing part for my drivers side mirror, a set of (10) G177 Goodyear tires and a couple lug nuts.

Last edited:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:cry: WEll today I inspected the my M35A2 engine for evidence of oil leaks, as I had to add 4 quarts only after running for about 250 miles. No leaks George from WHITE OWL said while in nuetral to rev the engine to 2000 PRM and look for smoke, didnt see any. Where is the oil going?

Dipstick

:cry: WEll today I inspected the my M35A2 engine for evidence of oil leaks, as I had to add 4 quarts only after running for about 250 miles. No leaks George from WHITE OWL said while in nuetral to rev the engine to 2000 PRM and look for smoke, didnt see any. Where is the oil going?
I found this on a web search concerning oil consumption. Most diesels consume a bit of oil. Sometimes the amount is so small that no visible smoke will be seen. http://www.smartsynthetics.com/motor_oil_consumption.htm

DieselBob

A gallon in 250 miles should make some smoke I would think. Have you checked your coolant ?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You dipstick for that article, and I see blowby sludge evident from a pipe leaving the top of my engine and going nowhere. I will check the TM'S to see if i am missing a part.
And thank you DEISELBOB, I did notice my rad fluid full to the vey top, so I will grain some of the fluid out and inspect it for oil

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DIPSTICK, I read further in the article you gave me about engine logging, and the mis use of overdrive. I do run my engine at 1200 to 1500 rpms with regularity. Now I will drive at around 2200 RPMS and see if the oil consumption decreases

Dipstick

DIPSTICK, I read further in the article you gave me about engine logging, and the mis use of overdrive. I do run my engine at 1200 to 1500 rpms with regularity. Now I will drive at around 2200 RPMS and see if the oil consumption decreases
Don't mention it. The Deuce operator manual calls for 1500 to 2200 if your loaded. Being that Deuces are heavy and only have five gears...I do all my driving in that 1500-2200 band. You're really working/lugging that 134 horses under 1500. I concur with the coolant check. Hopefully your oil consumption will be less. Another note....I just changed over from straight 30w to Shell Rotella 15w-40. I'll be watching my oil consumption as well. Good luck!

Dipstick

A few more thoughts. If your turbo's seal was leaking a bit of oil on the compressor side it would be going directly to the combustion chambers. A diesel will easily burn that oil of course. That's a frequent cause of run away engines. There's always valve guide seals too. If you had a holed piston you'd be pumping oil out the stack and losing power to boot. You'd also be pressurizing the crankcase. Bad rings could do that too. A compression check might shed some light on that. The most common problem with coolant is exhaust coming out of it. Cracked cylinder head or leaking head gasket are usually the culprits. Pardon me. My ex-Navy diesel mechanic brain is going into overdrive.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you DIPSTICK. Navy, eh? No wonder you love your machine and how it works! I am a steam boilder installer, pipefitter, refrigeraytion tech among other mechanical trades and I love all this army truck business too. I will post about what happens.

joshuaz223

we had about 30" of snow so I took it out to the property and explored a little. It's pretty cool getting that truck into a powerslide and four wheel drift. I was on my own so I couldn't get any action shots but here is one from when I got home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks