• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

lawdog1623

I removed my old injection pump, oil cooler and fuel filters from the engine in preparation for paint. I Sent front end body panels off to be sandblasted and my winch drive shaft is off to powdercoat. I should have the engine completely finished before july 4. My kids cant wait for me to get it back on the road

Dipstick

I removed my Whistler turbo with the intent of rebuilding using wsucougarx's magnificent post on the subject as a guide. Everything was looking good until I saw the exhaust turbine wheel. It looks like someone had taken a grinder to it! They removed a lot of material. I'm trying to figure out my options now. I don't want to reuse that wheel.

brianp454

I spoke to J & H Turbo Service, Greenville, Mississippi some time back and found them to be very helpful and their prices very reasonable. I've been curious about different or hi-perf mods. Let me know if it works out! http://www.jhdiesel.com/Schwitzer.htm

I removed my Whistler turbo with the intent of rebuilding using wsucougarx's magnificent post on the subject as a guide. Everything was looking good until I saw the exhaust turbine wheel. It looks like someone had taken a grinder to it! They removed a lot of material. I'm trying to figure out my options now. I don't want to reuse that wheel.

swindad2

Started disassembling the interior for paint. Labeling all the gauge connectors. Removing all the junk (useless fasteners, etc). Anyone know what the knob in the last pic is for? It 20130613_183924.jpg20130613_192446.jpg20130613_153907.jpg20130613_153924.jpg20130613_153825.jpg20130613_185754b.jpgis not connected to anything. Just curious.

Welder Sam

Cant beat that. Im getting ready to install a 3rd kit. Theyre so much better than air wipers. Realcustomtrucks(ted) has replacement blades when youre ready
Consider removing that valve and putting a switch in the hole if you add aux electronics?

welldigger

Thanks. That's what I suspected. It has the A3 style electric kit on it, so no air parts.
My truck is the same way. I ended up putting a plug in the switch. It kept leaking air and getting on my nerves. I'll remove it when I start interior work.

The a3 wipers are a VAST improvement over air wipers.

swindad2

:shock: Dang! Someone stole the flux capacitor. I know. I have a new hard copy of the TM. You guys answered before I could walk back to the house to get it. I like to get the experts' opinion anyway.

Dipstick

I exchanged emails with JH Diesel. I bought a rebuild kit from them several weeks ago. Arthur told me the ground down portion is a normal. It's the method used to balance the turbo wheels when rebuilding them. My exhaust turbine just had way too much metal removal for me (I'll post a pic if I can). I ordered a brand new "Whistler" from Eastern Surplus. It was very expensive and I must be nuts, but I'll feel better when it's installed. It should arrive in a few more days. Thanks for the posting the link brianp454.

brianp454

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that. I have a brand new D turbo in the box and know the crazy prices some of the surplus folks are asking. My budget just doesn't allow for their prices... I'll let go of my D turbo for quite a bit less than what they want.

I exchanged emails with JH Diesel. I bought a rebuild kit from them several weeks ago. Arthur told me the ground down portion is a normal. It's the method used to balance the turbo wheels when rebuilding them. My exhaust turbine just had way too much metal removal for me (I'll post a pic if I can). I ordered a brand new "Whistler" from Eastern Surplus. It was very expensive and I must be nuts, but I'll feel better when it's installed. It should arrive in a few more days. Thanks for the posting the link brianp454.

sgtrisk

Replaced a dead wheel cylinder in preparation for bringing the M109A3 home. I sold it to an acquaintance a couple of years ago and was lucky enough to return to the area and buy it back. Unfortunately they didn't do a lick of maintenance on it. I'm surprised they didn't get killed going over the Blue Ridge Mountains last year with leaky brakes!

Went off and left the brand new axle gasket at home (grrrr...) so I wasn't able to complete the repair.

Bled, and bled, and bled the line at that wheel. Went through a whole quart of DOT 3 brake fluid, and it still isn't where I want it. I need to bleed the air boost unit before I drive it.

When I get it home I'm planning on draining the system of the old DOT 3 fluid and replacing it with DOT 5. That should keep me busy for a few days. Glad I ran across the thread about making a power bleed unit!!

thj327

Just replaced right front knuckle boot, right side center axle inner/ outer seals. Fixed my oil pressure issue, fdc bypass, and tomorrow installing pass bench seat and seat belt kit from a m35a3

RobM36A2

Just put on the bows, together with my cousin. Because it is an M36A2, we need 7 bows, but because of some failed/rusted corner pieces, we stuck to 6 bows. Maybe putting on the tarp next weekend.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets see , busy week , removed all the drums and bearings , brakes & WC's like new , removed CTIS system, replaced seals , and bearings , adjusted brakes LOF , paint chassis while I was at it . Installed 395's all around , checked all fluids , good to go . BTW , CTIS system is a POS , who approved that deal WOW , bk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks