• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

TsgtB

Well, the transmission is in, jack shaft and pto shafts back on, greased most of the front zerks, got the fuel lines and cables all on, shocked myself by being able to get that little "check ball" and spring, back into the linkage end... (clutch end)
Floor boards are 99% in.... ( I must have dented the edge of the firewall, while pulling the engine.... pounded it all back into shape...)
I do need to find a replacement for my throttle cable (for the winch) it got pinched somehow...
Ordered my lower radiator hose, so i'll get the radiator and grill and fan all on when that comes in...
so, its getting there.

SignalNco

Brought my Deuce Home

This is my first post here on Steel Soldiers. Got my Deuce moved from Richmond, VA to my home near Winchester, VA yesterday. Could not have done it without the help of some outstanding individuals and a great running 5-ton. Will post pictures and details shortly.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my first post here on Steel Soldiers. Got my Deuce moved from Richmond, VA to my home near Winchester, VA yesterday. Could not have done it without the help of some outstanding individuals and a great running 5-ton. Will post pictures and details shortly.
Welcome Aboard :lol:
Find a bunk, stow your gear and prepare to get underway :driver:

drivebymashing

MY brother in law said it smelled like a kerosene heater with the wick turned all the way up so it smokes alot. Hahahaha. MY truck has a the fdc bypassed it doesnt smoke much but does some.

TsgtB

Took off the stock oil and fuel filters and put on my spin on adapters and filters, I was going to use the stock filters to break the engine. but after 22 years of "preservation" I didn't want them coming apart on me..... and I put on a new primary since I was at it.

The stuff they had in the fuel for "preservation" was like 30wt motor oil....
Put on some new cables to the starter, made sure my grounds at the starter and back of the head were good.
Batteries are both fully charged, exhaust is back on, air filter housing in mostly on, left the turbo to air cleaner pipe off in case of "runaway"
so I can block it off.
I just need to connect the batteries and bleed the fuel filters, and bleed the brakes and top off the BF.
and hopefully hit the red button tomorrow....

oddshot

Removed the fuel tank ... and the rest of the fuel system, including lines, all the way up to the IP.

Then installed a new tank screen (made from a VW Beetle oil filter), an external fuel pump, rerouted the lines down the drive side of the truck, to a new spin-on water separator/ fuel filter, and installed a new set of spin-on primary/secondary fuel filters ala Rusty Stud, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?123548-Spin-on-Fuel-Filters&highlight=fuel+filters

I check and repaired or replaced all fuel feed and return lines as needed.

Then I rebuilt and adjusted the injectors ala Ford Mechanic, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ilding-testing-and-TM-and-compression-testing

... and then adjusted the valves and installed new belts for good measure.

Apart from cutting 4 feet off the aft end and painting the old guy green, I think these are some of the best mods and maintenance items I have ever done to this truck.

Next, I will be installing new HH O rings and my driver's side fuel tank (with VW Beetle oil filter based pickup screen) and external fuel pump.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

I noticed that the trucks painted with the desert tan CARC paint start to turn black after sitting in the Florida humidity for 6 months or more. Went down to the local Army Reserve & low & behold, all of their trucks are doing the same thing, but much worse than mine. Time must be a big factor in the equation. Anyway,
I got a scrub brush with comet & scrubbed all the black off. Is anybody else out there having this black mold problem on their tan painted trucks?

welldigger

I noticed that the trucks painted with the desert tan CARC paint start to turn black after sitting in the Florida humidity for 6 months or more. Went down to the local Army Reserve & low & behold, all of their trucks are doing the same thing, but much worse than mine. Time must be a big factor in the equation. Anyway,
I got a scrub brush with comet & scrubbed all the black off. Is anybody else out there having this black mold problem on their tan painted trucks?
It happens on my green truck as well. The carc is so rough that the pores of it make a wonderful habitat for the mold.

wilfreeman

Yep - and mine is painted with Gillespie tan. Diluted Purple Power takes it off easily. Mine needs washing now.

TsgtB

Hooked up power bleeder, I expected a little more pressure from the air pack and wheel cylinders, but I was able to get decent results.
Connected batteries (no sparks or weird noises) flipped on the master switch and fuel pump and air buzzer come on as usual.
Took less than a minute to fill up 3 new fuel filters and looked to be good pressure at the bleeder.
Noticed a drip in front of the front axle.... a GOOD steady drip.
Took the PTO shaft off the front, looked for a leak in the FDC or that area....
Dripping fuel off the steering box.... down the rubber to metal fuel connection... took a close look... Its not loose....
Took the rubber line off... sure enough, its got a good crack at the upper end.
It was 4:45pm on Sunday... rushed up to NAPA... they closed at 4...
Can NAPA built the fuel hose? Do they have the fittings..?
I thought I read someone had luck with NAPA, we'll see in the morning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks