• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

rustystud

There's a thread on SS somewhere that has a huge debate over this, I changed to DOT3 because I drive my truck fairly regularly, while the military ones may set for months on end. Also water absorbs into DOT 3, it seperates from DOT 5, for some reason everybody thinks this is good, but the water then rests on the bottom of your brake lines, I had a spark from a arc welder hit the bottom of my brake line in a low spot and that's all it took to start a leak. With the water suspended in the DOT 3 it can't rust anything effectively (as quickly) as just the plain water concentrated at the lowest spot in your brake lines. OF course, YES, for that reason you should change your DOT 3 every two to 3 years, depending on how humid it is where you live. But thats why I went back to DOT 3. because this site, and my experience with my leak caused me to decide DOT 5 isn't right for me and my Deuce.....YMMV.
That is why you bleed out a little bit every time you inspect the brake system. The TM's mention this. This way there is never any water in your system and your seals stay nice and lubed with the Silicone fluid.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Juuuuust got started on servicing the front axle. This is a big "first" for me. Following that awesome "stepXstep" article by Banshee365:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?8460-Front-axle-seals-and-boots-stepXstep

I've only dug into the passenger side, but so far the axle and brakes actually look really good, just has some old oil seals that are leaking slightly and torn boots - otherwise probably didn't even need service.

Whatever that yellow grease that the military used, it is a BEAST to remove. It's sticky even.

Attachments

Another Ahab

I've only dug into the passenger side, but so far the axle and brakes actually look really good, just has some old oil seals that are leaking slightly and torn boots - otherwise probably didn't even need service.
No kidding; and the photos look like something from a textbook. Nice shooting!

Last edited:

Tommy78

Braved the cold long enough to change oil pressure sending unit and add cable air tank drain valves. Need to install reverse light and lic. plate light so I can get it inspected. Just been too cold! The snow hasn't been helpful either.

drivebymashing

unfortunate;y thats as good as I can come by. That truck got stuck in the snow so I pulled him out . If you look closely at rear wheels with snow packed in them thats from the donuts. Sorry for the sad proof.

Pugsley

Drifted it in the snow. Donuts in a deuce are painful. I would not recommend it.
I have done the same, it's not that bad as long as you don't hit and large drifts or cars or lamp post! I was drifting it around corners and all I can say is it is like life is stuck in slow motion and there is nothing you can do to correct if things go south.

Clay James

Put 395s on the 109 so the Firestone T831 duallys that were on it could go on the M35A2C. These are on the aluminum MRAP wheels and I used Peashooter's adapter plates. Opted not to flip the rear hubs. I think it looks better that way :D

IMG_8513.jpg

Clay James

Thanks! Those lights were perfect for the front bumper. Just removed a bolt on each side and put them in and they look like they belong there.

machinist75

Put 395s on the 109 so the Firestone T831 duallys that were on it could go on the M35A2C. These are on the aluminum MRAP wheels and I used Peashooter's adapter plates. Opted not to flip the rear hubs. I think it looks better that way :D

View attachment 544938

I saw in your build thread the armored lights had infrared lenses in them. Did you get new lights or did you change out the lenses. If you just got new lenses where did you get them if you mind me asking. You can pm me you response if you would like.

18operator

It's a nice enough day, so I went to the barn and started the Deuce up, let it run for a while, and made sure everything was OK. Then I removed the battery box to do some maintenance on the batteries and the box itself.

RobM36A2

The weather was nice overhere, so went out to the M36 and started her up. Let her run at about 1100 rpm for a while, gave her some "black" fuel she loves so much, and got all my tools out. I love the smell of the exhaust with the black stuff with frying oil in the tank. After about 30 mins I shut her down and went home.

Some guy wanted to come and look, but he was a no-show.. same guy that wanted to trade for the Unimog 406.. Got a mail that said he was swamped in his work and wanted to come next weekend..
Now a Hungarian guy is interested in buying. Dunno what to do, wait for the first guy maybe coming next week, or let the Hungarian know he can come and look.. The first guy is also from The Netherlands and has to drive about 1.5 hrs, the other, well, I don't know how far he must go..

welldigger

The weather was nice overhere, so went out to the M36 and started her up. Let her run at about 1100 rpm for a while, gave her some "black" fuel she loves so much, and got all my tools out. I love the smell of the exhaust with the black stuff with frying oil in the tank. After about 30 mins I shut her down and went home.

Some guy wanted to come and look, but he was a no-show.. same guy that wanted to trade for the Unimog 406.. Got a mail that said he was swamped in his work and wanted to come next weekend..
Now a Hungarian guy is interested in buying. Dunno what to do, wait for the first guy maybe coming next week, or let the Hungarian know he can come and look.. The first guy is also from The Netherlands and has to drive about 1.5 hrs, the other, well, I don't know how far he must go..
First come, first serve is my policy. This is because there are so many tire kickers out there I don't have time to ignore a potential buyer just so the guy who promised he would come never shows up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks