• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Jeepsinker

I've been welding for a long time and never seen or heard of anyone welding stainless to mild steel at all, much less with a mig. I'm not saying your wrong, I don't know everything. Just never heard of it.

welldigger

Really? The best way to weld stainless to mild with a mig is to use stainless wire and tri mix gas.

However in this application regular steel wire and 75/25 gas will work fine. May not be the prettiest weld but it will hold in this application.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Yeah I just verified myself. To my defense I've never been an exhaust welding technician other than on my own vehicles. I've always just done fab work with mild steel. Apparently it holds fine, the welds just rust so it needs to be painted.

welldigger

Yeah I just verified myself. To my defense I've never been an exhaust welding technician other than on my own vehicles. I've always just done fab work with mild steel. Apparently it holds fine, the welds just rust so it needs to be painted.
Yes the welds will rust and they will be brittle. I would never suggest this technique for anything structural. But, we are talking about holding a muffler in place.

TruckGuy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Muffler is stainless steel. In the pics you can see I welded the top of the muffler to a piece of the J-pipe, bottom is held with band clamp. Not be nicest looking weld, but solid and will hold fine. The muffler wall is thin. Had to basically use tack welds, tack - rotate - tack - rotate.......

marcel 01

hi , i removed the leftfender and toolbox to do some rust repair at side and underneath the cab. removed several layers of paint to give it a fresh coat of od green. then sanded the hood to look for its hood number to apply it again and to find out the history of the truck.
20141221_174609.jpg20141223_093539.jpg20141231_160106.jpg
green greetings from the netherlands
marcel

rustystud

Actually if you use 308L to weld with, the weld will not rust. I worked 10 years as a welder metal fabricator at Kolstrand Marine. We made all sorts of products for the fishing fleet. Used literally tons of stainless steel.

nchittendon

With record temps here in Wisconsin, I was concerned my batteries were frozen. The truck has been plugged in for about a week now, so I wasn't too worried about the engine itself, but those batteries had me worried. Went out today, and she fired right up. The only thing that seemed odd was the voltmeter. It bounced around a little bit, but hovered right around the green part. Once the truck ran for a short time, it stopped bouncing around and she just purred. I was quite pleased. These are awesome machines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks