• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

hypertex

Here's a pic showing I had a problem. It was an extremely slow leak from the coupling hose right behind the filters. At first I thought that the clamp had just worked loose. Tightened it and idled for 30 minutes but the seepage returned. Was able to replace the couplers at both ends only removing the front filter housing.
leak.jpg

Replaced the hoses on the oil cooler water line with nice new silicone hoses. Thanks for the suggestion Rusty!
Filled it up with Fleetguard coolant(hmmm..it's red!)

Soon afterwards I noticed the brake lights were inoperative. Read up on others experiences and went to work. Continuity showed good on the switch but wouldn't light up save my shorting the contacts. "Ohmed out" the switch; showed open and 1000 ohms. It's possible some voltage was passing, but not enough to be noticeable at the light during the day. Perhaps this resistance can be used for troubleshooting.
brakeswitch.jpg

Went online to Erik's and secured the switch(I also asked for valve cover gasket availability but they're still out.) Was worried about removing the hydraulic switch because several members mentioned it would snap off. Only thing that came to mind was that something other than teflon was used when the part was installed. With the help of a propane torch and laser thermometer I heated the nose up to 180 degrees. I didn't feel comfortable going higher because I didn't know if any seals lived in the nose. Applied steady force with a 1" socket and removed the switch intact. Installation was a snap because of info and pics on this great site.

Next up: peashooter's brake line upgrade, coolant filter and a valve adjustment

Last edited:

drivebymashing

Yes much smoother even one thousand pounds makes a big difference in ride quality. Those pics are with one rear inside flat tire also. Im not sure how much weight that is somewhere around 8-10 thousand maybe?

Dipstick

I drove my Deuce to work last night in snow. He drove pretty well, although windshield squirters would have been nice to have. My truck is now totally white from the salt. Darn! I was just informed by my apartment management company, that after two years, they don't want me parking my bobber in the lot anymore and threaten to tow it at my expense if I do. I guess I'm going to have to rent a parking space at the local lock and storage place.

Jeepsinker

I finally adjusted my driver side door so it closes smoothly, lubed all my latch mechanisms, window regulators, and tracks. Also oiled my tach and speedometer cables. FINALLY got my driver side windshield (new) to close by heating the rubber gasket with a small propane torch very carefully. Added some weatherstripping to seal up some large gaps around the door frame to hardtop interface.

Another Ahab

I drove my Deuce to work last night in snow. He drove pretty well, although windshield squirters would have been nice to have. My truck is now totally white from the salt. Darn! I was just informed by my apartment management company, that after two years, they don't want me parking my bobber in the lot anymore and threaten to tow it at my expense if I do. I guess I'm going to have to rent a parking space at the local lock and storage place.
They could have been friendlier with the notice.

Maybe South of the Mason-Dixon it would have been the exact same story, but the notice would have started out with "We are very sorry. And we hate to tell you this, but..."

- Either way That will kill your day. And you don't need it.

Hope you work something out.

Last edited:

Seth_O

My general theory on this stuff is to not be a jerk. That being said, what's in your contract? The reality is that a bobber is just a big truck, tough to legally single it out. They can't tell you not to park there because they "don't like" the truck.

Dipstick

Thanks gents. The manager's notice said that you can't "store" vehicles in the lot. Store? I drive my bobber two or three times a week. He also considers it to be a "non-passenger" vehicle. Gee, I wonder what the seats are for then? It's nothing more than a very large pickup truck. I've not had a single complaint from any of my neighbors. In fact, it's tough for me to work on him sometimes because everyone comes out to talk to me and ask what I'm doing? Even the local LEO's frequently stop to talk to me about him. The same late model cars always park next to me. They know I can handle Brutus well. This guy just has his head up his a**. I wish I could afford some land and/or a house. I can't wait until he starts busting me about my '08 Mustang GT. I have that covered because it only has 5,700 original miles and has never been driven in rain or snow. Some people just like to rain on other people's parades.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man if I had a vehicle like that when I was 21 , I would be divorced at LEAST 3-4 times by now !!!! LOL

archmark

When the rain finally stopped, I got motivated and changed the oil and while I was at it, I installed Westfolk's spin-on oil filter adapters. Simple installation and no more screwing around with those **** canisters. Next weekend, weather permitting, on goes Westfolk's primary and secondary spin-on fuel filter adapters...

Dipstick

So you drive the the truck and store the car and they are getting you on the truck?
Pugsley,

I drive both. I just got back from running errands in my bobber. My Mustang is covered when it's not being driven, which is anytime it rains or snows. It has never been driven in rain or snow. Not once. The apartment guy is just a p***k. Thanks for asking.

Dipstick

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello another ahab, and yes,i tried to do that. I have 5 units that dont work and I tested them with my ohm meter and wrung out the wiring first with the controller apart,and then with the directional control all together. I figured out what pins on the control are switched with the movement on the control handle. Then I tested the control on my bench and proved that the correct pins were being connected by the control handle. . Then I drew a picture of the pin arrangement on the female receptacle in the cab, and jumpered them just as the controller is supposed to do, then observed what lights went on,and I also tested the flasher. I hope my notes are legible, if not, i will redo them and repost.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks