• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that. I have a brand new D turbo in the box and know the crazy prices some of the surplus folks are asking. My budget just doesn't allow for their prices... I'll let go of my D turbo for quite a bit less than what they want.
brianp454. Thanks for the D turbo offer. I'm going to stay with my commitment to the seller and follow through on my purchase. He's always come through for me in the past. Also, I love that Whistler sound.
You're right about the high prices some charge.

Welder Sam

If you have the a3 wipers you appreciate them more. Air wipers I do not like at all.
100% agree. Well worth the $ to upgrade unless u only drive in nice weather. I tend to take mine and the camper out for weekend trips and alot can happen over the course of 2hrs(100mi 1way) in arkansas.. like a rain forest almost here

cyruscat

Oil change and filters (spin ons). Drain and refill transfer case and tranny. Full grease job, man there is a lot of fitting?! Then a nice long 100 mile plus cruise around home on the back roads in south Arkansas. Next thing I need to do is repack the rear axle bearing. While I'm in there replace the wheel cylinders and all rubber lines. Already did the fronts during winter. PS: One more thing, add a redneck A/C. I have a 5000 watt 24 volt to 110 volt converter wired in and planning on buying one of the little $100 110 window A/Cs and putting in back window of soft top. Heck they come with a remote control even! Will build rack for it in bed so all weight will be supported back there.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did I do to our Deuce today???

Well, since our Deuce is the only motorized MV in our motorpool (also have some trailers) we looked into acquiring somewhere between one and three more (maybe even a tracked-MV) so that The ARK isn't an "only child" any longer.

Please keep these acquisitions in your prayers.

Chaplain out.

hunderliggur

Busy day, mounted a receiver hitch, manually activated backup light, pulled the cable from the receiver to the cab for brakes, installed a Dynomax 21470 muffler from Summit Racing. Don't have a DB reading yet but the sound is definitely deeper and less harsh.Curing the paint right now - 10 min idle, 20 min cool, 20 min idle 20 min cool, 30 minutes running. I'll be up for a little while! IMG_3532.jpgIMG_3531.jpg

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removed the old multi fuel heater, making the box over the cab a sleeping area. Also picked up a slim water tank seen on left. Not sure if old heater is scrap or worth something.

2013-06-16 17.12.16.jpg2013-06-16 19.43.40.jpg

brianp454

Lookin' good! If you can do a youtube video or good recording of the sound it would be most appreciated. Also, where did you get the hitch?

Busy day, mounted a receiver hitch, manually activated backup light, pulled the cable from the receiver to the cab for brakes, installed a Dynomax 21470 muffler from Summit Racing. Don't have a DB reading yet but the sound is definitely deeper and less harsh.Curing the paint right now - 10 min idle, 20 min cool, 20 min idle 20 min cool, 30 minutes running. I'll be up for a little while! View attachment 434793View attachment 434794

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished a BIG TIME PM , removed the CTIS from the MV ,and replaced all the bearings and seals with A2 style , not a bad job , painted the under Carriage , brakes and WC's were like new ,just adjusted them up , did a LOF , fuel filter and finally installed my 395's that I have had for a year ! came out pretty good . Have to give it a road test tomorrow . ready for july 4th parade .

100_1005[1].jpg100_1007[1].jpg100_1001[1].jpg100_1000[1].jpg

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took the Brushgaurd (radiator grill) and botton plate off. The bottom plate was only hanging on by 1 screw since I got the truck. Hammered some of the dents out (wasn't too successful - that steel is strong!). Wire brushed the rust spots and modified the bottom plate for license plate mounting. I used two square nylon license plate inserts (for easy license plate change-out if needed in the future). painted the entire assembly and re-installed it. Then I reapplied the camo pattern and installed the new plates.

No where near the amount of work that RTK did above, but I'm as pleased with my work as RTK should be with his work! :beer:

Here are some photos:

CIMG0116.jpgCIMG0118.jpgCIMG0117.jpg

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks , it was a lot of work ,and YES it feels great to have it done ! It was not to bad a job , and changing out the bearings and seals was not that big a deal once I got the secret on how to remove the CTIS ring , just got into the zone as they say , Plus you get to check every thing else under your MV at the same time . It took about 2 weeks with the RAIN delays and getting the tires mounted . As a FYI , my A3 has a little over 8000 miles and 3 Of the rear axle CTIS seals were leaking gear oil into the bearings bad . bob k

welldigger

Thanks , it was a lot of work ,and YES it feels great to have it done ! It was not to bad a job , and changing out the bearings and seals was not that big a deal once I got the secret on how to remove the CTIS ring , just got into the zone as they say , Plus you get to check every thing else under your MV at the same time . It took about 2 weeks with the RAIN delays and getting the tires mounted . As a FYI , my A3 has a little over 8000 miles and 3 Of the rear axle CTIS seals were leaking gear oil into the bearings bad . bob k
The secret to removing the ctis ring is?

A few days ago, I was planning to post a few pics of the latest progress on Project "Corporal Punishment" along with shots of the freshly buffed off tires and when I fired up the truck, NO AIR! :mad: When I got into tracking the problem, (process of elimination) I concluded the problem had to be the air pack (airbrake cylander per the TM) and after getting into the old air pack the PO left in the bed for reference, I removed the section and found the main air valve in the cone where the air comes in from the tank was stuck wide open and was also causing the brakes to lock. I cleaned up the old one when I took it apart and swapped out that section. I now have plenty of air and better brakes than I've had in the year since I've had the truck.
Also before the air boondoggle, I was going to comment on now having the only bobbed deuce I've seen yet to have leather seats. If Anyone else has leather in thier deuce, I'd love to see pics, but otherwise, here's a few shots of the new upholstery thanks to two different leather office chairs, and 2 cushions from a leather couch.
When I get the chance to pick up a can of vinyl paint, I'll squirt down the mis-matched driver's seat bottom pad black to match the rest.
:driver:

Attachments

Last edited:

hunderliggur

Lookin' good! If you can do a youtube video or good recording of the sound it would be most appreciated. Also, where did you get the hitch?
I got the hitch from TM America on this site. Excellent workmanship. Add a 12" receiver tube and weld it up. Kit comes with the two large plates and two spacers. Make sure you leave enough room from the top of the spacer to the frame. I clamped mine together first and measured to check the fit, then a friend welded it for me.

Sound is about 10dB lower according to spl meter on an iPhone. I'll get a video later.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BURN IT OFF !!! , really , you just need to heat up the epoxy with a torch , I used a rosebud , and then use you basic BFH and give the air ring a few whacks , it will fall right off . Then I used a flap wheel to clean up the axle housing , good to go as they say . Then just get a plug for the air line hole in the backing plate , or silicon it , what ever works for you . On the up side I know have a full set of USED CTIS bearings for sale ! LOL , bob k

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks